Top end Semi Autos

Cosd

So been looking at treating myself to a semi auto, been using my trusted Benelli SL80 121 for some time and fancy something more up to date.

Having gone to the show last weekend and seeing my short list I narrowed it down to the Beretta A400 Extreme.

Being there are very few second hand I started looking at new. My budget slowly went up from under £1000 and now to around the £1500 mark.

Looking on gun trader, this new budget opens doors to other semis that I wasn't looking at before but also know very little about, such as Bernadelli and Fabarm.

Anyone have any experience or views on these higher end Autos? Are they worth considering over the A400?

Will mainly be used for Pigeons, some wildfowl with a very seldom clay day thrown in.

I've already discounted from my short list the SX3, Maxus and Remy1100.

Thanks

We all have different expectations and desires...and budgets.

I can see why some would want a classic well engraved SBS, or even O/U, but semis fall into the bracket of tools for me, end of, I have no need or desire to hit the top end, as long as it fits and works that's all I need, so I stick in the middle ground, my 391 does everything I need in a semi.

Worth a look from about £1100 new!

ATB! :good:

Are you considering any new benellis? Or are you going down the gas operated route?

Not bothered about gas or inertia.

Like I said, I've been using a Benelli 121 for some time, my first semi auto, and now have some tick boxes which I want in the new gun.

Weight, though I know the extreme isn't the lightest semi on the market.

Recoil, the Benelli's do like to kick.

Steel proof, mine isn't.

Minimum 3" chamber.

And my silly requirement, aesthetics. I have to like the look of it. The maxus and SX3 ticked all the boxes barring the look, the stock is just so thin it almost looks toy'ish if that makes sense. I don't want to get into a debate over these, I do appreciate they are good guns.

Don't discount the Remington versamax , I went from beretta to one last year and have so far been impressed .

Must have had 2000 cartridges through it now and still waiting for my first jam , its come through a season on the foreshore without a spec of rust which seems to be more than can be said for the benellis .

It is also very soft shooting and has a 3 1/2 inch chamber and is very easy to clean.

I bought an extrema 1 a while ago - useful in all environments and never a fault - mine's black synthetic, no wood and I was lucky, good gas operated recoil system.

I had a beretta 687 and they seem to fit me off the shelf so it had to be a Beretta. I would shoot a few in the bracket you are looking at and decide on best fit/performance and go for the 3 and 1/4 inch - the recoil systems are better. I use it for eveything. The only downside is finding the spent cartridges but they all fail on that.