Labelling of kosher and halal meat

pegasus bridge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the least it needs to be clearly labelled! The animal rights lot would do well to focus more attention on this than anything else.

Bang on the money there! :good::good:

We were staying with the uvver arfs son at Christmas and he was banging on about how animals with their throats cut die instantly. I found him a video of one of those ******** slitting the throat of a cow in a crush and he nearly brought up his dinner. Trouble is the propaganda is telling the unquestioning people out there that it is humane to kill animals that haven't first been stunned in this way. It is nothing short of disgraceful and cruelty that is totally unecessary.

Just to add another side - firstly whilst they have a common background the practice of Halal and Kosher (i.e. the implementation) is fundamentally different. Certainly neither stun but there is an argument that the low scale killing is no worse than large factory slaughterhouses.

Also, the rump of the cow is not considered Kosher because it contains the sciatic nerve, therefore the hindquarters of the animal will be sold to the main meat trade.

So if this is labelled people might be surprised that they've eaten Kosher meat already

Come on the elephant in the room is our own killing of animals, how many die totally stunned 100% dead every time?

Always knew you were odd, eating elephants now LOL

If not every single one that is stunned is dead before its throat is cut at least the majority are spared the needless suffering inflicted on the poor beasts that just have their throats cut.

Always knew you were odd, eating elephants now LOL

If not every single one that is stunned is dead before its throat is cut at least the majority are spared the needless suffering inflicted on the poor beasts that just have their throats cut.

None of them are dead before their are throats cut they would not bleed properly if they were. being stunned is better than not though

All the fresh meat in supermarkets is hala already except morrisons.

I've sent many letters to rspca about this matter but there not interested at all. Not even a reply. This is something I feel very strongly about and this cruelty should be stopped.

Probably because the FSA did a survey in 2011 and found that 88% of animals slaughtered by halal traditions are stunned anyway. Bear in mind that the survey was done in 2011, its safe to assume that percentage is much higher now.

Always thought it was an abhorrent practice, seems its okay for religious purposes but jailtime for non religious.

johnnie

The procedure is exactly the same as any other slaughter except the name of god is mentioned to recognise that this animal about to be slaughtered is one of gods creations.

All the fresh meat in supermarkets is hala already except morrisons.

I've sent many letters to rspca about this matter but there not interested at all. Not even a reply. This is something I feel very strongly about and this cruelty should be stopped.

they wouldn't dare touch that subject because they would just be labelled racist they will only go after things they can win and things that will only show them in a positive light

and if they did could you imagine the ****storm it would cause?

Pigeons flapping on the deck, a running pheasant, a goose that cannot be found even though it fell 30yds away, a deer that dies from starvation from a misplaced shot, do I need to go on?

All of those examples are by-products of poor shots and not the desired consequences of deliberate actions. I know what you are saying but our aim (excuse the pun) is to kill cleanly and quickly and with little suffering. Slaughtering practices that are driven by religious dogmas and not animal welfare are very hard to justify and I would like the choice not to eat them in the same way I choose not to eat battery farmed chickens.

Come on the elephant in the room is our own killing of animals, how many die totally stunned 100% dead every time?

No of course not, BUT I'm sure we all put in as much effort as possible to achieve a quick humane death. Quite frankly if shooting always achieved a death akin to halal slaughter - I personally would stop shooting .

As a consumer I should be given the clear choice with labelling to decide if I want to eat meat slaughtered in a religious manner .

All of those examples are by-products of poor shots and not the desired consequences of deliberate actions. I know what you are saying but our aim (excuse the pun) is to kill cleanly and quickly and with little suffering. Slaughtering practices that are driven by religious dogmas and not animal welfare are very hard to justify and I would like the choice not to eat them in the same way I choose not to eat battery farmed chickens.

A sensible and fair response with which I agree.

Seeing your post, I have deleted my own since it would have been far more personal and there is absolutely no point - heads and walls.

The problem really is that in all practises of slaughter, some do it better than others. You could also embed a link to a youtube vid showing a humane halal and publish test results of the brain receptors that they conducted on the paid levels they see (Even stunned animals brain receptors went into a huge spike when slaughtered). It's very silly to just believe a couple of videos.

The other side of the coin, I am an ex pest controller who worked for one of the large nationals, I used to go to slaughter houses frequently, and at one I physically was sick and had to leave. The stupidness of what they practised was appalling.

I.e Chickens didn't get stunned, just hung upside down by their feet on the hooks and taken up a conveyor belt where a spinning blade that their head off. Watching them squirm around and try to escape seeing the spinning blade slowing coming was HORRIBLE. This was a western and as white as they come place. Oh, this is after they had been sat on top of each other carping on each others heads and sitting in carp for days (None had feathers on their bottom halves do to hock burn) and they would then die just as miserably too.

I'm not defending one rather than other, just highlighting that don't believe a few vid's on the net based on your own religious views.