Locksmiths? I need some advice please...

p@cman

Evening all,

Having a problem with an ERA multipoint lock (2 mushroom 2 roller) and would appreciate some advice on how to deal with it.

Doors & lock have been in place from new about 6 years or so and has been absolutely fine up until this weekend. The problem is that suddenly the door won't lock properly; The handle won't fully raise up to engage the multilocking points and the key will not fully turn in the lock. There is no sign of external damage or tampering to the door or the lock, so I am presuming that something has gone wrong with either the gearbox or the multipoint mushroom/roller mechanism.

Any advice on whether I should replace just the gearbox or go the whole hog and replace both the gearbox & multipoint mechanism.

Any help and guidance very much appreciated...

Paul.

Hope it's something simple. Had a similar problem with mine only yesterday. The internal mechanism was knackered and had to replace it - £130 later and it's all sorted. I could have picked one up for £30 cheaper on the net but found one locally and wanted to get it done ASAP.

Change the gearbox mate, they have 2 backsets 35 or 45 mm they go all the time. Don't bother trying to clean or take it apart you will struggle to get it back together if your not carefull and most of the time it's a cast piece of metal that brakes.

Gearbox will set u back no more that £20 and is easy DIY fix.

Get stuck pm me, iv got them in stock and will advise on issues.

Ps, I'm asuming its a ERA mech, not era euro cylinder lol. If era cylinder above advise may not be correct!! If it's got era on mech strip then as above :)

Edited by parapilot

Thanks everyone for your all your advice; much appreciated. :good:

I have already tried clearing out all of the keeps and they are ok. As it is, the handle & lock will not fully engagae even when the door is wide open, so the problem is definately within either the gearbox or the multipoint locking strip.

I will look to getting a new gearbox and replace it soon as I can, but in the meantime I will try giving it all a squirt of WD40 to see if that frees it up.

Cheers all.

Paul.

Change the gearbox mate, they have 2 backsets 35 or 45 mm they go all the time. Don't bother trying to clean or take it apart you will struggle to get it back together if your not carefull and most of the time it's a cast piece of metal that brakes.

Gearbox will set u back no more that £20 and is easy DIY fix.

Get stuck pm me, iv got them in stock and will advise on issues.

Ps, I'm asuming its a ERA mech, not era euro cylinder lol. If era cylinder above advise may not be correct!! If it's got era on mech strip then as above :)

Yes, there is a ERA mark on the strip just below the lock mechanism. (Although the lock barrel is of the euro type) If I can't source a gearbox locally, I will be in touch :)

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Just a nod to say thank you all for your input and help. I replaced the gearbox mechanism this afternoon and all is now working fine. Fairly quick job with no major snags I'm pleased to say. In looking at the old mechanism, several bits of broken cast metal fell out, so some part of the workings had shattered (as Parapilot predicted was most likely).

Thanks again all; much appreciated :good:

Paul.