best loads for pigeons..30g or 32g ?

storsey

I use all sorts as im just finding a cartridge that my gun likes really.

I was in Rugby Guns yesterday and picked up a new pack to try by Express called - Pigeon Power. They are a 70mm cart, No6, 29g! so lets see how they get on. £6 for 25 and better for more obvioulsy.

I found Express Pigeon Special to be pretty ****, Eley Pigeon are good but expensive. Lots of people loving Friochie now though! I have also tried the Rio's and they were nice!

Please note all the carts including these new Express ones are in Fibre Wad as i do not like to fire plastic all over my permissions / have to pick even more stuff up at the end of the day! :good:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use all sorts as im just finding a cartridge that my gun likes really.

I was in Rugby Guns yesterday and picked up a new pack to try by Express called - Pigeon Power. They are a 70mm cart, No6, 29g! so lets see how they get on. £6 for 25 and better for more obvioulsy.

I found Express Pigeon Special to be pretty ****, Eley Pigeon are good but expensive. Lots of people loving Friochie now though! I have also tried the Rio's and they were nice!

Please note all the carts including these new Express ones are in Fibre Wad as i do not like to fire plastic all over my permissions / have to pick even more stuff up at the end of the day! :good:

Can you honestly, hand on heart, tell the difference in performance in all of the loads mentioned. Cartridges will pattern better through certain guns/chokes, but I don't think it would make that much difference to be able to say that one is rubbish. I'd bet you found the ones that killed pigeons were good and the ones you didn't were ****, although it was probably down to user error.

I shot a nice little bag of 27 pigeons on Sunday. I used a mixture of Rio, Hull, Nobel Prima and Gamebore velocities - all clay loads. They all killed very well through my xtrema and IM Briley choke, and I could not really tell them apart, performance wise.

Can you honestly, hand on heart, tell the difference in performance in all of the loads mentioned. Cartridges will pattern better through certain guns/chokes, but I don't think it would make that much difference to be able to say that one is rubbish. I'd bet you found the ones that killed pigeons were good and the ones you didn't were ****, although it was probably down to user error.

I shot a nice little bag of 27 pigeons on Sunday. I used a mixture of Rio, Hull, Nobel Prima and Gamebore velocities - all clay loads. They all killed very well through my xtrema and IM Briley choke, and I could not really tell them apart, performance wise.

I can honestly say Hand on Heart that I found those cartridges to be **** due to the number of misfires I had from them and I also found that they didn’t pattern too well from my gun, this is my opinion. But I could not tell you much more about the detail regarding speed performance etc. However I would put most/all misses down to user error mate unless the gun doesn’t go off.

As you do, I regularly have a mixed bag of cartridges whilst im finding which me and more importantly the gun likes, then ill buy bulk to save some cash!

i stick to one make/length/weight of cartridge............in the last 30 odd years i have only changed cartridge 3 times,,,and on one of those, was going from 7 up to 6............i have tried many different cartridges....but i stick to what i know works...............too many times i have heard conversations about changing ammunition because someone has had a bad day..........bad workman an all that..........if you find a cartridge that works for you...then stick with it.

Ok just to satisfy myself I read this on the site mentioned;

12 bores are usually patterened by shooting at a pattern plate 40yds from the muzzle and then drawing a 30" cicrce aroung the main part of the shot.

A pellet count is taken and the general pattern reviewed for holes through which a target may escape.

A .410 shot pattern is unlikely to survive much beyond 25yds to 30 yds and thus it is more usual to pattern at 25yds and draw a 20" circle around the pattern.

Usually a .410 pattern starts narrower than a 12 bore pattern (naturally, as a 12 bore is aprox 0.729 inches, minus a few thou choke) but opens out quickly due to the large proportion of pellets in contact with the bore. Many .410s are 'full choked' to try to hold the pattern together but the pattern fails, as mentioned, beyond about 25 yds. Though remember, the pellets still have plenty of energy and can wound (live targets) or chip (clay targets) well beyond this range.

Much as I suggested still to test the theory above. Went outside with the .410 and a few number 6 18 grm Eley 3" fibre.

40 yards

Used a bigger 30" circle for this one. Yep Webley might have been ok with their statement (to my surprise) 80 strikes in 30". BIG ISSUE THOUGH! I drew around my hand print 14 times in the resultant pattern!!!! I recon that's akin to a pheasant body let alone a pigeon. Wounding was possible through the 30" pattern. Giving error in aim and lead, fliers and single pellet stikes etc. I recon even in skilled hands a very high wounding rate should be expected

35 yards

This time and also at 30 I went onto the 20" smaller circle. 51 strikes in 20" only four hands were pellet free (though remember its a lot less area)

30yards

No hands could fit in the 20" pattern, at first I thought I got one but there were actually three strikes inside the line drawn! 76 strikes in 20"

The targets are here, if anyone want to upload the photos I will gladly e-mail them on. Suffice to say the .410 (however choked or loaded) is not a 40 yards gun on quarry with shot loads!

Thats a very interesting post !! ... ld be interested to.know the result say, at 20 metres .. 2.5" & 3" cartridge (.410) .. difference, pellet strike numbers wise.

.410's are challeging, far more so than 12 bore ... but thats the draw towards them l find

Thats a very interesting post !! ... ld be interested to.know the result say, at 20 metres .. 2.5" & 3" cartridge (.410) .. difference, pellet strike numbers wise.

.410's are challeging, far more so than 12 bore ... but thats the draw towards them l find

you can bet more than 76 strikes! in fact total spread of 23" with the same gun and load with 132 within that 20".

Its an up to 30 yards gun but far better up to 25 yards. Sorry I don't do meters regards shooting. At said 20 yards any quarry in the pattern centre up to the size of a Hare is dead, based on experiance

Ive just been out and took my younger brother with me. I was using 32's and he was using 28's and the difference is second to non when your decoying them in close. I did manage a few more long ranger's than him but he was also knocking them down at 30-40 yards. There is not much difference bringing them in close but if your a good shot and are taking them further away id definately go for 32's.

Atb Josh

I just use what's cheapest at the time of purchase. Occasionally I get a box of 30g opposed to 28g or 6 shot instead or 7 shot but to be honest if I put the lead from the cheaper brands in the right place then why do I need the 30g ones and bigger shot sizes. Especially for pigeons over decoys. I'm certainly not smart enough to tell the difference in the speeds.

I just use what's cheapest at the time of purchase. Occasionally I get a box of 30g opposed to 28g or 6 shot instead or 7 shot but to be honest if I put the lead from the cheaper brands in the right place then why do I need the 30g ones and bigger shot sizes. Especially for pigeons over decoys. I'm certainly not smart enough to tell the difference in the speeds.

I've been saying it for years. Have you tried the NSI Prima 28gm 7.5 (English 7) ? I buy them from Cecil at under £4 a box. They'll kill any pigeon in sensible range.

I got some trust 28 6 shot today. As usual Cecil said these were the best...again. I will have to give the others a go next time I drop some woodies in. I always harp on about gun fit but that's the most important bit in my opinion.

They are a decent cartridge Graham

Did Cecil also mention " you wont get them at that price again " :lol:

Those where NSI loads i was using last week Graham, 30gram 6s though, killed pigeons well from what i could see. So did the superfast!

motty, have you tried the cheddite loads cecil had in? Not used them on pigeons but shot quite a few clays with them.

Think he said get these quick as demand is more than he can get. Matt, those birds you took home last week...did any have shot in them or just tree branch trauma wounds.

Those where NSI loads i was using last week Graham, 30gram 6s though, killed pigeons well from what i could see. So did the superfast!

motty, have you tried the cheddite loads cecil had in? Not used them on pigeons but shot quite a few clays with them.

I haven't tried them yet. I'll get a few more shells soon.

I used Trust 30gm 6, Hull superfast 7.5, NSI Prima 7.5, Kent Velocity 7.5 yesterday on the pigeons. They all killed very well, but i'll definitely stock up on the Primas - I like them a lot.

cheddite loads cecil had in? Not used them on pigeons but shot quite a few clays with them.

The cheddite trap cartridges are very good for decoying and kill well both pigeons and corvids.

The 7.5 are an english size 7 and pattern very nice through 1/2 choke. Been using them a while now and very pleased with them.