.177 Heavy vs Medium

Theskyfox

Hi All,

Just wanted an opinion really. I've got my .177 TDR, and have a choice of a number of different pellets. Main use is hunting (with range practice). I've got two tins of Air Arms fields 8.4 grain pellets, but am considering Air arms fields Heavies which weigh in at 10.3 grains. Does anyone have experience in using these? they are a bit more difficult to get hold of than the normal AAF's.

My main thoughts are:

-The heavies will carry more energy downrange

-The heavies will travel about 100fps slower and have a lower chance of over penetrating.

Assuming they both group well, I suppose the real question..is there likely to be much difference? or should I just stick with the 8.4 grain AAFs...

-Andrew

Do you struggle for clean kills with the 'Fields'? If so I'd ask yourself why, because I can assure you that 'fields' are perfectly adequate for dispatching pretty much all airgun quarry I've encountered. If you're not struggling to get clean kills then why change to a pellet that will be a bit more difficult to shoot accurately?

Not really sure what you'd gain from the heavier pellet as it would be slower with a loopier trajectory. If you feel you need more energy at POI, maybe get a .22? Have to say though that I've never felt the need for any more than the 'fields' deliver.

Edited by -Mongrel-

Do you struggle for clean kills with the 'Fields'? If so I'd ask yourself why, because I can assure you that 'fields' are perfectly adequate for dispatching pretty much all airgun quarry I've encountered. If you're not struggling to get clean kills then why change to a pellet that will be a bit more difficult to shoot accurately?

Not really sure what you'd gain from the heavier pellet as it would be slower with a loopier trajectory. If you feel you need more energy at POI, maybe get a .22?

+1. I don't see the point in having a .177 if you are going to use heavy pellets, but some folk swear by them.

I've not used the AA fields yet on anything other than target cards (weather has been too bad recently). Previously in other guns I've used 9.5 grain logun penetrators which never took any prisoners. Just sold my Brocock .22, I hated the loopy trajectory even at 11 ftlbs. I'm just thinking heavy .177s surely give you a chance to get closer to the energy levels of .22, but still retain a much flatter trajectory.

-Andrew

I've shot rabbits, pigeons and rats with the 'fields' out of my AA S510. None of them have failed to die when hit. Not tried squirrels yet but not expecting a different result.

The only way you get .22 levels of energy transfer is to use .22 weight pellets, in which case you get the same loopy trajectory. I wouldn't sweat it, in my opinion the accuracy of the shot is far more important than the amount of energy at impact. 8 grains of .177 in the right place will cause immediate death.

Edited by -Mongrel-

so anyone using a .22 is a better shot than the .177 gang, ???

only because the .22 shooter has to adjust for elevation,windage and loopiness of pellet,but the .177 shooter only has to deal with windage because the pellet stays flatter longer

see I knew I was a better shot than you lot that use .177, the only reason you use them is because its easier than a .22

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

atb Evo

only because the .22 shooter has to adjust for elevation,windage and loopiness of pellet,but the .177 shooter only has to deal with windage because the pellet stays flatter longer

see I knew I was a better shot than you lot that use .177, the only reason you use them is because its easier than a .22

atb Evo

Evo...just P.m.s.l. This would be the second time one of you lot have derailed one of my threads into a .177 vs .22 debate.... :good:

Edited by Theskyfox

Evo...just P.m.s.l. This would be the second time one of you lot have derailed one of my threads into a .177 vs .22 debate.... :good:

forgive me it was meant as a joke, I,m sorry if it offended you in anyway, I beg your forgivness please sir,,

keep your hair on,,it was a bit of banter , I was not trying to derail the thread,

on a serious note,,just use whatever pellet you group best with and stick with it,

atb Evo

atb Evo

ALL .22 shooters are of course streets ahead of all .177 exponents purely on the basis that they can do the mathematical equations required to calculate the windage and drop required by their massive projectiles!

Of all the .22 shooters, you Sir, are undoubtedly better than us lot as you are a air rifle armed demi-God!

Evo for PM? Nah sod it, lets make him our King!!!! :D

Edited by -Mongrel-

lol Don't worry Evo I've got a sense of humor matey =). Im not upset, i find it hilarious. I've just ordered a pack of JSB exact heavies...they come in at 10.34grains, and after a quick google HFT shooters seem to be raving about them. I didn't want to go for Bisley Mags - I've chronoed with them and think theyre a bit too heavy and inconsistent. Gonna give the JSBs a go at the weekend and see how well they group

-Andrew

ALL .22 shooters are of course streets ahead of all .177 exponents purely on the basis that they can do the mathematical equations required to calculate the windage and drop required by their massive projectiles!

Of all the .22 shooters, you Sir, are undoubtedly better than us lot as you are a air rifle armed demi-God!

Evo for PM? Nah sod it, lets make him our King!!!! :D

mongrel, you sir are a star :yes::yes: :yes:

atb Evo

lol Don't worry Evo I've got a sense of humor matey =). Im not upset, i find it hilarious. I've just ordered a pack of JSB exact heavies...they come in at 10.34grains, and after a quick google HFT shooters seem to be raving about them. I didn't want to go for Bisley Mags - I've chronoed with them and think theyre a bit too heavy and inconsistent. Gonna give the JSBs a go at the weekend and see how well they group

-Andrew

Andrew have you tried the standard .177 jsb exacts ?,,,,, because in the .22 they are by far the best pellet through all my rifles

atb Evo

Hi Andrew

With regard to heavyweights on of my shooting buddies tried out a few tests with Bisley Mags with and found that they didnt seem to impart any more energy to targets than standard 8.4g pellets the general shape of the pellet is still the same and BC is similar as well.

He found that what you really needed to get good expansion and energy dump was hollowpoint type pellets but you do pay the price in accuracy after about 20 yards so overall it was bets to stick with what gave the best groups in your particular rifle.

That being said despite being heavy I have found for some reason Bisley Mags really group well in BSA Barrels. My old Ultra used to love them and it was worth the slightly loopier trajectory for the amazing group size it produced with them.

Cheers Neil

I've not used the AA fields yet on anything other than target cards (weather has been too bad recently). Previously in other guns I've used 9.5 grain logun penetrators which never took any prisoners. Just sold my Brocock .22, I hated the loopy trajectory even at 11 ftlbs. I'm just thinking heavy .177s surely give you a chance to get closer to the energy levels of .22, but still retain a much flatter trajectory.

-Andrew

You are getting far to wrapped up in fractions on the energy front.

Just use a pellet that gives consistency and delivers downrange results, the tiny difference in 30-40 yard retained energy isn't going to be important if you deliver it to the right place! :good:

Edited by Dekers

You are getting far to wrapped in in fractions on the energy front.

Just use a pellet that gives consistency and delivers downrange results, the tiny difference in 30-40 yard retained energy isn't going to be important if you deliver it to the right place! :good:

Quite right, when I was a youth I used to go squirrel shooting two or three times in a week. I must have shot hundreds with my .177 Webley, always taken with head or neck shots. I later found out that the Webley was only running at 8 ft lbs. I used to use cheapo marksman pellets. The squirrels never knew the difference, and neither did I back then. Edited by Rimfireboy