hmr 17 cleaning

babs2020

Hasnt been cleaned properly in 3 years and probably more before me and still shoots perfect with no spread in groups.

This is quite irresponsible the 17hmr is not like a .22 the build up of copper in the bore will cause over pressure eventually as will the powder residue .You will be lucky to get a .17 brush through the barrel all I can say is it would be normal to clean some where between 50-100 shots and no more ,

Mine gets the bore snake through it every time I come back from shooting which is normally between 30 -60 shots .

Deershooter

An emotive subject with usually strong views at both ends of the clean it - never clean it, scale.

Many here will already know I cut my teeth in the target world, and gun care was paramount, that has stayed with me ever since; my guns get cleaned, and they work. :yes::good:

I say this a lot but you cannot spoil a gun from too much cleaning (in the correct way) you can spoil one from not enough. The only rifle that I own which can come out of the safe dirty without ant oil to be cleaned from the bore is the .22lr (not that I think cleaning it is wrong just the bullets contain a lube anyhow that I feel prevents corrosion to a degree and I often gab it in a hurry). None the less the .22 wont go through a brick of ammo without a clean and will always get a clean and a few zero / checking rounds before a major session.

If a gun has gotten wet in the rain its a no questions full clean an lube, regardless of if its been fired.

My programme was a thorough clean (overnight 009, barrel down) for a new gun before first shot, then the first ten rounds each had a clean, and now a clean after every outing which is either after about a dozen shots or after condensation has been removed from bringing a cold gun into a warm house. Although a typical outing for me is around a dozen black flappy things I do carry a bore snake for a quick 'in-field TLC' just in case I have a field day.

Total cleaning kit bill (rod, spear jag, brush, 009, oil, pro-shot patches, rod guide and bore snake) was a bit frightening at about £130 from memory!!

Absolutely agree with the comment that careful cleaning won't damage your gun and although it is a drag it is good discipline to care for the thing that does good work for you.

Dekers is right - there is varying advice - perhaps clean it when new, clean it when subject to weather, then clean it at what seems a reasonable interval to you...but DO clean it. Seems fair?

This is quite irresponsible the 17hmr is not like a .22 the build up of copper in the bore will cause over pressure eventually as will the powder residue .You will be lucky to get a .17 brush through the barrel all I can say is it would be normal to clean some where between 50-100 shots and no more ,

Mine gets the bore snake through it every time I come back from shooting which is normally between 30 -60 shots .

Deershooter

actually a bore snake fits down it quite easily even, I give it a pull through of one maybe every 100 rounds, but I wouldnt consider that proper cleaning.

hi guys how often do clean your 17 some one told me every 15 to 20 shots

i think you would do more harm than good raming a rod down the barrel of a 17 every 15 to 20 shots.a dirty barrel is just dirty.a badly cleaned barrel is ruined.i now only clean when group opens up,then a very careful and thorough clean.tried the clean after every outing,but would always have to put 20 rounds down it to bring back on zero...

i think you would do more harm than good raming a rod down the barrel of a 17 every 15 to 20 shots.a dirty barrel is just dirty.a badly cleaned barrel is ruined.i now only clean when group opens up,then a very careful and thorough clean.tried the clean after every outing,but would always have to put 20 rounds down it to bring back on zero...

Yes bad cleaning will ruin a barrel, correct cleaning with a bore guide etc will not. The only reason your gun (with a copper jacket bullet) needs 20 rounds to bring it back on is to fill the voids and corrosion created through past errors in cleaning OR to even out the muck you left in when doing the clean that has "lumped up" in patches. A clean bore is the only repeatable bore state, you cannot replicate a state of dirty.

The only exception to the above is with unjacketed bullets, as the bore then needs re-leading and lubing with the passage of bullets to settle its zero following a clean. The first shot is still very accurate but all further bullets will pass down a fundamentally very different bore so the impact point needs to settle. Copper jackets leave far less metal in the tube (being a far tougher metal than soft lead) and no lube.