The trout and Salmon thread

strangford  wildfowler

Just back infrom getting my game and rod licence which for an adult is £17 I got the juvenile under 19 years of age and it was £2 !!!!!

To say I was surprised was and understatement so I got the chance to get a few mepps and a devon minnow a pint of woms all for tomarrow first day of the season cant wait to feel that rush when you get a good sized fish

All the best SW

This was my best ever day at the salmon some years ago. I caught 12 in the day, all on a fly, and the weights ranged from 5 1/2 lbs to 19 1/4 lbs. This was in England and I confess that I am not much of a fisherman.

Sorry this was supposed to be in the 'Salmon and trout' thread.

P1010002-2.jpg

Edited by JDog

I know it's a can of worms and all, but if you had that day again do you think you would return more of them?

It's no can of worms to me. Without doubt I would have returned almost all of them. In those days there was no question that if you caught it you killed it. At the time I had a hotel not five miles from where these fish were caught and they fed my guests royally for quite some time.

A fantastic catch .

Times have changed greatly .

I remember as a kid how eels were routinely knocked on the head and chucked up the bank for being a nuisance wrapping themselves around the line .

Pike and Zander were culled in the fens as it was believed they were having a negative effect on sport , which turned out to be rubbish.

A fantastic catch .

I remember as a kid how eels were routinely knocked on the head and chucked up the bank for being a nuisance wrapping themselves around the line .

Pike and Zander were culled in the fens as it was believed they were having a negative effect on sport , which turned out to be rubbish.

Sadly fenboy it still happens at my local

This was my best ever day at the salmon some years ago. I caught 12 in the day, all on a fly, and the weights ranged from 5 1/2 lbs to 19 1/4 lbs. This was in England and I confess that I am not much of a fisherman.

P1010002-2.jpg

why kill a dirty old cock fish? and don't say for smoking, as no decent smoke house would smoke that fish!

I was expecting a comment like yours when I first seen the pic.I see your point billy and I would have to agree with you,more so in this day and age,but!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair to Jdog he as already explained himself once.like it or not,it was the done thing back then,gladly things have changed for most of us since those days.

Best wishes

Swingit

P1010002-2.jpg

Thats a cracking days sport in anyones books.

As said luckily times have changed and restraint is shown more nowadays but back in the days of plenty there was not a lot returned but then again there was not a lot wasted either with everyone getting their share on the plate.As for the smoking hoose nay taking it,ive seen a lot worse go to the smoker.

How many did you actually hook that day fella?

Edited by sako751sg

sako

It was just a fluke of a day. The river had stopped rising the day before and the fish just poured into the stretch I was fishing and were taking as if there was no tomorrow. I caught many on the same fly which had so few hairs on it by the time I changed it it was nearly a bare hook. I do not recall losing a single fish that I hooked.

strangford

No the largest was 19 1/4 lbs, smallest 5 1/2 lbs. All caught on a standard stoat's tail (or at least a number of stoat's tails) in various states of disrepair as above.

These fish were caught on the river Derwent in Cumbria, less well known than the Eden but productive never the less.

P1010002-2.jpg

Lord....that was some years ago.....to no surprise, you already had a BIG Cap on :lol::lol::lol: ,

Hugs :friends:

Mark

P1010002-2.jpg

I can see its an old photo, if someone killed coloured fish or that amount of fish today he should check under his car for IEDs today. Good day none the less

sako

It was just a fluke of a day. The river had stopped rising the day before and the fish just poured into the stretch I was fishing and were taking as if there was no tomorrow. I caught many on the same fly which had so few hairs on it by the time I changed it it was nearly a bare hook. I do not recall losing a single fish that I hooked.

strangford

No the largest was 19 1/4 lbs, smallest 5 1/2 lbs. All caught on a standard stoat's tail (or at least a number of stoat's tails) in various states of disrepair as above.

These fish were caught on the river Derwent in Cumbria, less well known than the Eden but productive never the less.

I guy approached me with a little trout rod in one hand and dragging a wopping big Salmon in the other coloured as a kipper it was. "can you tell me what I have just caught please?" This was were the river joins the lake. "Yes mate a big and very coloured salmon and a big fine if you get caught by the bailiff and a possible good kicking if its another salmon angler" Heck I don't know how he did it even dead the flow was quite a bit and he was holding what amounted to a little brook rod and I doubt he had even put any backing on. I estimated 25 lb ish circa late 80's that

I have fished a variety of stillwater and river venues and had some great sport but I've never had a chuffing trout over 4 lb. Its pants. I had some great sport during the prolonged mayfly hatch last year but no big fish. I dont mind catching dinner platers 99% of the time but it would be nice if the monotony was punctuated with the odd photo worthy fish.

I bought a cheap set up for salt water fly fishing a few years back and I have infinitely more fun catching schoolies on the flood than I do trout fishing. I only trout fish to catch up with an old pal these days, and whilst the days are always memorable, its rarely because of the sport.

Hold them really near the camera and stand well back then, size isn't always quality as you have no doubt experienced on those School Bass. If the fish only run 4lb that's likely going to be the biggest you catch, if its a hole in the ground fishery and they put a load of doubles in from the tanks yesterday I guess you can figure out the likely result

Well just back from the fisrt day of the season it wasnt a blank put it like that

Here goes

I caught 4 brown trout up to half a pound it was vetlry hard going

My brother caught

6 brown trout up to half a pound

The jammy so and so also caught 4 sea trout up to a pound

20140302_122702_zps7d6c74b6.jpg

Went down the river today to try for a sea trout and I got lucky and caught a fiah of about 1lb it was on the verge of coming home when I hooked up to him

Nice wee fish. Did you take him home? I love sea trout fishing, biggest I ever had was 2 3/4lbs on flying c.

Blimey! The Wye?

P1010002-2.jpg

Now it's just the EE's and black plague that have a negative effect, and they truly do.

A fantastic catch .

Nice wee fish. Did you take him home? I love sea trout fishing, biggest I ever had was 2 3/4lbs on flying c.

Yes ollie i did take him home but I would have rather put him back I only took him because he was bleeding from the gills which you can just make out in the picture and my dad wanted one