The Final Shot

meg and luke

I have been shooting for four years and i have shot about 5 pigeons.

i do not go shoting often but i still cannot hit much. :lol::lol:

does any one have any tips for the best crop to shoo over or bringing the pigeons into the decoys, or any other advice on the shooting the pigeon?

i would be very greatful for some advice.

thank you

luke

Theres nothing like a live target. Dont get me wrong, clays can give you the 'eye', for example lead etc., but nothing can come close to the real thing. As with anything in life - practice makes perfect or almost. Try a few clays with an instructor or friend,who will be able to tell you where you are on the birds ie., high, low, behind or too far in front. Whenever you can, use dead birds as decoys and purchase a floater or two or go the whole hog and buy a Magnet or flapper. The perfect time of year for woodie shooting I believe is in spring, especially over beans or peas. On a good field where the birds are 'having it', a red letter day may appear which will put you on course to succesfull woodie shooting. I think every serious woodie shooter has experienced a red letter day and learned from that experience. Look for flightlines to a field and intercept the birds. Never rig up in single spot and hope the birds will come to you and where possible never have the wind in your face - its extremely difficult to take deeking birds over your head. Be versatile and move if the birds are landing elsewhere. If you can, set your hide under 'sitty' trees as this gives the bird a second option if it is not all satisfied with your decoys, 9 times out of 10 it will settle for the tree instead. I still use the traditional horse shoe shape pattern with the emphasis of the majority of the decoys on the far side of the pattern. This acts as a stop as incoming birds which will hopefully drop inside the pattern and not overshoot. Keep the inner of the pattern completely void of decoys as the will entice the incoming woodies into your killing zone. Where possible keep your floaters and/or Magnet away from your pattern preferably in the front extremes as not to 'spook' incomings. One major point I have noticed with new pigeon shooters is the jack in the box act. Once you have spotted birds heading to the deeks, with your headgear on, keep your eyes just above the net with your gun ready. As the bird approaches within 50 to 60 yards raise your gun and follow the bird(s) into the pattern, at this point they are more concerened with putting their paddles down. One point here - once you have picked a bird to shoot stick with it, no matter how many birds are deeking. If you drop your first bird then you quickly switch to a second other wise swapping at the last minute ends in total frustration - damn!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure your face and head are covered, I use a loose mesh hood with a cut out for eyes :beer: also a wide brimmed hat, fingerless gloves are also a good idea. Pigeon will jink at the first sign of your anxious face or your hands swinging the gun.

Check your hide for anything shiny, my stainless steel coffee flask is always hidden.

Never bother shooting on a windless day.

Lastly, it's all too easy to miss a bird at or beyond your shooting range, pace out 30/40 yards and lay a marker, only shoot well within your range.

Keep trying, it will all come right :beer:

• 2 weeks later...