who got there first

woodfordpigeon

Man alive same as im afraid to say. If I said to farmer, sorry old boy not enough yet he would rightly kick me out and find someone else.

1 bird on a crop is too many. If I go out and only see 1 or no birds at all surely im doing job properly???

Or is it just me!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is bitching just putting over a farmers point of view that's if it's ok with you

Colin[/. It's not from a farmers point of view it's from your point of view. Some may have the same point of view as yourself which I do not . Speak for yourself unless asked otherwise. If somone wants to let pigeons build and the farmer is happy with the service their providing paid or not who are you to say otherwise. Now I sound the bitch. Lol

Man alive same as im afraid to say. If I said to farmer, sorry old boy not enough yet he would rightly kick me out and find someone else.

1 bird on a crop is too many. If I go out and only see 1 or no birds at all surely im doing job properly???

Or is it just me!!!

So if you go and see 20 pigeons feeding on a rape field on your farm, you'd go and set up regardless?

Last Summer I arrived at a stubble field (not large a few acres) to shoot pigeons & crows. While setting up this other shooter arrived and set up on the other side of the field. So I said **** this, if someone is that desperate that they set up on the same field as me then it is not worth it. So I drove around for a couple of hours and found a new field which I had a good bag of pigeons & crows on.

I think it should be first come first served, provided you have permission.

Woodfordpigeon and hatsanman are the only two on here who make any sense .its not about sitting back waiting for big numbers day. Its about crop protection keeping the birds off .when you initially asked the farmer for permission what did 99% of you ask the land owner.do you have anyone looking after the rape fields against the pigeons in winter .the usual reply is yes or no if no then as myself end up with that permission.now if you go sit back waiting for weeks for the right day as some put it but by this time half the fields been eaten away hes gonna say kiss my **** your off as ive witnessed myself . I go 2or3 times aweek now if the birds fly over the lane and stay on his neighbours field all day then hes happy im not cos id like to bag some but thats how you keep your permission going.

I also have thousands of acres i get invited on the last pheasant drive ,partidge too.i have two huge woods that only myself roost shoots and this is because im constantly there doing doing what i initialy asked the farmer for which was to look after his rape fields

Yep if there are pigeons on a field im there.

Can be 1 or 50. Ill give it a bash. I dont go out specifically seeking monster bags. If me sitting there keeps em away then happy dayz.

Besides im happy just being out.

In a way I admire your dedication, but I like to try and minimise the time spent wasted in the field.

Well im shocked. Perhaps im misreading this but im surprised at what people are saying. Seems to be basically no big numbers, not interested.

Oh well each to there own I guess.

I am more shocked that you recon you will happily set up on a field after seeing one pigeon on it !

I am fairly certain the farmer really will not mind one pigeon feeding a 100 acres of rape :lol:

How can it be crop protection if your not protecting it against anything , I know its not all about big bags but I like to think I will get a few shots before carting my gear across a field and freezing my nuts off !

But like you say each to their own.

Edited by fenboy

who is bitching just putting over a farmers point of view that's if it's ok with you

Colin[/. It's not from a farmers point of view it's from your point of view. Some may have the same point of view as yourself which I do not . Speak for yourself unless asked otherwise. If somone wants to let pigeons build and the farmer is happy with the service their providing paid or not who are you to say otherwise. Now I sound the bitch. Lol

if you read my earlier post you will see i work on a farm and talk to the farmer every day and quite often about pigeons and other vermin so as i said earlier what i said is from a farmers point of view as thats how we look at it on our farm

colin

Woodfordpigeon and hatsanman are the only two on here who make any sense .its not about sitting back waiting for big numbers day. Its about crop protection keeping the birds off .when you initially asked the farmer for permission what did 99% of you ask the land owner.do you have anyone looking after the rape fields against the pigeons in winter .the usual reply is yes or no if no then as myself end up with that permission.now if you go sit back waiting for weeks for the right day as some put it but by this time half the fields been eaten away hes gonna say kiss my **** your off as ive witnessed myself . I go 2or3 times aweek now if the birds fly over the lane and stay on his neighbours field all day then hes happy im not cos id like to bag some but thats how you keep your permission going.

I also have thousands of acres i get invited on the last pheasant drive ,partidge too.i have two huge woods that only myself roost shoots and this is because im constantly there doing doing what i initialy asked the farmer for which was to look after his rape fields

Michael think you may have your wires crossed the 2 members name you mentioned are the 2 who sit back and let the numbers build lol

colin

I am more shocked that you recon you will happily set up on a field after seeing one pigeon on it !

I am fairly certain the farmer really will not mind one pigeon feeding a 100 acres of rape :lol:

How can it be crop protection if your not protecting it against anything , I know its not all about big bags but I like to think I will get a few shots before carting my gear across a field and freezing my nuts off !

But like you say each to their own.

I,m certain he won,t lose any sleep over that, in fact I have farmers say to me when I have turn up at the farm theres not been a lot of birds around to be honest so it might not be worth your while, I just say I,ll have look see if its worth setting up and there fine with that but some farmers are different as we all know

I got to field cut maize on the coast hit with bad weather a lot gone on the floor. 500 pigeons on it .He cannot grow winter crops because of salt and wind. So of no interest to the famer he rings me to tell me about them. He knows that I will be back in the summer when they are doing damage.

miles down the road 50 acres of rape with 10 pigeons on it which I am watching.

So I go shoot the stubble. Three weeks on the trot. The last day the best one.

Still only 20 or 30 pigeons on the rape.

So I decide to have a go next day. A van is parked in the gateway and guy I didn't know was shooting.

I walked over and asked if he had permission and said he had been shooting for the first time this year.

He said he was packing up because he had only fired 6 shots and shot one pigeon.

I do know what others are saying at all cost you have to look after the farmers. But be careful of attacking us that have been in this for a long time. Some of these farms I have had for forty years. One local farmer calls me when someone else looks over the gate and asks for a shoot. woodfordpigeon

Apart from a few extreme examples I think we all try to balance keeping the farmer happy and maximise the sport we can have. I would wait for numbers to grow before shooting a field of rape, how long I wait depends on that balance. But if the farmer rang and said he wanted me on it I would be there as soon as possible. I think the farmers on my permission are happy knowing I will go out on rape fields in mid-winter in freezing conditions to keep the birds moving when the sport is limited.

Where we can, we can all maximise numbers when we shoot stubbles, as the only crop protection on stubble is reducing numbers rather than keeping the birds off a growing crop.

Each to their own...we all have to keep the farmers happy and do it as we see fit.

Apart from a few extreme examples I think we all try to balance keeping the farmer happy and maximise the sport we can have. I would wait for numbers to grow before shooting a field of rape, how long I wait depends on that balance. But if the farmer rang and said he wanted me on it I would be there as soon as possible. I think the farmers on my permission are happy knowing I will go out on rape fields in mid-winter in freezing conditions to keep the birds moving when the sport is limited.

Where we can, we can all maximise numbers when we shoot stubbles, as the only crop protection on stubble is reducing numbers rather than keeping the birds off a growing crop.

Each to their own...we all have to keep the farmers happy and do it as we see fit.

Shame they plough the stubble the next day, before you can do any good.....

An example of this by a farmer who told me he was going to leave a bean field at least 2 weeks as they had a lot to do on the other farms...

They cut it and pulled it up the day after! That would have been a mega day with possibly one or 2 other good days on that field....

I all ways shoot his land but it was very disappointing to say the least...

However they want you there when the birds are on the rape and it is a 600 yard walk to shoot the patch the birds are on...

I still go but wait for the birds to build up...

TEH

Possibly the most sensible post within this thread!

Well all I can say is that some of the farms that I look after I have had for forty years and I have about 30000 acres to shoot over. im a full time pest controller and deer manager and get calls from farmers all the time because as you say some don't do the job for them.

Im sorry but your getting upset over someone shooting a few acres of land where you have not shot because of greed and bag banging has blinded you and then you bang on that you have over 30000 acres to shoot over.

some people need to get out more before they loose the lot.