Should the English have a say on Scottish independence?

Blunderbuss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine lives on the Isle of Skye.

There are, allegedly, a larger number than usual of properties for sale on the island. Many locals apparently fear a property slump if the vote is "Yes" so they are selling up before their properties become seriously devalued. This, coupled with the current general economic situation seems to suggest that a "Yes" vote could be followed by many leaving the country before the ineviatable rise in taxation and the subsequent slide in property values.

It will be a tragic irony if that happens as property will get snapped up on the cheap by wealthy English buyers for second homes and holiday lets as has happened on Harris.

S/life are currently looking very profitable and with RBS posting an £8bn loss you can understand why they would want to get out before the uncertainty of independence. Another poll suggested the major tax payers would also leave (go south) leaving dear old Alex with a massive social bill and little revenue. Scotland is more scewed towards the wealthy than the rest of UK - the majority live in social housing and there is a big health issue around alcohol and obesity so you can see why vote may not go his way.

S/life are currently looking very profitable and with RBS posting an £8bn loss you can understand why they would want to get out before the uncertainty of independence. Another poll suggested the major tax payers would also leave (go south) leaving dear old Alex with a massive social bill and little revenue. Scotland is more scewed towards the wealthy than the rest of UK - the majority live in social housing and there is a big health issue around alcohol and obesity so you can see why vote may not go his way.

Oil - it will save the day.

i think that we should change the whole thing to "chavhaven" with the compulary immigrant test "how to milk the system" and the national flower to be a cannabis plant. maybe change the color and design of the flag to a arrow pointing downwards with the words "crib" so people know where they live. after all thats where its gonna end up.

Im English through and through and have lived here all my days. I hope its a NO vote BUT I think we (the rest of the UK) are being daft if we believe everything coming from Westminster an the Better Together campaign. Have we not seen enough in our lifetimes to realise that the government dont care about anything outwith the south east and London. All this slagging of the scots is childish-every country has its wasters-but I genuinly believe Cameron is scared of losing scotland because of the wealth that comes from the north sea and what that brings to the treasury. I personally dislike salmond but would credit him with being an extremely clever man and a much better politician than we have down here in the likes of milliband, cameron et al. Its his smugness that gets my goat but he keeps setting up traps and cameron falls for it hook, line and sinker every time. Rant over!

I have no idea what the outcome of the vote will be. I would personally prefer things to remain as they are. However, if the voters in Scotland (NOT just the Scots) decide to be independent and vote YES, then this should mean total independence. Not a selective version which seems to be what is being viewed at present. I really don't know, but my guess is if there was as much oil left as some seem to believe the Government would have been putting up a lot more fight. Maybe they know more than they are letting on ? If the fields are running low then letting the dregs go with the YES vote meaning Scotland isn't a drain on overall finances when the oil revenue dries up could be a good long term plan ? Now there is something to ponder upon.

David Cameron during his visit to Scotland yesterday expressed his regret that as an Englishman he would not able to vote on whether Scotland should leave the Union.

When the UK Prime Minister has such a weak grasp of the principles of democracy we ought to be worried. Does he know that the age of imperialism is over? The UK is a voluntary union between consenting nations. If one of those nations proposes leaving the union that is a matter for the people of that nation and them alone. Certainly the terms, the logistics and the division of assets, debts and capital is something on which all member states should agree but the principles of self-determination must remain inviolable.

The United Kingdom is not the Soviet Union. As members of a free society, if the citizens of Scotland wish to secede from the UK, the rest of us do not have the power of veto. What if Scots vote to leave and the rest of the UK vote not to let them? Do we drive tanks into Galloway? Do we turn Scotland into Chechnya? We have no right to vote to keep them in the Union against their will. I'm astonished that David Cameron should wish that we had. And this is the man who proposes to negotiate our terms of membership with the EU. The mind boggles.

Yes but if Scotland leave the union they should leave 100%, hand over their British passports and be issued Scottish ones.They then should be banned from claiming any benefits in England.Not able to use the NHS,Pound sterling and have to apply to join the EU in their own right.Then when it goes pear shaped it is up to England Wales and Northern Ireland to decide if we let them back in

There was a report on the BBC this morning of 'yes' campaign activists trying to encourage those on benefits to vote, as they traditionally dont vote on anything as they feel 'disenfranchised'.

I wonder how many Scots see this as simply a means to power for a small majority and how many truly believe those on benefits, who will subsequently be paid for by those who earn, should tip the balance to leave the Union. Another use for oil revenue ?

It would be good to get at the truth of all this, if I was a scot. As it is I shall await the outcome with no real worries, just regret for what was a productive union and is then no more.

There was a report on the BBC this morning of 'yes' campaign activists trying to encourage those on benefits to vote, as they traditionally dont vote on anything as they feel 'disenfranchised'.

I wonder how many Scots see this as simply a means to power for a small majority and how many truly believe those on benefits, who will subsequently be paid for by those who earn, should tip the balance to leave the Union. Another use for oil revenue ?

It would be good to get at the truth of all this, if I was a scot. As it is I shall await the outcome with no real worries, just regret for what was a productive union and is then no more.

Iv'e mentioned it before but we get no propaganda through our doors, no live debate, no knocking on the door, no information, You have to google it or look on PW (god help us)

just spent 6 days in Gloucester (by heck what a boring place) on a course that was also attended by 6 lads from north of Hadrian's wall, not one of the 6 repeat not one had any time for a certain Mr Salmond and his one ticket agenda, in fact the main betting was on how he will disappear from public office after the result?

KW

Edited by kdubya

Living in the scotish borders i think scotland will go independant only on the fact that scotish folk will vote yes as they just love to see scotland being al glory and shiny and having nothing to do with England ! and not actually thinking of the quonciquences it will bring.. Mr salmond has been around nearly every school in scotland talking to kids over 16 and brainwashing them in facts that are not true .. My vote will be No but my guess is it will go indepedant and if it does am moving away to somewhere with some sun !

My boss at work is glaswegian, we had a good chat about scottish independance, he is bang against it, he reckons it will be very bad for scotland and britain........ An interesting point he as a scot living in england isn't allowed to vote on this, scots living abroad can as can those in scotland, why can't scots living in england, wales and northern ireland be allowed to vote? Answer is they see the strengths of the union...... So alex salmond doesn't want them upsetting his little apple cart