#7,1/2 shot or #9

NicholasSabuldihin

Guest cookoff013

if it is only that small a difference, then you may aswell use #9 or #7.

i`ve started to use 9s alot, for everything exept ABT or trap. which i dont really shoot much / any.

why dont you try them out for youself

Guest cookoff013

9s will 'kill' any target that's showing some belly or dome out to 50yds or more.

Through tight chokes they'll do the business out to 40yds on crossers too.

Regards remmyman

yup,

1oz of 9s doing 1500fps dont half whack clays.

I have a rabbit clay at home with 6 pellets through it which did not count/break..........yep 9 shot at 25 yards.....

9s are perfect for skeet/belly targets I am not convinced by side on crossers/rabbits....i presume this refers to clays? ''talk from the field''.....if its for quarry then I guess rats but nothing bigger.

I have a rabbit clay at home with 6 pellets through it which did not count/break..........yep 9 shot at 25 yards.....

9s are perfect for skeet/belly targets I am not convinced by side on crossers/rabbits....i presume this refers to clays? ''talk from the field''.....if its for quarry then I guess rats but nothing bigger.

Totally agree. You need the ability to break targets. Stick to 7.5

With the difference in European, Italian, USA and English sizes you have to be careful just going on shot size alone and look at mm, depending on where the cart is made could increase or decrease the difference. Not a problem if staying with one brand but just bear it in mind there are a lot of carts sold over here that are European or Italian sizes rather than all English.

For sporting I know quite a few shooters that have a few boxes of 9’s in their range bag for certain target presentations but they are still not confident to shoot a full 100 esp with 9’s. I am shooting Italian 8.5 which is 2.20 mm and akin to an English 8, I would not go any lower than this but it’s just a head thing for me as I have no proof 9’s won’t do the job.

Edited by timps

Alot of talk on the feild this year about the difference between #7.5 and #9 ,, i did a bit of reserch and discoverd there was only 0.28 mm of a differance in shot size ,, is it worth going to #9 shot just to know you might have a few extra shot ?

Split the difference and use 8's....

The debate about shot sizes and chokes will go on for ever, especially if there's a drink involved.

You are trading lots of pellets to fill your pattern with fewer pellets that do more damage because they are heavier

As a matter of interest most top skeet shooters use 8's or 7½ NOT 9's

The answer will always be subjective, really a case of what works for you, but I attach a chart with shot size, number and strike energy, just to give you something to argue about

Lead shot sizes & weights

Shot size Diameter in mm Weight per pellet Strike energy @ 1400ft/sec Pellets in 28gr Pellets in 24gr

9 1.78 0.033 gr 2.26 ft-lbf 850 729

8 2.21 0.062 gr 4.22 ft-lbf 450 386

7½ 2.31 0.070 gr 5.22 ft-lbf 400 343

7 2.41 0.082 gr 5.62 ft-lbf 340 291

6½ 2.51 0.093 gr 6.31 ft-lbf 300 257

6 2.6 0.102gr 6.92 ft-lbf 275 235

5 2.79 0.127 gr 8.66 ft-lbf 220 189

4 3.05 0.164 gr 11.19 ft-lbf 170 146

Smaller pellets slow down quicker, and are therefore less effective at distance

Kermit (ex skeet shooter)

Edited by Kermit the frog

No ,

2 pellets of 9's might not break a clay, 2 of 7½ probably would, as they have more than double the strike energy

Bit like throwing ping pong balls or golf balls

Thats how we think anyway

kermit

Your argument assumes equal probability of hits in the first place, if that were the case we'd all be using 6's for almost everything. The reason 9's (and 8's) make sense for Skeet is that you cannot be on the target all the time, you will be just off countless times and then you may just clip into a lucky break where even on the outer edges of the pattern there are plenty of tiny pellets.

I always used half choke when shooting skeet and I can assure you that even the second target of a pair on 4 was broken very nicely when using 9's.

Regarding the argument of ping pong vs golf balls, if I was constantly relying on 2 pellets breaking the target then I would take myself off and get some much needed lessons.

For me, the combination of half choke and 28gr 9's gave very positive breaks(when I done my bit) which inspired confidence, whilst also affording me a bit of 'wriggle room' on those days when I wasn't 'centering' stuff.

Each to their own :)

Regards remmyman