Thumbs up for key hole surgery

Alpha Mule

Just (Wednesday) had keyhole surgery on my knee to deal with a large tear in the cartilage. I have had 3 slipped discs dealt with under 2 ops previously, so was expecting a serious amount of pain and immobility. However: I was advised to get out and about and move it as much as is comfy. I left the hospital on the same day only hours after the surgery and yesterday walked (with the aid of crutches) for about a mile. Not much more pain that I was having before the op and I actually didn't feel any pain later in the day.

I'm very impressed.

The girlfriend is also very impressed, but is keeping the reins tight. She isn't letting me out with the rifle, just yet.

We resettled the main bandaging and were slightly put off by the aftermath blood (all dried), but nothing too scary.

Really good to hear that all went well and relatively painl;essly and that you are on the mend!

Just remember to pace yourself!

Edit: Now might be a good time to tell your GF that the doctor said that a few glasses of a really tasty real ale (Or even a good single malt if that's what you enjoy) might help to speed the healing process up!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I've had Arthroscopic surgery on shoulders and elbows,with more to come in the future.

I too, have been impressed with the minimal wound, along with an accelerated recovery time.

Hope you're 'back on your feet' soon :)

Regards remmyman

I had that and it hurt to *******! The five holes in my shoulder didn't look much but I was suffering very painful twinges for months afterwards.

It's ok now though and I'm glad I had it :)

I had that and it hurt to *******! The five holes in my shoulder didn't look much but I was suffering very painful twinges for months afterwards.

It's ok now though and I'm glad I had it :)

Agreed, I couldn't even drive for six weeks.

The point I was trying to make though is that 'open' surgical techniques have a far longer/complicated recovery time.(at least that's what my surgeon told me)

Regards remmyman

I was told that if they couldn't sort it key-hole sylee, they would just 'pop' my knee open and do it fully open. Almost barfed at that point.

Ta for the encouragements. Will go for a stagger to and from the pub tonight.

I haven't had anything stronger than an ibuprofen today. I've been up and down stairs and never looked at the crutches. Feeling all proud and gloaty now.

Edit: we PWers do seem to be a battle scarred lot.

Edited by Alpha Mule

Just short of 20 months ago I did next to nothing but ripped my medial and lateral meniscus in my knee to shreds.

Painful does not describe it, fortunately I had the operation just 2 months later, via keyhole, I seem to recall the word was Arthroscopy (is that how you spell it?).

The very nice surgeon gave me a sheet of 6 photos he took INSIDE my knee during the op...... anyway, it was all done and dusted in about 4 hours, arrival to leaving hospital, recovery/physio was much better than I had any right to expect, but I really had made a mess, so it will never be right and is still a problem, but hey that's life, I'm not complaining!

I had a bucket-handle tear in the cartilage of my right knee, that kept sticking in one position after I bent it but no real pain. Had keyhole repair and an overnight stay with a drip from the knee - hard to sleep so wandered around pushing a stand with a drip receptacle in it. Its maybe 15 years ago now and the knee has a restricting lump where the op took place. Apparently I had a bit of a butcher but it still works. I hope yours is as good as it seems and sees you through without further pain. If not, give the surgeon a good kicking (with the good leg).

Unfortunately the girlfriend is wise to my 'manoeuvring' (boom - tschh!)

More walking today and it was easier without any crutches.

My kids are fascinated by pictures of post op bloody plasters and bandages, but want to **** around on the crutches (which is as it should be).