Missing with Beretta 391 semi

dingocatcher

Don't put to much pressure on yourself mate just enjoy being out and about. It's not the gun it's the who's behind it. I don't mean that in a bad way.

I've been roost shooting when the winds been blowing hard the pigeons have been coming in flat out and I've missed every thing but enjoyed ever minute of it. And then when the good days come you will enjoy it all the more.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do enjoy the outings a lot but i love a clean kill and it annoys me when i'm not getting them.

I haven't had my eyes tested in a while but i haven't noticed any change in them in other aspects of life that said it could be eyes ok as i'm only ever getting older!

I'm gonna try the pattern plate with one ind of shell through a few chokes and see where i'm hitting compared to where my eyes is aiming and see what happens

Thanks again for all the replies its nice to know theres a bit of help out there

The reason I mentioned eyes is that I found to my surprise that I'm slightly long sighted. I had not noticed any change, and it was only as a result of getting rust and petrol in my eye. My mother in law is a dispensing optician long story short I had to go get my eye checked. I would not of know otherwise.

Eye dominance can be affected by a change in eyesight this can be the cause of otherwise unexplained misses.

I owned a 391 for a good few years. Didn't shoot that well with it, then had a gunsmith look at the fit. Turns out it was cast for a left hander, straight out of the factory! The shim between the stock and action can be flipped over either way to cast it left or right. Worth a check. They also have a far bit of drop, so check that the action isn't obscuring your master eye so much that your other eye is trying to compensate and causing dominence issues.

My nemesis is crow shooting, I have to talk my way into it every shot as I do not give enough lead as they appear to be slow. So it goes like Move, Mount , give a bit more lead, SHOOT. DB my shooting buddy just switches no problem. Changing guns take about five shots to convert . Do not think about it just shoot.

I owned a 391 for a good few years. Didn't shoot that well with it, then had a gunsmith look at the fit. Turns out it was cast for a left hander, straight out of the factory! The shim between the stock and action can be flipped over either way to cast it left or right. Worth a check. They also have a far bit of drop, so check that the action isn't obscuring your master eye so much that your other eye is trying to compensate and causing dominence issues.

Yep, shopping last week and the RFD showed me a Benelli.

"This one is cast on", says I.

Silence!

RFD puts out his hand and I give it back.

RFD looks and bursts out laughing. "I've just sold this but have taken it back in and sold the bloke something else as he couldn't hit anything with it. I hadn't noticed and it's going to cost me some cartridges as an apology."

Sounds like shooting in front, if the wad looks like it is likely to hit the bird, given how much faster it slows down that the far heavier shot, the fact that you are killing what you do hit suggests you are hitting the head end with the trailing edge of the shot pattern.

It can happen amazingly consistently. A mate of mine and I shot pigeons over decoys one time and decided to keep 20 which we then plucked. Out of all 20 birds plucked not a single one had a pellet in the body so we must have been shooting a bit in front on that day for some reason. Funny thing is we hardly missed any that we shot at.

I've found hat once you start to miss you end up over analysing, trying to measure lead etc. rather than naturally swinging through and taking the shot.

The other thing that can make a bit of difference is the velocity of cartridges being used, they can vary quite a bit but it is usually noted on the box.

Hope you can get it sorted as it can get very frustrating.

also got a al391 mate, before that i was using a nice lightweight 410 and a drainpipe 20 bore hushpower, when i moved up although gun felt great and fitted me well i couldnt hit a barn door with it.

Anyways after getting down in the dumps about it i did a search on here and there was loads of people saying that they just couldnt get on with them, now i parted with a nice wad of cash so i went back to basics, for a whole week or 2 i was doing 10 minutes dry mounting morning and afternoon following cracks on ceilings and mirrors, not holding out much hope but i tried, on the first outting after my hit ratio had trebled and my confidence started coming back.

I also patterned out to 30 yards with half choke with 2 different choices of carts, 5 and 6's 30's and for me noticed that i was actually shooting under my target, worked out 70% shot fell below my target so for me pattern was well out, so then back on roost shooting i adjusted my aim to compensate, nearlly blanking out target with bead and voilla i was there.

It sure is depressing when you get a new gun and expect to hit everything but perservere mate, i didnt use my 410 nor 20 bore for a good 6 months, only ever took the al391 out, and to be honest in past year i think they have only been out twice each, it fits me so well now im used to it, only use cheap carts, if decoying i use 1/2 choke if roost shooting in high firs i use 3/4 but even then for a **** shot like me i cant tell the difference :-)

good luck matey

In my experience 391's shoot flat at best and low for some (me for one!)

The owner of WMSG(he shoots one) takes the bead off and uses the barrel instead.

This apparently raises your POA.

It should be possible to almost match the drop and cast of your O/U using the shims that came with the gun(if they did).

This is the only way to go.

I used to over-lead crows and, like the OP, had wads almost hitting the bird (apparently).

GH

Unless I've missed it there seems to be no mention of eyesight. your eyes can change over time and affect your shooting. If non of the above helps getting your eyes tested may give you an answer if nothing else it will rule that out.

But this would affect his shooting with BOTH clays and pigeons , would it not ???? ???

Edited by Westley

One problem that I had with my 391 was the original rubber recoil pads. They have more grip than a set of Michelins ! Try covering the end of the rubber pad with a smooth duct tape. If the rubber pad is gripping or snagging on your clothing during gun mounting, the gun is probably not coming into your shoulder correctly. I changed the standard pad for the 'Gel' type which is far less grippy, problem solved.

Get a roll of carpet lining paper... It's about 4ft wide. Roll some off, mark it, fix it, shoot and repeat.

^ THIS ^

you'll probably find that the semi is shooting very flat, and that can be an issue in itself...

mine shoots incredibly flat, so much so that i blot the birds out with the barrel before i pull the trigger...

hi mate i have the exact same gun and I had the same problem and went through two months of not getting on with it, personally I used my miroku 800 for a few weeks and then gone back to the 391 and that break gave me the confidence back with my shooting and started smashing targets again! although the fact it is a three shot helped :whistling:

Got out for a while today hitting the pattern plate spot on but went on to do a bit at the crow flight this evening and never hit one! Complete disaster

Gonna head to the clay range tomorrow and see how it goes as i'm ready to change guns after today

Just out of interest i'm right handed the shim between the stock and fore end has the thicker side towards the left is that correct setting for a right handed person

Rights folks

Went to get a few shells today and nearly changed guns to a Browning 525 lovely gun hold but didn't buy.

But i did buy some clear pigeons 30g 6's and my shooting has come good again, i never really gave much thought to shells but today has changed my mind to no end!

I used to use Clear Pigeons a lot but never really minded what was in the chamber, either i've got my mojo back or the clear pigeons are doing the trick. Will see how tomorrow goes

Cheers :shoot:

Went out yesterday morning and shooting off again

Straight to gunsmith and my guns fitting was out he said i was off to the left so changed shims and brought me into line. Its seems to have worked as i was hitting clays a lot easier and not just hitting a few randomly.

Didn't get a chance to get to the crows last night but hope to tomorrow evening

He even said i had put on weight since the last time he had seen me, hopefully it solves my problem as i like the 391

Yet the pattern plate was spot on, but the RFD says that you're off to the left. Although you were hitting some clays easier, the RFD may just have cured the symptom and not the defect. Off to the left for a right shoulder shooter usually indicates a dominant left eye - or more accurately - anything apart from a constant dominant right eye. If the improvement varies and you lose it again, I'd be inclined to have a look for eye dominance, not forgetting that it can change at will.

Yet the pattern plate was spot on, but the RFD says that you're off to the left. Although you were hitting some clays easier, the RFD may just have cured the symptom and not the defect. Off to the left for a right shoulder shooter usually indicates a dominant left eye - or more accurately - anything apart from a constant dominant right eye. If the improvement varies and you lose it again, I'd be inclined to have a look for eye dominance, not forgetting that it can change at will.

What way do i sort out eye dominance if it is that?

Thanks