Complete beginner.

Marki

After years of shooting rabbits with air rifles I'm about to have a go at some pigeons with the shotgun. I've read a bit and come up with this shopping list.

6 FULL BODIED FLOCKED PIGEON DECOYS (I already have a dozen shells)

4 X SOLID FOOT HIDE POLES IN A BAG

**NEW** STEALTH GHOST NET 5M PRO GREEN BACKED

BUCKET SPINNING SEAT

Total is around £110 with postage from A1 Decoys.

There is nothing special there but does it look ok for a start? The bucket seat just seems practical but I'm not sure if it is worth having over a bag? Is there anything else that I need to take on my first couple of missions?

Cheers,

Mark

Ok for a start, loads of other bits and bobs you may wish to pick up later, all empty your wallet and add weight to what you carry which can be a consideration.

Reading on here will give you some good insight.

Only one thing I would add apart from what has already been said , a sack or bag for your downed pigeons :yes:

Should get you off to a decent start and if you're carrying it that'll be enough by the end of the day especially if you are lucky enough to bring back some pigeons.

The bucket seat will prove worth it as standing all morning or afternoon is tiring in itself but can also make you move about more than if you can just sit still.

The bucket seat is also quite spacious and you should get a lot of what you need in it ( flask/cartridges/some decoys/net etc) but I would recommend getting a big bag which can take the bucket seat and all your other kit (just the way that I do it but others may have their own ideas and advice)

As rimotu66 has said above , don't forget a big bag full of patience and take enough sense of humour with you to last all day.

good luck

Yeah that list looks good for it!

One thing of the bucket seats are that they are very low down if you plan to stand up and shoot.

What I use and recommend is a old preowned office chair than, using a crowbar or a hammer remove the wheels.

You can spin nicely on it, can adjust the height nicely and it's very comfy.

Like this: http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/164-6170972A72UC576020M.jpg

I would also take a pair of binoculars from scouting and if it gets quiet.

Looks good to start with and you can add to it as you go along.

As already stated One thing you will need (if you don't already have one) is a good size bag with which to carry your decoys, net etc.

Also one point on the bucket seat - certainly great for sitting down long periods but the ground must be flat otherwise it will be hard to sit and balance on and it will fall over when you stand up to shoot & chances are it will crash into your leg!

Can also recommend a flask of coffee and a kit Kat....a magnet for any pigeon (or so it seems) to pay me a visit when I'm tucking in.

Enjoy!

Looks good to start with and you can add to it as you go along.

As already stated One thing you will need (if you don't already have one) is a good size bag with which to carry your decoys, net etc.

Also one point on the bucket seat - certainly great for sitting down long periods but the ground must be flat otherwise it will be hard to sit and balance on and it will fall over when you stand up to shoot & chances are it will crash into your leg!

Can also recommend a flask of coffee and a kit Kat....a magnet for any pigeon (or so it seems) to pay me a visit when I'm tucking in.

Enjoy!

The flask of coffee will prove to be a magnet for pigeon, they can smell it from miles away. As soon as you open the flask and both hands are occupied pouring out the damned coffee, you can bet there will be pigeons landing amongst your decoys.

Marki, I take a shooting stick in car along with a home made seat which I used a lightweight small oil drum which I cut the top off & rim to make the seat. That goes in big decoy bag with decoys & net etc - saved a few quid and is comfy and fairly light

I only use stick if necessary and always try to use the drum seat as sitting on stick for hours is damn uncomfortable so doubt you will fall asleep, but maybe legs will lol

Agree with Essex Hunter a cord and saw or old garden cutters to trim any branches that may poke you in the neck!

steal some of the household clothes pegs, I find them useful to tie in the net

I'm gonna need a bigger bag!

I did quite well on some recent ebay auctions. Got a bucket seat, ghost camo net and 4 full body decoys for just over £50 delivered from A1 decoys and 4 heavy duty pole for another £20. All I need now is a field to set up in ;-).

Hahahaah read this post and thought id have a look at what i take with me........ Think i need to sort my gear out!

9 hide poles

4 nets

2 prs binoculars

Gun

Mora knife

Brass priest

Fox call

Crow call

Folding saw

Machete

Tent pegs

10 cradles

Bergara seat

Dog

Dog lead

Dog coat

Dog whistle

Swiss army knife

Game bag

Flask

2 floaters/ bouncers

Rotary magnet

2 turbo flappers

2 7ah 12v batteries

1 26ah 12v battery

12 half bodied pigeon shells

5 full bodied deeks

Lofting poles and hooks

3 50kg hessian sacks

10 dead pigeons

Mobile phone

Cartridge bag

Secateurs

Spikes to stand pigeons up (i use old bicycle spokes)

100 carts in the bag

Slab 250 carts in car

Hat, gloves, neck tube

Extra pr socks

Coat

Body warmer

Towel for dog

Water for dog

First aid kit

Sunglasses

Insect repellent

5 full bodied crow deeks

Compass

Clicker/ counter

Couple of carrier bags for empties

Army bergen

Wellies

Hiking boots

Crocs

Kitchen sink!!!

Edited by carpentermark

Hahahaah read this post and thought id have a look at what i take with me........ Think i need to sort my gear out!

9 hide poles

4 nets

2 prs binoculars

Gun

Mora knife

Brass priest

Fox call

Crow call

Folding saw

Machete

Tent pegs

10 cradles

Bergara seat

Dog

Dog lead

Dog coat

Dog whistle

Swiss army knife

Game bag

Flask

2 floaters/ bouncers

Rotary magnet

2 turbo flappers

2 7ah 12v batteries

1 26ah 12v battery

12 half bodied pigeon shells

5 full bodied deeks

Lofting poles and hooks

3 50kg hessian sacks

10 dead pigeons

Mobile phone

Cartridge bag

Secateurs

Spikes to stand pigeons up (i use old bicycle spokes)

100 carts in the bag

Slab 250 carts in car

Hat, gloves, neck tube

Extra pr socks

Coat

Body warmer

Towel for dog

Water for dog

First aid kit

Sunglasses

Insect repellent

5 full bodied crow deeks

Compass

Clicker/ counter

Couple of carrier bags for empties

Army bergen

Wellies

Hiking boots

Crocs

Kitchen sink!!!

Lol been there done that, if it don't fit in the fishing box I got from the car boot it don't go lol.

Karpman

• 3 weeks later...