Englsh sporter 28g

Im not the greatest advacate regards pigeon shooting with ... "clay cartridges" ... lve posted on here a while back, l wasnt ... well its humble pie for tea!

Out today using Gamebore clear pigeon 30g No6's. An hour or so into shooting decided to use some English sporter 28g. No 7 1/2 ... they surprised me. .... not sure if l was imagining it, but they hit really hard, to the point, some pigeon were unusable, culinary wise ... a couple of Crow flew overhead and the Englsh sporters took it clean, at a fair old height/distance ... doesn't prove a point but in comparison to some "clay cartridges" lve used, these seem by far, a proper game 7.1/2 cartridge.

I only had a box to try out bought a while back. Think l will pick a slab up.and some others "think there called, victory or victor, not certain .. they to were good ... pleasantly corrected my opinion .. we live and learn .. hopefully!!

Edited by hoggysreels

Sometimes your eyes get opened, happened to me using steel 5's by accident flighting crows a few years back! (I thought they were 36grm lead as they had the same colour shell) right up until I picked up the empties. I like clay shells for walked up though I also like open chokes, stiff chokes and a short range bird is going to get a lot of pellets. The reverse is true of big heavy loads of number 1,2,BB on smaller duck (it don't blow them to bits as long as you don't shoot them on the end of the barrel )

There is generally a lot of rubbish taken as fact in all forms of shooting, mainly because a lot say it and never test it

Embarressingly l cant say what the choke is ... l was gifted the shotgun yesterday by a very generous PW member .. thanks Mark :)

I was using a BSA 12 Bore single barrel folder, made in Italy ... so whatever choke they have .. has a 28 inch barrel ...

Just seemed the English sporter were hitting harder than the Gamebore Clear pigeon ... just my impression

Im having much more success using single barrel 12 bores, than double 12's ... even had two pigeon today, shooting left handed, goes without saying, lm right handed ...

I've been using english sporters now on pigeons and clays for 2 years or there abouts prob had 3000 or so and they have worked very well i allways shoot tight chokes on pigeons so it hits them hard. but for a clay cart they are one of the better for pigeon shooting so good infact i wont buy hb pigeon 6.5 now.

There is more than just shot size to take into account, in reguard to kinetic energy!

The velocity also helps! A high speed #7.5 clay round can have as much down range enegry as a mediocre #6 round!

I reload a #7 load at just under 1400fps

If I had IMR powders I could get that to 1450fps

I chrono'd a few pigeon carts and they average 1250FPS

There is more than just shot size to take into account, in reguard to kinetic energy!

The velocity also helps! A high speed #7.5 clay round can have as much down range enegry as a mediocre #6 round!

I reload a #7 load at just under 1400fps

If I had IMR powders I could get that to 1450fps

I chrono'd a few pigeon carts and they average 1250FPS

Would be interesting to see results in comparison ... whether whats printed on a cardboard box is to be, believed, etc

Would be interesting to see results in comparison ... whether whats printed on a cardboard box is to be, believed, etc

I find most if not all the claimed FPS rates are nowhere near what you actually achieve when you put them over a chrono!

My loads were put over a chrono of my friends, and I was averaging 1385

Im not the greatest advacate regards pigeon shooting with ... "clay cartridges" ... lve posted on here a while back, l wasnt ... well its humble pie for tea!

Out today using Gamebore clear pigeon 30g No6's. An hour or so into shooting decided to use some English sporter 28g. No 7 1/2 ... they surprised me. .... not sure if l was imagining it, but they hit really hard, to the point, some pigeon were unusable, culinary wise ... a couple of Crow flew overhead and the Englsh sporters took it clean, at a fair old height/distance ... doesn't prove a point but in comparison to some "clay cartridges" lve used, these seem by far, a proper game 7.1/2 cartridge.

I only had a box to try out bought a while back. Think l will pick a slab up.and some others "think there called, victory or victor, not certain .. they to were good ... pleasantly corrected my opinion .. we live and learn .. hopefully!!

The English Sporter 28g no7 1/2 you tried, are they plastic or fibre wad ?

Edited by Steve'o

I use English sporters all the time now there the only shell that patterns well through my old remi and Christ they hit hard looking at a few wads I've picked up they tend to all be in perfect shape still not spread out like you would expect to see them after they have been fired! But at £39 a slab you can't go wrong!!!