Black powder storage box plans.

glad your getting around to it :)

http://www.bristolmuzzleloaders.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Muzzleloading/blackpowderstore.htm

http://www.reloadingsales.webspace.virginmedia.com/small_box.htm

with your hardware, hasp & stapple are ok in steel as they are outside the box but with your hinges and hinge screws becasue they are inside the box they must be non ferrous so they can not cause a spark and ignite the powder so get brass

you need to allow 30% of the powder bottle heigth in clearance inside the box so the box has to be taller, i know your looking at kranks powder so ill measure a bottle later and put them on here

one thing i did was paint the exterior of my box, there is nohing in the regulations saying we cant so i checked and i was ok to do it... only did it as my ply was ropey as it had been left outside but it keeps it looking nice as its in the house as well

heres some of the bits i had from ebay for my box

bike lock to secure the box, doesnt have to be a silly strong one just enough to stop soeone picking the box up and walking away with it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400525343244?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2792wt_1063

intuescent strip, not a requireent but something they like to see so i got it to keep them happy been as i had painted my box

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251305640414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3010wt_825

warning stickers, again not a requireent but used to keep the happy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261145066945?var=560175158872&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_889wt_918

Edited by kiffy

underdog has your box passed inspection? the reason i ask is generally thwy wont pass inspection or at least in my neck of the woods they wont if their made from pine and it doesnt sound like you have the dividers between sections as each bottle must be seperated

and its not an insualtion strip they like its an intuescent strip which expands when it gets hot, mines 2mm thick but when it reaches a high enough teperature will expand to 20mm to fomr a tight fireproof airtight seal.. but you dont need the its just something they like and fireproof eans naff all really when the box is ade of ply

Edited by kiffy

Yeah he came out and had a look. I told him I only need a couple of bottles in. He had a squint at it and handed the ticket over!

There was talk of doing away with the licence altogether for shooting purposes! I mean the IRA and Binladen types seem to manage without a licence don't they :rolleyes:

I did enquire of him via phone first. He told me that what is required is a wooden box with a min' thickness of 18mm and 30% extra space, he did not mention partitioning a small box for a couple of bottles but did mention the lid should be spark resistant via foam strip or similar.

I did also fix that box in a old wooden ammo box too because I had it!

I still think we are all at more risk on the roads!

U :good:

thats amazing, i know south wales they stick to the regs in so far as box construction so i wouldnt have got away with what you did so cant fault you

there are far ore dangerous things in the world but i happy having restrictions on black powder its not the safest thing around and without a license i can iagine it being sotred in all sorts of silyl dangerous places by some idiots

just remebered to measure my bottle of kranks powder, its 62mm wide and 210mm high so with the 30% air space it needs to have a minmium internal 300mm height to pass inspection

for my securing the box i drilled two holes through one section on each corner of the box then aded a false bottom a few inches up to seal the box and passed the bike lock through it then attached it to the side of a wardrobe

heres my box, a bit rough around the edges but im no carpenter and my sheet of ply was dodgy as it had been left outside for a couple of weeks before i rescued it and dragged it into my workshop and didnt really want to sand it to uch to tidy it up as it wouldnt then have been 18mm thick.. inside the lid i also put a second lift out section with extra intuescent strip only as i had leftovers from sealing the lid.. also although my hinges are ok as their brass i used a couple of offcuts to seal over them.. i painted the outside with a tin of paint i have had in the workshop for about 20 years so an awfull colour but its in the spare unused bedroom so it doesnt matter

post-58889-0-90721400-1393446685_thumb.jpg

post-58889-0-48973300-1393446694_thumb.jpg

Wildfowler-you may be correct but I have not been told this by the FEO that passed my box/security. My shed had to have an alarm fitted and the box chained to the wall because, according to the FEO , that is what the H&S recommendations are? p.s.-just read the full regs and you are correct-550g-when I find a couple of plastic bottles I will split the powder.

Edited by bruno22rf