smoking in cars

islandgun

I don't think this issue is as simple as it appears. When my other half and me smoked we never smoked in the house because of the kids. We knew of the possible dangers to their health and chose not to put them at risk by smoking in the house, but it was through choice.

As Poontang suggests, this may be the thin end of the wedge. In your car you are in your own private property, as you are in your house. What is the difference? It is only a very short step to the next stage. Are pregnant women due to be arrested for smoking?

It is common sense not to smoke in the presence of kids, and it has to be the responsibility of adults to have that common sense. Once you replace a persons responsibility with legislation then we're on a slippery slope in my opinion.

Completely agree Scully, by putting legislation in place you actively encourage people to abdicate responsibility. There is already so much evidence of that happening already, people always want to lay blame on someone else. I have given this example on here before, but it is a true case - a kid very sadly died because they tripped and fell into the loop of a chord that adjusted window blinds and the kid was asphyxiated, tragic accident and desperately sad, but the parents started to campaign that blinds chords should be made illegal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The vehicle itself is not a public space. However what's inside the vehicle could be construed as being in a public space, as with the dog in your example.

It would be a similar scenario to say that your coat pocket is not a public place, but if you have a knife in your pocket you are classed as having a weapon in a public place.

As far as I know a public space is somewhere the public have, or are permitted to have access.

You are correct in what you say, but Technically using your knife scenario the inside of your car becomes a public space giving people such as police the right to enter without warrant to uphold the law in a public place.

I agree it is complicated.

I smoke (too much)

I drive

I own my own home

I have 2 lovely little boys. Aged 3 and 1

I smoke in the garage. My little men do not need to fill their lungs with **** due to my bad habit.

My parents smoked indoors and in the car when I grew up. BUT. They didn't know the dangers of it like we do now.

I would beg to differ on that one Daz. I am 47, my Mum and dad both smoked in the car and in the kitchen at home. In the late 60s & 70s there were health warnings. If I think about the **** I breathed in I shudder. It put me and my brother off for life. It seems that TV ads for fags were banned in 1965, the year before I was born.

Edited by keg

If you're going to lock your small child(ren) in a confined space and then proceed to poison them with carcernagenic chemicals

You should have them taken away from you !!!!

~simples~

Edit : on the news now,

Re Banning smoking in vehicles, ........MPS's have given an overwhelming majority vote In Favour of this becoming law :good:

Edited by TaxiDriver

If you're going to lock your small child(ren) in a confined space and then proceed to poison them with carcernagenic chemicals

You should have them taken away from you !!!!

~simples~

Edit : on the news now, MPS's have given an overwhelming majority vote In Favour of this becoming law :good:

+1 and well done for stating that.

I don't allow my children in my workshop while cutting mdf and timbre . Why ? Is it the law ? Yes but do I care about the law ? NO

I care about my kiddies to much to risk damage to their little bodies

Im willing to bet that most of the above posts are written by rabid ex-smokers .... No one passed legislation 30 odd years ago to stop me having to weld galvanised metal because it would destroy my lungs (which it has) ..... no one told me in the 1960s that I could not go down into the bowels of a ship where the lagging had just been removed and the dust was floating around and I was breathing it in and it would lodge in my lungs (which it has) ...... no one told me that whilst I was inside the bowels of a ship that the caulkers and rivitters were outside the same ship hammering on it for 8hrs a day would destroy my hearing (which it has) ... No one at that time told me not to use air ratchet tools for long periods of time because I would suffer from damaged joints which I do,,,, No one told me then that lifting and shifting loads over 25 kgs would ruin my back (which it has)

But all this pales into insinifigance when self opinionated little ******tell me that the fact I smoke has recently been found to MAY harm others ..... 40 years ago when my kids were little all this ****** was unknown and I happily smoked around/ near my children and that health would be ruined (and it has not),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wake up and smell the roses folks (if you can because massive chain of commercial grabbers haven't decided they wont stock smelly ones )

live life and prosper

Edited by harrypen

Im willing to bet that most of the above posts are written by rabid ex-smokers .... No one passed legislation 30 odd years ago to stop me having to weld galvanised metal because it would destroy my lungs (which it has) ..... no one told me in the 1960s that I could not go down into the bowels of a ship where the lagging had just been removed and the dust was floating around and I was breathing it in and it would lodge in my lungs (which it has) ...... no one told me that whilst I was inside the bowels of a ship that the caulkers and rivitters were outside the same ship hammering on it for 8hrs a day would destroy my hearing (which it has) ... No one at that time told me not to use air ratchet tools for long periods of time because I would suffer from damaged joints which I do,,,, No one told me then that lifting and shifting loads over 25 kgs would ruin my back (which it has)

And now we know about all the effects you have listed above there is legislation to stop people doing it in this day and age.

But all this pales into insinifigance when self opinionated little ******tell me that the fact I smoke has recently been found to MAY harm others ..... 25 years ago when my kids were little all this ****** was unknown and I happily smoked around/ near my children and that health would be ruined (and it has not),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Wake up and smell the roses folks (if you can because massive chain of commercial grabbers haven't decided they wont stock smelly ones )

Smoking and passive smoking has been known to kill for a long time,hence the legislation to protect workers in public places,And please do not complain about all your ailments when you state you are still a smoker.Wake up ,smoking kills

live life and prosper

Hope i have cleared a few things up for you.

Another thing that I find hard to understand is how come there are so many people living in the world now as when I was young everyone smoked and as kids we had no say in being it houses with people who smoked 40 fags a day when everyone nows that all you have to do as a child is to breath in a couple of breaths near to someone who is smoking and you will die a horrible death before you get much older.

Another thing that I find hard to understand is how come there are so many people living in the world now as when I was young everyone smoked and as kids we had no say in being it houses with people who smoked 40 fags a day when everyone nows that all you have to do as a child is to breath in a couple of breaths near to someone who is smoking and you will die a horrible death before you get much older.

It's because the human race go at it hammer and tongs at every opportunity,i am not going to draw you a diagram,buy a copy of razzle :good::lol:

And so does johnny come lately know it all think that if I now give up smoking because it may kill me everything will be right with the world

I THINK NOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And I wont try to preach to biggots anymore Especially whilst you drive around in your particulate spewing old jalopy of a landrover and shoot lead shot all over the place

And I don't give a What you think of me

Edited by harrypen

And so does johnny come lately know it all think that if I now give up smoking because it may kill me everything will be right with the world

I THINK NOT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And I wont try to preach to biggots anymore Especially whilst you drive around in your particulate spewing old jalopy of a landrover and shoot lead shot all over the place

And I don't give a What you think of me

None taken :)

Why mess about,ban cigarettes completely. Won't effect me just the millionaire corporate donators.

I'm a smoker and I agree with this ^^

I'd much rather the Government ACTUALLY gave a carp about us and said "No more, they're bad for you, they have NO redeeming features, they're banned". Rather than "Yeah, they're bad for you. We'll hike the price up because it's an easy tax to rake in, then we'll legislate where you're allowed to use them."

It's perfectly legal for us to be sold these addictive killing-sticks. I can go out and buy as many as I like. They will (probably) kill me, or at least lend a helping hand to my demise. But they're legal. I can sit and chain smoke all day long if I so choose. But I can't smoke these legal products on a train platform, or in an office, or in a works' van, or in a school, or, soon, maybe, in my car if I have children in it. Despite the fact that they're legal.

I'd be perfectly happy if they were removed from sale immediately. At least then the government would be showing some backbone. But then the revenue would disappear...

I come from era when smoking was almost compulsory my doctor smoked in his surgery (he did die of cancer) I can also fully understand those that say is this another thin end of the wedge and an invasion of privacy and rights, I also believe that passive smoking can kill although i have no personal experience of this, What adults do to themselves should remain their choice but should they be allowed to inflict themselves on others especially children then no, as usual no answer then

Aside from the OP which is fairly obvious to anyone that has any sense of responsibility as a parent, the thing that concerns me is how quickly we have become conditioned to accept every interference in everyday life.....can't play conkers, can't throw snow balls, cant skateboard to school....our children are growing up without the ability to assess risk for themselves cause through knee jerk reactions we ban anything which the school, Local Authority or Government could in any way be seen as responsible for.

Children as well as adults need to learn to take personal responsibility for their actions and the dangers they put themselves and others in.

Sorry to have ambushed the original point.

I don't smoke,never have but I am not anti smoking to the degree that I would presume to inflict my belief on anyone else. A lot of my friends smoke and what I have seen in recent years is that the vast majority of them don't even smoke in their own houses. This is their own choice and fair play to them. The same applies to them smoking in their cars. Most have a brain and figure out that second hand smoke is dangerous, therefore they won't smoke in their cars if anyone else is present. No draconian law was nescessary. If this law is passed which I think it will how long before it is law that no one can smoke in a car period?Innocent little children and puppies will be forgotten about and another cash cow will have been invented with the usual jobsworths employed to enforce it. As for the anti smoking,tree hugging,bedwetters Give me a genuine chain smoker any day.

Can I recommend to all cigarette smokers that they change to cigars or a pipe. you taste the smoke in your mouth & do not inhale. the nicotine kick you desire is achieved through the tongue & not your lungs. the taste of a Cuban cigar is wonderful .

electronic cigarettes still involve inhaling & thus are still dangerous & do not' kick' the habit.

Delivered a hire car to a house in Gt Yarmouth (any locals may relate to this at once) -social housing, mum and dad (not working) 5 kids and the cloud of smoke when the door opened (a wide screen, PS3 etc etc) such that I took the bloke outside to do paperwork in our car. Even then my mate noticed how smoky I was. It's not just cars!!

I am fairly certain that a vehicle on a public highway is classed as a public place,i can't find a piece of legislation i want ,but here is a ruling about a dog seized in a car,The judges statement about the legalities of public places/vehicles.

Bates v DPP; QBD (Div Ct) (Rose LJ, Waller J); 25 Feb 1993.

A pit bull terrier, which is defined as a fighting dog under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 has to be muzzled even though it is securely within a car, since, although the inside of the car is not of itself a public place, once the car is in a public place what was inside it was in a public place.

Really? I own my home but the street it's in is a public place Yet another bewigged old fool interpreting the law as he sees fit........

I was surprised that smoking isn’t banned completely when driving. I can't believe that driving along you can rummage for your cigarettes, take one out of the box, find your lighter, light up, and drive along with something burning in your hand, and still concentrate on the road. We not allowed to talk on mobiles etc because of the lack of concentration, but you can smoke in while driving?

To me that doesn’t make sense.