Gun Cabinets

Ozo

hey all, im a fabricator/engineer with my own workshop, im thinking of building my own gun cabinets because as you all probably know the cabinets you buy are pretty cramped and not well finished inside(not finished at all really). I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to some documentation on the British Standards and legal requirements for cabinets.

Thanks Andy

Try this....

http://www.bsistandards.co.uk/shop/product...w.php?prod=6516

The publication is about £33, that's a third of the cost of a ready made cabinet.

Good luck with your project.

Steve

He might want to make a 18 gun one or something though

Yep, true.

I considered doing one myself but could never figure out how to hide the hinges. Having bought one, I see that the hinges are top and bottom and that the door 'wraps into' the cabinet.

Still seems a lot of work though.

If you look around you will find test reports, these reports are by the BS people trying to break into a cab built to those standards - they list each test and statement in them, sure I have seen them :huh:

Not a spec as such, but more "something which will withstand attack from xyz tools for 30 mins" etc..

BS icons can be downloaded and printed on labels which can be cut out and stuck to your cabinets.

Remember a cabinet needs to be as strong as your security requires. The Police do not enforce cabinets - but it is a simple method of security.

I suggest you make yours to the specification you feel is suitable. Do remember to make the floor pan with a double 'L' lip drop at the front to take the door and still leave the floor level above the bottom of the door level rather than leaving a low floor and sharp lip on the door recess to always catch your stocks on when you remove your weapons.

You don't have to worry about concealed hinges. Although consealed hinges look neater they do take up room inside the cabinet and they add considerably to the complexity of the build and really offer no extra protection - just use steel 1" piano hinge spot welded BUT weld a full length strip on the hinge side of the inside of the door so that it goes behind the jam when the door is shut which means even if the hinge is ground off the door cannot be removed. Another good security idea is to put two to four pegs on the door edge that go into the door jam so increasing resistance to leverage at the corners.

I have made both my own single door 18" cabinet and a double door 40" one and I am sure they are considerably stronger than the bought ones and cost a very little. I had mine shot blasted and powder coated which increased the cost but it is so much more resistant to wear and tear that it is worth it.

Thanks all! Price isnt an object(within reason) id just like a good strong cabinet that is well finished inside, i want to make custom racks for my rifle and shottie and some other storage aswell, i know i could just buy one but building one seems more fun. The only thing that im not all together sure with is complying to bs, do i need the police/someone to test the cabinet? Maybe i should ring my local firearms office and put them over it?

Ozo

hey all, im a fabricator/engineer with my own workshop,

Thanks Andy

As a time served sheetmetalworker my advice is to buy one ........my particular cabinet is well made and finished off professionally but now is the integual bit ............The locking mechanism which looks like something that came off a Bank of England bank vault or more to the point 5 solid bars equally spaced top to bottom that move across to lock the cabinet on the turn of a key .

For the £165 it cost no way could I duplicate it for the price and If I took it to my workshop I estimate it would take me at least 15 mins to cut into it carefully (Not damaging the contents ,From a thiefs point of view )using all the equipment that I have at my disposal .

I'm sure if you look around there must be this type available to you .

:)

I once owned and ran a general engineering and steel fabricators business, but decided that it was better , quicker and cheaper to buy a cabinet. We even looked into going into production of shotgun cabinets, but decided that the market was already saturated with supply.

I bought a Brattonsound, which is extremely well made, although many of the others on the market are well made, with varying degrees of finish. I would buy the cabinet that met my needs, make the internal fittings from some decent hardwood, and line the inside with some felt backed carpet; dont use the foam backed stuff.

webber