16 bore v 12 bore opinions / thoughts please

indio

Good Day All,

just wondered what experienced shooters thought of the 16 bore versus a 12 bore.

The usage would be for general shooting opportunities , (rough shooting, pigeon decoying and roost shooting).

interested to hear of other people's experiences

kind regards

Cartridge will be more expensive for the 16 bore and harder to get ahold of.

Personally i like the 16 bore, having shot one alot, mainly on rabbits. You can up to 32gram cartridges for it if needs be so would suit fine for roosting, decoying and rough shooting. Only issue would be non toxic if shooting wildfowl.

If i had to choose i would probably go for the 12 just for ease of getting cartridges.

Most people in my experience who shoot 16 bores will tell you what a good gun they are and would not go back to a 12. It was once explained to me that the 16 has better ballistics due to the size and shape of the shot column but I leave that can of worms for others to debate . As said cartridges are more costly and less choice . I do know that enquiries for both new and second hand 16's have increased of late but whether that's a trend like the quest for longer and longer barrels remains to be seen.

It all coms down to the individuals choice .

I wouldn't personally go out to buy a 16g over a 12g, reasons as previously stated price of carts etc, gun weight will be about the same and offer no improvement in performance , if you were given one or got one cheap then it may be a different matter but as too buying one I don't think it would be worth it unless it was something special you have always wanted, guns are subjective after all

I have a 16g and love it but I still use my 12g for most of my shooting .

If your only having one gun the 12g is the sensible choice , if its a second gun then a 16g is a excellent choice for game / walked up shooting , it will be fine on pigeon but it will get expensive if your having a good day .

I had a little french 16 bore when younger and absolutely loved it. I detect a resurgence in interest in 16's and would certainly buy one in anticipation of them becoming more popular (more easily available carts) as well as enjoying the lighter, faster-handling characteristics. As has been said if you do your bit right, a 16 will kill well and is a bit less of a brute than a 12.

Anyone use them for clays? - recon the confidence of a larger number of pellets outweighs the 'better' ballistics.

I had a 16 as a 14 year old nice gun will do everything a 12 will do.Much later i got a 20 bore also a good gun there is a much better cartridge choice for the 20 .Used 20 almost exclusively for 15 years got geese with it. even shot foxes . Got to be a 20. Dipper.

I had a 16 as a 14 year old nice gun will do everything a 12 will do.Much later i got a 20 bore also a good gun there is a much better cartridge choice for the 20 .Used 20 almost exclusively for 15 years got geese with it. even shot foxes . Got to be a 20. Dipper.

Agree entirely.

When I wanted a lighter carrying gun than a 12 bore side by side I first bought a 20 bore boxlock, but found it too small in my hands and so light that 28g shells were pretty snappy. My sister now has the 20 (with lighter shells) and I replaced it with a 16 bore boxlock. Its usefully smaller and lighter to carry and a pleasure to shoot 28g from. I like the 16. In an over and under or repeater the 20 may make more sense if going lighter than 12.

Hi, I shoot a 16 sxs would not go back to a 12 gauge.

plenty of good sxs out there, weight of a 20, shoots as good as a 12

cartridge costs the same as a 20 gauge, but choice is very limited. especialy if you want to shoot duck( no steel only expensive bismouth)

if you want to go, for an over & under you will have a verry limited choice,

most 16 gauge are built on a 12gauge actions which increases weight and alters the ballance so defeats he point.

the only avaliable 16 O&U on ther own action are browning B25 expensive, Citori reasonable, or lincoln jubilee,

there are a few others but are very rare,

Guest cookoff013

modern ammo is so good, there really isnt that much in it from that point of view.

i`d be more inclined to go 20, if the need for using smaller / lighter gun.

as for the comments about 16 bore loads being far far superior due to shotcolumn etc.... i say pooh to that !

just shoot what you WANT.

16 gauge were once fashionable,I have an old s/s 16 g and love it for the type of shooting you mention.Yes cartridges are a bit more than a 12g does it do anything a 20g would'nt do?No...........I still love it and it comes out lots!Probably because it is a nice gun which just happens to be a 16g.....1 oz of shot through a 16 g is as effective as 1 oz of shot though anything else....I would not see the point of buying a 16 then pushing 32g through it though! But for 40 yards and under at pigeons etc very effective and sweet to shoot.There is sufficient cartridge choice to make it practical I have never had a problem getting cartridges for it for rough shooting etc.Choice for clays/wildfowling is where you have a problem but for 1 oz of No5/6/7 no issues at all. I would look for the right gun,and if it happens to be a 16g then go for it,often are cheaper for same gun as 16g not so fashionable.