who got there first

woodfordpigeon

So do you go out to shoot pigeons or please the farmer?

By the way, I think it takes a lot for pigeons to completely clear off from an area. I shot on a farm with a full time pest controller. He was round the rape fields all day, moving gas guns and firing rockets. The huge flocks of pigeons would clear off when he arrived, but returned an hour later to have their feed. The process continued perhaps three times a day. The result was no different, the pigeons were still eating the same amount of rape and were still there in the same numbers and completely undecoyable.

Far better to let the birds have a little peace, then hit them hard. This is how to reduce pigeon numbers.

I please the farmers and return i get to fire rockets light rope bangers shoot pigeons,corvids,rabbits,ducks and pheasants,snipe,woodcock etc when in season and have a free run of the land.

so yes i do it for the farmers and don't forget shooting them is the last resort, can you prove when you go out and set your hide up that you have tried all other means.

Best Regards

Neil

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I please the farmers and return i get to fire rockets light rope bangers shoot pigeons,corvids,rabbits,ducks and pheasants,snipe,woodcock etc when in season and have a free run of the land.

so yes i do it for the farmers and don't forget shooting them is the last resort, can you prove when you go out and set your hide up that you have tried all other means.

Best Regards

Neil

No, I don't need to.

It sounds like you're more of a scarecrow, and less of a pigeon shooter.

Whatever i am, it doesn't matter scarecrow,pigeon shooter, pea shooter.

The point was on my earlier post was people watch the fields for weeks and then someones got a hide up when they want to go shooting.

I would be the one sat in the fields rain,wind,snow,floods it doesn't matter to me so all the people that watch them, keep on watching, that's up to you but don't complain when someone else is there banging away.

Me however i don't have that problem because i do that good of a job for the farmers that i am one of two people that shoot there.

Very Best Regards

Neil

its not a case of sitting there watching them build up, I can only get out at weekends due to work but the first chance I get I,m out looking at the rape fields we can shoot and if there is a good number of birds on the rape and it looks promising you bet I will give them a go, but if say theres only a handfull of birds on the field or fields intuition tells me it isn,t worth the effort, also if there is only a handful of birds on the rape I know the farmer isn,t gonna be to bothered, but I know what impresses farmers I know more than anything is showing them a BAGFULL of pigeons not just 2 or 3 in the boot

its not a case of sitting there watching them build up, I can only get out at weekends due to work but the first chance I get I,m out looking at the rape fields we can shoot and if there is a good number of birds on the rape and it looks promising you bet I will give them a go, but if say theres only a handfull of birds on the field or fields intuition tells me it isn,t worth the effort, also if there is only a handful of birds on the rape I know the farmer isn,t gonna be to bothered, but I know what impresses farmers I know more than anything is showing them a BAGFULL of pigeons not just 2 or 3 in the boot

I do the same as you.

I will take a day off work if the farmer has a problem.

I also use 2 weeks off my holidays two weeks after the first harvest to try and reduce the numbers he he.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Guest

Smart pigeon shooter. Happy farmer job done !! Done that been there. got a lovely tee-shirt. woodfordpigeon

I agree. A farmer is far more impressed when you tell him you've just shot over 200 every now and again rather than 6 or 7 every week. I think most serious decoyers will only set up when there is a realistic chance of a bag. I'm not happy to shoot single figure bags.

If I get a specific request from a farmer, I will turn up as soon as I can. However, this is rare, and most of the farmers I shoot for will just let me get on with it, happy in the knowledge that I know what i'm doing and will sort the pigeons out when the opportunity arises.

So do you go out to shoot pigeons or please the farmer?

By the way, I think it takes a lot for pigeons to completely clear off from an area. I shot on a farm with a full time pest controller. He was round the rape fields all day, moving gas guns and firing rockets. The huge flocks of pigeons would clear off when he arrived, but returned an hour later to have their feed. The process continued perhaps three times a day. The result was no different, the pigeons were still eating the same amount of rape and were still there in the same numbers and completely undecoyable.

Far better to let the birds have a little peace, then hit them hard. This is how to reduce pigeon numbers.

Well Motty, that's something we DO agree about!! I had exactly that last year.

:yahoo: WHO GOT THERE FIRST

Anyhow this post has been exhausted now, it's going on and on and on and on like a scratched record.

There is no conclusion to this whether you hit one bird or hundred birds the fact is we all enjoy our hobbies, the arguments and hot point of views should be saved for the people that are trying to stop us from doing what we do.

Even the lead ban,Bird watchers or bunny huggers.

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Guest

:yahoo: WHO GOT THERE FIRST

Anyhow this post has been exhausted now, it's going on and on and on and on like a scratched record.

There is no conclusion to this whether you hit one bird or hundred birds the fact is we all enjoy our hobbies, the arguments and hot point of views should be saved for the people that are trying to stop us from doing what we do.

Even the lead ban,Bird watchers or bunny huggers.

Thanks

Neil

A new post WHO GOT THERE LAST.