Rifle scope

Str33t

Hi looking for a scope for a browning xbolt in .308. Looking somewhere around the £400ish mark. I have so far seen and liked the look of this one:

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/6451a9e0baec513846389740/Nikon+Monarch+III+8-32x50ED/

It's a Nikon monarch 8-32 X50ED

Will be mainly used for deer stalking but also fancy doing some long range target shooting.

any thoughts or suggestions on any other brands? Been given some advice not to scrimp on your scope.

Thanks

Edited by Str33t

zeiss TERRA 3-9x42 is 251 quid plus 26 quid delivery off evilbay ,its an american dealer and he do deliver to the uk.cant do links being computer biff but he,s got 2 left .im a stalking novice but this should do wot u need in spades .u dont need to spend 2 grand on a scope but u dont have to have a chineese poooh scope either atb clakk

Those are a lot of mag for a stalking scope / rifle. An x-bolt sporting rifle will be more limiting than your scope lacking in mag level in long range competition so stick to say 8x max in a fixed mag or 12x in a zoom. When people say buy the best scope you can foe stalking they mean as regards the lens quality (for low light were another 20min in the field can make all the difference) and ability to hold zero through knocks and bumps the gun will inevitably receive climbing into high seats, being bumped along off road on quads / argo cats /4x4s etc. and under changing tempratures.

With £400 ish I should look towards Meopta, S+Bender, Ziess, Leupold on the second hand market. 6x42 or 8x56 S+Bender Hungarian being the best value in that range, 7x50 Meopta is perhaps the cheapest to obtain if you discount the Leupold VX1 and VX2 (leupold carry a lifetime guarantee regardless of ownership).

A good shot can place competitively with an 8x scope at 300yds, a very good shot further still (I don't say its the best choice but hey compromises to make)

Thanks for the advice guys waiting for my ticket to come through it's taking ages!! Off to Scotland again at Easter and it doesn't look like it will be here in time for that!!! Got the x bolt on order just waiting to see what's in the shop second hand at the time. I've used a Meopta and a leupold and also been told to have a look at the vortex. I didn't realise the Nikon was 8-32 don't need that much thanks kent will look for max 12x and I know what you mean about lens quality I was lucky enough to borrow a pair of Swarovski binoculars and was amazed at how well they performed in low light!

if you want a cheap but very good quality bino get on ebay and look at carl zeiss jenoptem,older east german zeiss but great optics for cheap jap money.ive got 8x30 for stalking 36 quid,n 10x50 for other stuff 59 quid .compare very well to modern optiks

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Schmidt 8x56. Bought one second hand of my cousin last year for £250, you won't get better for the money. I think they are around £600 new. You will find a lot of people will recommend them.

Buy cheep, buy twice.

As clakk said about the binoculars I couldn't agree more. I bought a pair of 10x50 for £40 about 4 years ago. Very good glass for the money. You would be looking at least £500 for as good glass if you bought new. Far better than £150 Hawke or Bushnell etc.

I only have 2 issues with mine, they are a bit heavier than the modern ones, but a harness sorts that out. And the eye piece are hard plastic or metal. Mine don't half make my eyes ache when its cold. I'm going to find a bit of rubber or duct tape to make a rim for mine.

• 1 month later...

Finally settled on a scope bought this one on Thursday:

http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-pst-6-24x50-with-ebr-1-moa-illuminated-reticle-112.aspx

Reviews look really good, was after the cheaper model for £332 but they didn't have it in stock so as a good will gesture let me have the one above for £430 with free postage!

Thanks for the advice guys can't wait to get out with it now!!

Finally settled on a scope bought this one on Thursday:

http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/viper-pst-6-24x50-with-ebr-1-moa-illuminated-reticle-112.aspx

Reviews look really good, was after the cheaper model for £332 but they didn't have it in stock so as a good will gesture let me have the one above for £430 with free postage!

Thanks for the advice guys can't wait to get out with it now!!

Nice choice I have the same model but x16 mag lovely and clear good mechanics and functions downside is it's a little heavy.