UTVs

BenGriffiths97

Hi PW!

If any of you have experience with UTVs such as Kawasaki mule, John Deere gator, Polaris ranger etc. I would be very interested to hear your opinions on them. We do not own a farm, it will be used for logging, lamping, and transporting shooting/decoying gear around 35 acres of woodland owned by a relative of mine, so it will not take a lot of hammer, but we'd like it to be able to take on any realistic terrain, as well as hold a decent amount of equipment.

I look forward to hearing from you,

ATB, Ben.

Ur probably better of with a quad. I've drove a few of them, all too heavy for the size of wheels and mark the ground quite badly, only 1 i'd have is a 6 wheeler

Most farmers/keepers i know use them more to replace a pick up than a quad, and most still use there quad for day to day work. A few farmers are giving them up as too dear to fix, depending on the make but most have there own different problems/niggles

May be fine for wot u want but they are dear to buy, if ur running back and forward to same place often will very quickly rut tracks, if get stuck u need a tractor, if towing it to ground and back takes a decent sized twin axled trailer ad a decent motor to pull it.

A quad and trailer will do all u need, cheaper to buy and run, tow the quad there and back on a wee trailer and only need a wee car to tow it,

Use a mule on our shoot for feeding and other jobs, imo they are far more versatile than a quad and trailer. Can get 9 bags of wheat in the back and one on passenger seat, but unlike a trailer you dont have to have the reversing skills of a jedi to get back through the trees! Find the petrol quieter for lamping and seats shooter and lamper in comfort, only had it stuck once but that was because we fell into tractor ruts, usually will go any where

Edited by kennett

We had a JCB groundhog for a couple of years, great for feeding, towing the sheep snacker trailer etc but if I'm honest it couldn't cope with the hammer of farm life.

We bought it new and it cost us a king ransom in continual repairs, we got rid and went back to quads.

Edited by ben0850