Multi fuel stove boiler

pestcontrol1

I am looking at putting a new multi fuel burner in and plumb it into my heating and water but which one to get i have looked at the stratford eb12 and the hunter herald. But would like to know if you have one that runs your heating what have you got and what do you think of it.

I dont need a masive one as i live in a little bungalow and only have 7 rads but needs to be multi fuel

Cheers

PC1

Having a back boiler in a multi fuel stove will take a lot of heat from stove casing - I had a Clearview 700 (or 750 - same one as at Catton Hall) and without boiler it would get to 600f in 30 min - with boiler wouldn't get hotter than 400f - saying that you couldn't touch the radiators - Also the glass sooted up due to less heat in stove

I fitted mine as a stand alone heater putting two rads in a room - one from oil boiler and one from stove - I fitted a pipe stat at first floor level to turn on pump as some rads were on ground floor and others upstairs - you also need a heatsink rad before pump to create the flow of heated water - you will also find a big increase in fuel consumption.

I have had cast stoves and steel stoves and will go for steel any day over cast - had three cast stove all of which either cracked or joint's opened.

Only got room now for small stove and have a Hunter 4- it's ok but should have opened out fire place more.

Dave

we have a hunter herald 14, it runs 10 rads, if you run on anthracite it will run on a bag a day 24/7, with an hourly top up,

as I get lots of free wood we top it up every 20 mins.

the water jacket stops the outer casing getting too hot as its doing its job taking the heat away to the rads.

never had problems wirh smoking into the room etc.

we have a hunter herald 14, it runs 10 rads, if you run on anthracite it will run on a bag a day 24/7, with an hourly top up,

as I get lots of free wood we top it up every 20 mins.

the water jacket stops the outer casing getting too hot as its doing its job taking the heat away to the rads.

never had problems wirh smoking into the room etc.

is that a 50kg bag or a 25kg ?

how deep is the 45 ? and can you get it to burn through the night

Internal measurements are approx (fires alight :lol: ) width 15", height 12", depth 16"

All night burn is no problem whatsoever, the fire has been running 24/7 since November. I put this small bucket of coal

c0ec0ce9-3b7c-4fbd-adfd-4df9df26d258_zps

on at 10.30, I still have a small to medium fire at 6.30 in the morning, and the rads are on the hot side of warm (shut right down)

I've never had more than half the firebox going ever!!

Those that are not happy with the hunter range say they don't get hot or take ages to get hot , do you live in a house or bungalow? and have a pump on the system ? If you do then that's the reason it feels just warm, I t won't get hot, switch the pump of for 1/2 hour and it will soon be pinging and sizzling.

Edited by Dougy

Internal measurements are approx (fires alight :lol: ) width 15", height 12", depth 16"

All night burn is no problem whatsoever, the fire has been running 24/7 since November. I put this small bucket of coal

c0ec0ce9-3b7c-4fbd-adfd-4df9df26d258_zps

on at 10.30, I still have a small to medium fire at 6.30 in the morning, and the rads are on the hot side of warm (shut right down)

I've never had more than half the firebox going ever!!

:good: that sounds ok to me how come you only have use half the fire box :lol:

Getting the stove running efficiently will take a while to sort out, what controls does what, what fuel works best, etc

The beauty of the 45 is that it slots right into a normal fireplace no hacking out the chimney breast to make a stand alone fit

Go to a stove centre and check a few out

My wife family live in a bungalow and the wood burner they have is a french one and has a fan which pushes warm air through pipes all over there bungalow i wish i would of seen one before we put our wood burner in i store our logs in spud boxes with lids and this allows the air to blow through during the summer and drys the wood perfect we have about 10 ton stored in these boxes as they stack on top of each other

esse are worth a look, ours is silly hot !

Mine is silly hot too, too silly hot infact. Been trying to get an answer from their tech support re over firing for 10 days now despite twice being told they'll get back to me. Not a peep from them, in short nice stove absolutely no support for it. If you buy one of these fingers crossed nothing goes wrong with it.

Realistically that's unlikely to be their issue, too hot means you aren't able to close it down. That's either a problem with the rope seals or you are getting too much draw on the chimney that may mean a damper would help. Stoves are simple things so whatever is wrong will be basic. I'm another with a hunter who finds it ok but not great, mine with no boiler works fine but doesn't give out the heat my mums cast one does

PC

I've got one one of these http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/slx-45.aspx

I run 6 rads and DHW of it, love it, best thing I ever done, sat here now with logs burning away :good:

I had one like that for years in many ways I wish that I still had it not cheap to buy cost about £1000 plus fitting when I got it about ten years ago it run 7 rads plus hot or rather warm water as I had to use the emersion heater to bring the water up hot for a bath simple nothing to go wrong.

In the end I got a government grant to have oil heating fitted as I have arthritis and was worried about putting the ashes out in the icy weather I am happy with the oil but on top of buying oil the boiler needs servicing once a year at about £100 so as I said it would have worked out cheaper if I had kept the log/coal burner.

I would recommend Charnwood its worth paying for well made things in the end they last longer and are more trouble free than the cheaper ones.

Re the overheating before I got the charnwood stove I had an old rayburn type stove and I had problems controlling it we had it for about 20 years and it was fine no problems but in the last year of having it I just could not stop it from rorring away and that was why we got the new charnwood stove it was only when we took the old one out at the reason for the problems with it became clear to us where the front was bolted on the casting had cracked and the joint had opened up a small gap letting air in.

The best way to stop it if it starts to get to hot is if you use some coal put some ashes on top of the fire that will slow it down mind you to much and you will put it out.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

thanks peeps the charnwood stove is looking the fav at the min but now i am back to work i will be getting it done before next winter i have been looking at them online and been into our local retailors and looking what they have but but i find its one thing looking at them but its always better to get first hand reports from people who have them.

Thanks for the info so far keep it comming good and bad :good: