+ Halfords - price match.

cpaulc

Just seeing the post below reminded me about how good halfords have been to me. Essentially, all you need to know is that they price match other local garages and will also source and fit non-genuine parts.

Granted you have to find out what is wrong, then call around other local garages to get quotes, but it has saved me a fortune over that past year. They dropped my BMW clutch cost from £1600 down to £1000.

-Although I also recognise that a good non-chain, local garage may be more your cup of tea,but if you dont have reccomendations and need it fixing quick with a guarantee then halfords is the place.

Having put right several Halfrauds "mistakes" I'd put them in the same class as kwik fit etc. the best / worst one recently was a friends wife with a Merc A class , he was away on business and a headlamp bulb blew so he told her to take it to Halfords. That night she realised it wasn't working again so took it back the next morning and paid again. He came home and couldn't get to the bulb so brought it to me ( thanks mate ) it's a pain to get to but the low beam bulb was blown, changed it all ok . Then he shows me the old bulbs, both ok as they changed the high beam bulb that wasn't blown. Back to Halfords who admitted they couldn't get to the bulb so changed the other one! and gave him all the money back.

For parts only, there is nothing like a few phone calls to parts suppliers and a bit if haggling. Also they have offers you can use.

Edit,

Many have a range of prices, ask for a better price category or say what the "other" price is and see if they can better it.

Edited by malkiserow

I think like any garage you have to ask questions and ensure your getting the right stuff fixed. Of course you'll have the good and the bad. But for me it allowed the cheaper price, with good comeback, and importantly they could get the non-genuine parts and fit the clutch that day instead of the local shop where I'd have been a week without the car.

Gazbev - not sure if they would match the change , worth an ask!

As always, each to their own.

over the last 20 years or so , i have dealt with(bought from) halfords on three occasions , each time has left me wondering how on earth they still have customers and are still in business , i have sworn that i will never use them or give them a single penny of my money ever again.

first time.

took my sister to buy/collect a kids bike that she had seen instore , it was in my lunch break so i was in a bit of a rush , after paying for the bike we were told by the young lad selling the bike that it was halfords policy that each bike was checked thoroughly before leaving the store and we would need to collect it in an hour , i explained that i was a mechanic and that id check it over before my nephew rode it , this wasnt good enough for the young lad who we were dealing with , he insisted that halfords had their own specially trained bike mechanics and it was their policy that it had to be checked ,i asked for the money to be returned as i really didnt have time to wait but was refused , on returning to the shop an hour later , we were told that their had been some delay and we would need to wait for another half hour or so , eventually after pretty much two hours we were presented with the shiny new kids bike , as we left the store i wheeled the bike across the carpet towards the exit , as the automatic doors opened i lifted the bike off the ground , as it left the ground the front wheel fell out and rolled out of the door and out onto the car park , it was at this point that my sense of humour failed and the money was refunded in full.

second time.

my lad was bmx mad (and very talented yet scary for a parent to watch ) , the only problem was that he was very hard on them , my late wife took him to halfords with my blessing to spend whatever it takes to get a decent bike for him that wouldnt fall to bits, after parting with £700 ish iirc , he had his new bike , he was chuffed to bits , my wife was told that these bikes were " indestructable " , anyways , to cut a long story short , after returning the bike almost daily for a couple of weeks due to poor quality parts continually breaking ,we gave them another £200 ish and moved onto a "pro bike" (this one was definitely indestructable) , after several weeks of returning the "indestructable pro bike" due to parts that kept on breaking/falling off , our money was refunded , we eventually had a bike built for him by dai in dudley , it cost around £500 and looked far better than the halfords tat and it really was indestructable.

third time

my late wife had bought me a sat nav as a christmas present about four months before she passed away , when the sat nav stopped working at around six months old i took it back to halfords , i explained about the great sentimental value and that unfortunately i hadnt got the reciept as my late wife always took care of them and i just couldnt find them , i wont go too much further into this one but the spotty faced little scrote that smirked at me , gave me sarcastic answers and shrugged his shoulders that day will never know how close he came to taking his last breath !..

i can only speak from my own experiences of halfords , and from my experience they are rubbish !.

Just seeing the post below reminded me about how good halfords have been to me. Essentially, all you need to know is that they price match other local garages and will also source and fit non-genuine parts.

Granted you have to find out what is wrong, then call around other local garages to get quotes, but it has saved me a fortune over that past year. They dropped my BMW clutch cost from £1600 down to £1000.

-Although I also recognise that a good non-chain, local garage may be more your cup of tea,but if you dont have reccomendations and need it fixing quick with a guarantee then halfords is the place.

So, they were trying to over charge you by £600 unless YOU could prove the job doesnt cost that.

I cant stand these big chains, they're geared to fleece the customer at any opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...