Squirrel Calling?

BenGriffiths97

While dray poking in late February, some newborn squirrels dropped out of a dray squeaking away. While dispatching of the critters, surely enough, a parent squirrel came racing through the trees towards us, after giving it a barrel, I was wondering if squirrel calling could be effective? Maybe a "young squirrel in distress" call. If anyone has any experience with squirrel calling, I'd be very interested as to how you got on, also, if anyone has any sounds online that could be downloaded, I'd be very interested in trying this myself.

ATB, Ben

Yup, definitely works :yes: I was out zeroing the hmr in the summer and thought I'd give the last 20mins of the session to seeing if a fox would squeak in. Well, no fox, but within 10 mins, I had a grey hurling itself along the trees in my direction. It settled not 15 feet from me in the tree. It was really quite angry :lol: I tried it again earlier this year and had two that came in like the door bell was being rung. If you do a search on youtube, the yanks are really into it. They make a caller out of a threaded nylon rod with a coin rubbed up and down. They think the noise squirrels make is them gnawing through nuts, but think its more of a territorial statement. Either way, give it a go :yes: I just do the old fashioned "fox squeak on the back of the hand" trick. Seems to work :yes:

Edited by turbo33