little black flies

newarcher

same here,I have one in the center of my lap top screen, its behind the screen and I can't get it out.

Is that definitely a fruit fly? Arent these the little tiny ones that crawl on your arm and you can barely see them? Often found behind the glass on picture frames?

These are thunder flies or Thrips

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/40/10/008722/thunderbug_432x315.jpg

The dark flies that hover round fruit and sinks etc are Fruit flies seen here!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uTUbIg48teA/TSau4U2decI/AAAAAAAAAEo/ebC6s6B0tUU/s1600/DSCF4459fruit+fly+adult.jpg

Edited by FatherandSon

Can also come out of compost from house plants.

Mike

We have them in our conservatory at the moment - from compost !

Any suggestion for getting rid of them other than removing all the plants?

(Can't use fly killer sprays due to pets)

Cheers

Edited by station

little black flies are usually drain flies ( a water problem) fruit flies are little orangey flies with red eyes i would suggest you have standing water or very damp place somewere and they are breeding there then disspersing to all other areas try sink traps that dont get used often or any leaks in plumbing . once dry they will go no insecticide needed

Can also come out of compost from house plants.

Mike

This time of year I'd take a bet that's almost certainly what they are. They are actually called Fungus Gnats, and live in the top layer of damp soil in pots. You can break the breeding cycle by letting the soil dry right out. But this has the obvious problem of killing the plants... In severe cases if you want to keep the plants, you can take them out of the pots, tease all the soil off, wash the roots carefully, and repot them in clean sterilised (heated) compost and clean pots. Otherwise just put up with them.

I have them in a potted palm at the moment and have found that one of those slow release fly killer blocks tucked behind the pot really knocks them back.