12 bore cartridge info

Took some pics but for some reason I can't post JPG images on this site

The case is of oak and leather but is in poor condition but I do have the key for the lock.

The label reads

Established 1818

Geo Hinton and Sons

Gun Rifle and Cartridge Manufacturers

Fishing Tackle and General Sporting Goods

Fore Street, Taunton.

BIt of info: http://www.hellis.com/history.html

Another Co-Director at this time was Charles William Hellis, the son of Charles Robert, who after a family disagreement in 1946 left the firm to start up on his own, having bought the old established gunmaking business of George Hinton & Sons of Taunton, Somerset. He became Chairman of the Gunmakers Association in 1961 and 1964 and was elected Chairman of the Long Sufferers Association. His son John M. Hellis continued the business after his father’s death in 1983.

George Hinton and Sons and Frank Richards stores served Tauntons shooting population right through until the 1970/80's,

I looked at a recently restored Geo Hinton boxlock of theirs last week and it was well made. Sadly in the early 70's the centre of Taunton was "modernised" and the old shop on Fore Street was turned into the entrance for a shopping area.. Frank Richards had a shop on the fringe of the Taunton shopping zone ( now opposite the antique centre). But it closed in the 80's and Taunton lost it last gun store.. Its a shame, I still have the memory of going in as a child with my father and seeing the racks of guns, shelves of knives (and they also sold fireworks for Nov 5th !). Also I remember the smell of the shop.. leather and gun oil. Bloody lovely..

Dave

Geo Hinton and sons used to supply the black powder for muzzle loading wildfowlers that used them on the Somerset levels in the fifties that I know of, so if they were bought out by Hellis they must have traded under the Hinton name right up to the early sixties.

We had a gun shop in Yeovil that was closer to where I lived but didn't deal in 'low cost' guns or black powder so it meant a long bicycle ride to Taunton or, when I could afford it, a train journey.

I was stopped once cycling home through Langport with a can of powder by a local Bobby and he was very suspicious of me with the powder, he thought I was too young to have 'explosives'

It took him a while to confirm that the legal age for possession of black powder was fourteen and a permit to purchase had been granted in Yeovil.

Frank Richards came a lot later.

Geo Hinton and sons used to supply the black powder for muzzle loading wildfowlers that used them on the Somerset levels in the fifties that I know of,

Frank Richards came a lot later.

When I obtained my wall hanger (damascus hammer gun), in the 1980's, I phoned F Richards to ask them about it. They were amazed, saying that they were a fairly recent business and that there must have been another F Richards trading in Taunton before them. The gun's probably a Birmingham made gun so could have been sold by a hardware store or farm merchants, not necessarily a gunshop.

Frank Richards was a lot later than Geo Hinton and I don't think he dealt in muzzle loading components whereas Geo Hinton had everything for muzzle loaders.

When I was young, before I left school, I used to hear the old boys in their sixties talking of Geo Hinton and wildfowling with punt guns on the Somerset levels.

It was one such 'old boy' that introduced me to muzzle loading after I obtained a single barrel 12 bore made by William Adkin of Bungay. I swopped it at school with a lad for a Bow and Arrow, I reckon I had the best deal.

I used that gun quite a bit and eventually sold it down the Lanes in Brighton in 1962 when on my honey moon for 30/- which almost paid for the best part of my honeymoon. !

• 4 years later...

Hi, I have a George Hinton box lock non ejector 12 bore with 28 inch barrels , Serial No 7180.My late father bought it in a iron mongers shop in Wellington in 1950 for £15 the year I was born, I have been using this gun now for 54 years and it is still in great condition.I wonder if any readers have a Hinton gun , I was informed by a gun smith in George Hintons  shop just before is closed that it was probably 1925 circa.Regards JIM