Electronic Crow Calling

BenGriffiths97

I recently purchased an ICOtec GC350 caller, and plan to use it for foxes next time I am out.

I am aware these are illegal for use when hunting crows, but I'm fairly intrigued as to how effective an electric call would be. Does anyone here have any links to good corvid calls? Will post results if successful.

ATB, Ben

I recently purchased an ICOtec GC350 caller, and plan to use it for foxes next time I am out.

I am aware these are illegal for use when hunting crows, but I'm fairly intrigued as to how effective an electric call would be. Does anyone here have any links to good corvid calls? Will post results if successful.

ATB, Ben

If you even consider trying to call in crows or other corvids using an electronic call, then don't even have the gun with you on that day.

Yes, I'm serious. By some chance if it was reported to the RSPB that you were using an electronic call to bring in corvids, and you had a gun with you, then I wouldn't fancy your chances. They will go all out for a conviction

Fox pro wildfire will pull them in from miles

Just watched fox pro wildfire used on crows in the USA I think. Certainly does pull them in!

It puzzles me why it's illegal to use electronic calls for crows, but ok for ground vermin??

Just watched fox pro wildfire used on crows in the USA I think. Certainly does pull them in!

It puzzles me why it's illegal to use electronic calls for crows, but ok for ground vermin??

I have discussed this with Natural England. Apprently there is a concern that allowing recordings could be too effective and, as there is currently no reporting of numbers shot required under the GLs, there could be a sudden dip in numbers which could go too far before it becomes apparent and they get the chance to take them off the GLs.

However, NE are considering voluntary or even compulsary reporting for all GLs ( see http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/wildlifelicensingconsultation.aspx ) so if it does become compulsary we could push for the restriction to be lifted.

Who would take part in voluntary reporting if as a trade-off electronic calls were allowed?

I have discussed this with Natural England. Apprently there is a concern that allowing recordings could be too effective and, as there is currently no reporting of numbers shot required under the GLs, there could be a sudden dip in numbers which could go too far before it becomes apparent and they get the chance to take them off the GLs.

However, NE are considering voluntary or even compulsary reporting for all GLs ( see http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/wildlifelicensingconsultation.aspx ) so if it does become compulsary we could push for the restriction to be lifted.

Who would take part in voluntary reporting if as a trade-off electronic calls were allowed?

I wouldn't...... They obviously work well though.... but I've been doing a fair bit of decoying lately, using my "Primos Power Crow Call". I've gone from making sounds like a crow being strangled, to something near right, as I've drawn a few in lately. I'm even shooting a few of them to! :lol:

• 6 years later...

I use a primo crow call I only ever used to shoot a few crows every time I go out an if I see a crow within 400 yards I start calling and it more or less always comes in I used to be terrible but I kept practicing and a useful tip is when you blow the call try and growl into it instead of blowing normaly 

4 hours ago, Eddie B said:

Count your blessings. We can't even use crow decoys here in Ireland. Also not allowed use any calls to draw in fox's.

Not even with your own mouth ?????

The only electronic calls I have tried and have a few are too raucous and nothing like the true sound, where a blown one you can vary from soft to hard as required.

On 04/01/2021 at 14:51, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Never knew that . Do you mean electronic calls or any calls ?

Seemingly any call. Loads still use mouth calls though, and many don't even know its illegal.

On 04/01/2021 at 15:03, Walker570 said:

Not even with your own mouth ?????

The only electronic calls I have tried and have a few are too raucous and nothing like the true sound, where a blown one you can vary from soft to hard as required.

Think that's the only method deemed ok to use, but loads of lads still use mouth and electronic calls, not even aware that they are illegal to use.

I use one of these, about a fiver.

Takes a bit of practice but if you hold it vertical against your bottom lip and sort of growl, *** blow and roll your rrrsss, it can be very convincing. 

Vary the length and depth of blow and it can bring crows in from a fair distance. Providing the decoy pattern is right and the crows are feeding.

Best used when crows are circling or over flying.

To the best of my knowledge and belief quite legal.

I'm also told you can imitate magpies, jays and pigeon but I'm not that good. 

20210106_182603.jpg

20210106_182536.jpg