police visit

6shot

Got the visit plus a very strange talk on gun safety - I'm 60+ never shot anyone, never had a car accident (on a road anyway). Even asked me if my dad gave me a safety talk. Hard to keep a straight face - not helped by SWMBO chuckling away in the background.

Did you the birds and bees too

Didn't get a visit on renewal in Cheshire, cert came in the post with a letter saying the FLO will be in touch to arrange a visit or uniformed officers will drop in a some point.... Never got a visit!

Is that uniformed or uninformed officers (:

This made me chuckle as it reminded me of the time some spotty kid at Walmart felt the need to give a safety talk on the ammunition I was wanting to purchase. I asked him for his qualification on such matters if he felt the need to lecture ( and it was a lecturing tone). He at least had the sense to shut up.

• 6 months later...

as Beardo says ,just a phone call now

Just had my "phone call" he read through the form with me, asked a couple of questions, then told me he needs to pass it to the local neighbourhood policing team for them to come round!

Brilliant way to streamline the process!

Must admit that I would feel a bit uncomfortable if someone, other than my FEO with whom I'm familiar, phoned up and wanted to discuss my firearms and security in detail. I would need to ask some security questions of my own before discussing any details.

I agree, it would streamline things though.

Edited by KFC

Must admit that I would feel a bit uncomfortable if someone, other than my FEO with whom I'm familiar, phoned up and wanted to discuss my firearms and security in detail. I would need to ask some security questions of my own before discussing any details.

I agree, it would streamline things though.

It was another feo one I haven't met who rang but the random bobby to check cabinet I am not so keen on tbh.

all 3 visits have been by feo,s dont like the sound of a local police team visit .what firearms training ,what security knowledge do they have.like a lot of peeps on here im happy with my feo he,s a deer stalker himself and knows the score,letting a beat bobby who probably doesnt shoot or know diddly about firearms visit bit dubious about that idea.

I'm in Cheshire and an FAC holder and I have had a visit every renewal - quick and a check on the numbers but FEO.

I am very much in favour of the police leaving us alone as WE have the responsibility to keep the guns safe and that includes fixing the cabinet properly. Often its simply a change of FEO who wants to get to know and size-up his FAC hiolders.

If its a matter of trust and trying to catch us out then its pointless because its arranged. Each renewal we have to confirm ammo 'in safe' so that usage can be assessed but its never counted.

A little more trust would be a good thing, consistent with public safety. I know we are a safe group, probably the safest group in the population as a whole so why not use that to reduce costs. A ten year cert would be an awful lot better and the police could concentrate on 'spec' visits.

I would not like to be lectured by police or FEO's on gun safety - I've lived it for years they may never have fired a gun. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing as FEO's now seem to only know parts of the law whereas we have to know almost all of it, not to foul - up and lose the lot.

totally agree Kes ,been using centre fire since age 13 and ,looked after some serious kit in the green as have a lot of people on here.10 year cert and maybe a driving licence style fac.paper for recording and a plastic wallet sized permit to carry as proof out n about.and whilst we have background checks etc why cant Feo,s have a minimum qualification level.surely a man who has experience of firearms and the home office guidelines is better than semi-retired fred who,s doing it till he draws his or her pension?

dont like the sound of a local police team visit .what firearms training ,what security knowledge do they have.like a lot of peeps on here im happy with my feo he,s a deer stalker himself and knows the score,letting a beat bobby who probably doesnt shoot or know diddly about firearms visit bit dubious about that idea.

Totally agree !

My visit last year, 12mths after cert received, was rather amusing and a little worrying. FEO asked lots of silly stuff about safety eg do the shoots I'm involved in give safety talks? When I replied yes and no he got quite excited and wanted to know:

- why 'yes' - this was because we regularly had guests and there were club rules stacked towards safety

- why 'no' - this was be cause it was a bunch of guns who have shot together for many years and so far no one has died

He just couldn't understand why we didn't have a half hour talk on safety everytime. Even when I pointed out that he, as an ex-armed copper, when he took a gun out this was with a view to shooting someone but when I got my gun out I did it with the express intention of doing the opposite.

The next rather strange comment was 'when did I get my first gun?' - 51 years ago! 'Who bought it?' - my dad. 'Did he give me a talk on safety?' no he gave me a gun and told me to go kill a few starlings in the stack yard! By now SWMBO was audibly chuckling in the background.

I tried another tack - as a motorist of 40+ years standing with an impeccable record I was granted a licence with no renewal or intervention for some 50 years which, even if I kill a couple of people (by accident), will not involve any sort of renewal let alone safety talk. Over 2000 people are killed on our roads with many thousand other injured whereas the number of shooting incidents by legally licences 'guns' can probably be counted on the fingers of one had so why am I getting this lecture........ No response.