28 bore semi on the Corvids

Pykie

After popping down to my local gun shop Ladds of Crediton with a friend to get him a new Beretta auto, I somehow came away with a gun myself!! A Armsan Cre8 28 bore. After smashing a few clays with it and being very impressed with its range and lightness I had to buy it and with a case of 21 gm 7s I was off home. A couple days later a good keeper friend of mine asked if I wanted to try my new toy out on some corvids that were on the old maize gamecrops. I arrived yesterday morning at half 7 and was met by a good few hundred mixed corvids in the field he had mentioned. Setting up half a dozen full bodied flocked crows, plus a floater, and a couple of pigeon shells just incase, I set up my hide between some old pen sections and waited to see what happened. I was a little dubious to the killing range of the 28 bore and let the first come in real close before killing him with my first shot. I then killed the next 8 in a row before missing number 10. I was radially pushing my range and soon crows were dropping dead a good 35 yards out, the sigma of my "little" gun gone. I was taking on everything I would with my usual Beretta 12 bore auto and was surprised to the damage the small 21 grams were doing, many crows really puffed when hit. The action was thick and fast, my Sam Neyt crow call bringing several in right across the field, even if I had just fired a shot. In an hour I had 45 down and a unlucky woodpigeon and saw my ammunition supply was running dangerously low! A quick call to my brother to bring me some more cartridges and I rationed my last shots, ending up with 63 corvids and the pigeons. With an empty gun, I ran across the two fields and arrived at the farm track as my brother pulled in. We both went back to the hide and it was all quiet for a good half hour before they started returning but not in the madness the first two hours had given me. The corvids then stopped but a few pigeons coming back for a last feed and to roost kept our sport going with Dad popping up and having a go as well. We finished with 94 corvids and 32 pigeons so our first Red Letter Day this year and a excellent christening of the new 28 bore auto!

I had my Contour camera so crow shooting action of the day in video section very soon!

post-11726-0-97294500-1393585338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pykie