Roe deer prices

Hi guys,

I'm in charge of 300 acres of farmland on which I run a pheasant shoot. It has a very healthy population of roe deer.

I already have two qualified deer stalkers in position but I want to know how much do people get charged?

Do you get charged per deer you shoot or for the land as a whole?

Much appreciated, cheers for any feedback.

Really depends on numbers but say 30 roe per year could be in the region of £2000.

30 roe off 300 acres is really being very optimistic,granted some grounds can be more productive than others but even so. To the op it really depends what you want out of it has the ground been shot previous for deer?. when you say a healthy population are you looking at the numbers now or over the year, this time of year you will get deer grouping up but this will soon alter, if you have a number of small woods each will hold deer but you will find the young bucks getting knocked about shortly to leave the mature animals when crop cover gets up then you might have roe holing up in rape or large hedges.

lots of questions to be able to answer properly but the stalkers on there now are they commecial or shooting for fun?.

if you go in with a high amount of deer to be taken in the first year you might find you have none left for next and the stalkers move on. atb wayne

Good advice above, you really need to have some sort of long term management plan . You need to know what you have in numbers and of what sex. The last thing you want is for the deer to be hammered and the extra income for your shoot to be very short lived. Best and easiest solution is to let the stalking but put a cap on how many deer are taken per year, maybe 20% of estimate population with equal amount of does and bucks to start with. Revise the situation each year depend on increase/decrease of deer.

Game dealers pay around £1 - £1.20 per pound, with the average carcass going 30-35lb in weight (Mature adult bucks around 40lb), that is for the carcass (ie head and feet off, fully gutted, with windpipe, and **** fully removed).

If the land is a Pheasant shoot , you will want to put restrictions on stalker access in the pheasant season. The last thing you are going to want/need is stalkers trying to shoot deer around the coverts at last light in Dec & Jan, just as the pheasants are going to roost

• 2 weeks later...

I'm told that most forestry commission leases usually cost about £100 per deer, going by previous cull records.

I get £3/kg for Roe up here and have had them up to 23kg (£69).

The chap you had last year has probably had not far off £1500 of meat away for the 30 he shot.

Highland Game in Dundee, they pay £3/kg for carcases over 16kg, then £2.50 for smaller. I take any spare Does I have through the winter.

Peterborough Game come and collect all my bucks in the spring/summer, they pay £3/kg regardless of weight.

They send a van up the east coast once a week to collect from various places.

They've both been paying this for 2 or 3 years now.

Edited by M ROBSON