Dead pigeons

kitchrat

I today examined the bodies of the 20 or so pigeons that came into my possession during the latter part of this week.

All birds were plump and well-fed, so starvation can be ruled out as cause of death. In fact, most birds had some signs of yellow fat.

Only one bird had a fairly full crop (rape), he also had the most fat so may have been a greedy bird and may have died from high blood pressure, stroke or heart attack.

Several birds had multiple injuries, which may have been caused by crashing into the group from a considerable height.

All birds carried wounds from high-speed lead shot, which in most cases would have caused instant death, some birds with less wounds had broken necks.

CONCLUSION:

I was doing my job as best I could!!

On a more serious note, I was surprised at the number of pellets only just under the skin. Although I am using good Gamebore ammo (speed 1425 fps), pellet penetration was not good. Is this because I cannot get them to decoy well and have to take a number of "speculative" 45yd+ shots?? I know you will say I just hit them with "flyers", some birds had 3 or 4 pellets just under the skin, so must have been quite well in the pattern. I did have several fly 3-400yds then drop out of the sky. Any thoughts??

Either way, it's 20 less to do damage next week.

Hull only make one 12g cart with a velocity of 1600fps and thats the 'hull sovereign parcours' and shot sizes start at 6.5.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/sovereignparcours.htm

http://www.bywellshootingground.co.uk/store/cartridges/hull_competition_/hull_sovereign_parcours_28_gram_

Edited by carpentermark

Good god man I never knew this fps even excisted. I used to use 1000s of Bakeiel cartridges and they had every speed in the book from dead slow to super sonic and that was in a box of 25 ,but they still seamed to kill a lot of pigeons Now I use Gamebore clear pigeon 30 grams 6s ,what speed they are I haven't got a clue and before you tell me I am not that interested as long as I keep getting a few . I know it take me twice as long to get my gun up now but that's down to old age not FPS.

Hull only make one 12g cart with a velocity of 1600fps and thats the 'hull sovereign parcours' and shot sizes start at 6.5.

http://www.hullcartridge.co.uk/sovereignparcours.htm

http://www.bywellshootingground.co.uk/store/cartridges/hull_competition_/hull_sovereign_parcours_28_gram_

Well I use HULL EXTREAM GAME 28G 4s I do believe they are 1600 fps. It doesn't say on the box.woodfordpigeon

On a more serious note, I was surprised at the number of pellets only just under the skin. Although I am using good Gamebore ammo (speed 1425 fps), pellet penetration was not good. Is this because I cannot get them to decoy well and have to take a number of "speculative" 45yd+ shots?? I know you will say I just hit them with "flyers", some birds had 3 or 4 pellets just under the skin, so must have been quite well in the pattern. I did have several fly 3-400yds then drop out of the sky. Any thoughts??

Either way, it's 20 less to do damage next week.

What degree of choke are you using?

That's why I use No4s.Each pellet that hits the bird does a lot of damage. Hull cartridge 28g 4s.1600 fps full choke. woodfordfallow

Can't see the point in using a load like that.

6's will do the job at any sensible distance, in fact a good trap shell will have nearly 3 times as many pellets and through full choke will kill birds stone dead all day long.

Can't see the point in using a load like that.

6's will do the job at any sensible distance, in fact a good trap shell will have nearly 3 times as many pellets and through full choke will kill birds stone dead all day long.

I can't disagree with that. I wouldn't use lead 4s on pigeon.

I know it sounds silly but is it possible you're mistaking pellets that have gone through and stopped just below the skin on the other side ? Pellets don't always make it out the other side but either way it's unlikely that the shells are to blame because to only just break skin even at 45 yards, they'd have to be going off with a tellingly small bang !?

I can't disagree with that. I wouldn't use lead 4s on pigeon.

Have you ever pattern plated your gun cartridge combination. You might be quite surprised. My pattern plate is 8ft squire and set at 70 yards. Steel plate in the centre which we repaint after each shot. This combination is ideal for my gun set up at the range I shoot at. 7.5s simply have no striking velocity left at that range. 4s with full choke give a good pattern and still hit hard. So you hit and kill or miss. This combination makes close shots difficult. I hope I have helped woodfordpigeon

Have you ever pattern plated your gun cartridge combination. You might be quite surprised. My pattern plate is 8ft squire and set at 70 yards. Steel plate in the centre which we repaint after each shot. This combination is ideal for my gun set up at the range I shoot at. 7.5s simply have no striking velocity left at that range. 4s with full choke give a good pattern and still hit hard. So you hit and kill or miss. This combination makes close shots difficult. I hope I have helped woodfordpigeon

I think someone needs to take a reality check! :hmm:

Regards remmyman

70 yards? Is that a measured 70 or what you think is 70?

A 28 gram load of 4s pattern at 70 yards is likely to have holes in big enough to fly a airplane through let alone a pigeon , why limit yourself use 42 grams of BB's and shoot them at 100 :rolleyes: