Hemal nodes in deer carcass

Redgum

This may be of interest to those less experienced. I had a call from a mate who found some black bean like lumps in a fallow carcass, they were in the neck around the windpipe and in the fat inside the pelvic area. I have seen this a few times in deer carcasses and these black spots are Hemel nodes and part of the lymphatic system. If the deer appears to be in good health, pluck and glands look Ok in normal check then this is not a problem and its fine for human consumption

post-22471-0-58046500-1393204773_thumb.jpg

i've corrected the title - as this is a Hemel node... :lol:

swindon.jpg

That's Swindon's magic roundabout about a 85 mile drive from Hemel :whistling::lol::lol::lol:

To the OP. Thanks for posting, I have only shot one stag (under supervision from Elk Hunter of hear) and am looking at doing it again some time in the future. Inspecting the pluck was part of the day with Elk Hunter and all was fine, your pic shows what was explained as a sign of a possible problem in the animal. Seeing the image has helped me identify what was explained. Thank you :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

The magic roundabout at Hemel Hempstead isn't so much fun, the designers put some trees in the middle to stop you doing 70 across it. Back to my original topic, I posted this up as my mate was about to throw away a perfectly good carcass as he thought it was some type of virus or worm larva. Just to bore the micky takers with science the Hemel nodes are apparently blood filters in the Lymphatic system, its not sure if seeing them like this is due to the hydrostatic shock from the bullet in a certain place driving blood back through the veins or sign of the animal just getting over some type of infection/virus.

• 5 years later...
On 23/02/2014 at 19:20, Redgum said:

This may be of interest to those less experienced. I had a call from a mate who found some black bean like lumps in a fallow carcass, they were in the neck around the windpipe and in the fat inside the pelvic area. I have seen this a few times in deer carcasses and these black spots are Hemel nodes and part of the lymphatic system. If the deer appears to be in good health, pluck and glands look Ok in normal check then this is not a problem and its fine for human consumption

Thank you. I thought it was some kind of worm infestation