Selling or supplying game / vermin

Beardo

It's important that anyone wishing to sell game or vermin they have shot read the current regulations:

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide0611.pdfh_app%3Dforums&title=Legality%20of%20selling%20pigeon%20-%20General%20Shooting%20Matters%20-%20Pigeon%20Watch%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fmultimedia.fo...meguide0611.pdf

In simple terms - anyone can supply their quarry in small amounts (in fur or feather) to friends or to local retailers (ie pubs/restaurants) without having to meet any requirements.

It would appear current legislation requires you to be registered with the local authority if you supply to a game dealer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's important that anyone wishing to sell game or vermin they have shot read the current regulations:

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/wildgameguide0611.pdfh_app%3Dforums&title=Legality%20of%20selling%20pigeon%20-%20General%20Shooting%20Matters%20-%20Pigeon%20Watch%20Forums&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fmultimedia.fo...meguide0611.pdf

In simple terms - anyone can supply their quarry in small amounts (in fur or feather) to friends or to local retailers (ie pubs/restaurants) without having to meet any requirements.

It would appear current legislation requires you to be registered with the local authority if you supply to a game dealer.

Hi

I can't get that link to work, but if it is a variation of this, this is the new version came out in June!

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/guidance/wild-game-guide.pdf

:good:

Edit

Useful guide on page 8-9.

Edited by Dekers

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All the Regulations require for selling to a local butchers or pub, say, are that things like pigeon for example are processed (if at all) as soon as possible after shooting in a hygienic environment, with the person dressing or preparing the game observing reasonable food standard hygiene procedures, and that small game is chilled as soon as possible after shooting whether dressed, processed or not (ie stick them in a fridge at no more than 4 degrees Celius). It's not onerous at all. It does imply that anyone supplying even a single bird to a pub or butchers is required to register as a food business with your local council though. Supplying small game (fur or feather) to approved game dealers is more onerous and you have to register as a food supplying business and meet the full Regulations of the appropriate EC Regulations including full traceability.

I don't think that OP is correct in so far as "without having to meet any requirements". The link clearly states that even suppliers to local retailers or pubs etc do require you to register as a food business and to observe food hygiene standards, most especially the prevention of contamination and the chilling of game .

Edited by Savhmr

This is a minefield, I've posted on this before and had many talks with the FSA, it's more complicated than you think.

The reasonable steps of preparing game in a suitable area DOSEN'T mean a domestic kitchen, I've had an email confirming this, I'll look it out.

Be careful, the FSA don't take prisoners, I hold a current slaughter licence and it would astound me if even 20 percent of what I have to do would satisfy the feds if you're supplying dead animals for human consumption by shooting.

It'll only become apparent if someone notifies the EA/FSA or trading standards (or a doctor notifies them) after illness of a reportable type, then you'll get the full force of a investigation as the supplier of the meat.

Be warned, get it right or don't bother.

Edited by kyska

• 3 years later...

Indeed we shoot pheasant and the local butcher wot have them..so we use the local hotel to prepare them and use in the hotel the rest members take them..some left are buried deep. Sooner  or later we will be not rearing large amounts so the anti brigade will win by default..Thought here...the pheasant will become one of the RSPB and bbc. Mr Packhams...rare one to spot..hey what a programe that would be pheasant watch.

• 1 month later...

The links don't work for me.

I have a friend who is a pigeon guide - he has a good set-up at home, as soon as he gets the birds home he puts them into trays to allow the air to circulate in a shady spot then they go into his chiller room where they can stay safe for a period of time until collected by, or delivered to a game dealer. The problem is that - suddenly, the game dealer has advised him that he should have a unique hunters ID number to confirm that he has attended a Game Meat Hygiene Course.

He hasn't done the course and the pigeons are stacking up, does anyone know where they do these courses in the south, he lives in Hampshire.

By the way, anyone who wishes to sell pigeons or game to a dealer should have done the course and have a unique number.

I did the large and small game meat hygiene course with the NGO. A simple 1 day course, cost about £90 I think, which really mainly spouted the common sense that virtually everyone already applies but hey ho I am now on paper a trained hunter so can be held accountable via a number.

If you get a few friends together in one area, maybe via here,  then I am sure they would send their trainer if you asked them.

46 minutes ago, martinj said:

I have a friend who is a pigeon guide - he has a good set-up at home, as soon as he gets the birds home he puts them into trays to allow the air to circulate in a shady spot then they go into his chiller room where they can stay safe for a period of time until collected by, or delivered to a game dealer. The problem is that - suddenly, the game dealer has advised him that he should have a unique hunters ID number to confirm that he has attended a Game Meat Hygiene Course.

He hasn't done the course and the pigeons are stacking up, does anyone know where they do these courses in the south, he lives in Hampshire.

By the way, anyone who wishes to sell pigeons or game to a dealer should have done the course and have a unique number.

Can you give me a link to this requirement for selling pigeons to a game dealer?

50 minutes ago, martinj said:

I was under the impression this is only required if you are preparing the birds and not selling in the feather.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Think you will find it only applies to game, pigeons are not classed as game.

Also applies to pigeons apparently, at least that's what the game dealer said and he should know. If he's got it wrong he's doing himself out of business.