RSPCA and some MP's want to ban Shock Collars

TaxiDriver

When I first got it I put it on him quite a lot without it being turned on. He doesn't have any negative feelings towards it at all, in fact when we get to the shoot if I get the collar out he makes a point of coming directly to me and sitting down waiting for it to be put on.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that with mine when she needed it Tim she loved it going on as it meant a shoot day. Even though I only used it a handful of times hares and muntjac were too tempting at one point.

I'vea mate with a similar dog to yours and a few trainers have said the only way is to beat it out of the dog and be on top of it every minute and they are actually probably right. It works for itself unless he stays right on top of it most of us won't do that and the collar is a kinder method and keeps your dog from either a life on a lead all the time or from harm from road accidents etc

Yep. It's a solution to my earlier failings, but he's an absolutely fantastic dog in most other ways. Keeps me highly amused and is the most fantastic fishing dog I've ever seen. Absolutely obsessed by fishing and spend a whole day sitting, balanced on the edge wagging his tail furiously watching the end of the line back to me on each retrieve. When I'm fishing a canal people are always laughing at him, photographing him etc. They broke the mould with him all right. :lol:

Strangely, he sits in a pigeon hide all day without fuss or escapology sits on a peg fairly well as well, something my old dog couldn't do. The old one was constantly trying to creep through the net to be just that bit closer... :rolleyes:

Yep. It's a solution to my earlier failings, but he's an absolutely fantastic dog in most other ways. Keeps me highly amused and is the most fantastic fishing dog I've ever seen. Absolutely obsessed by fishing and spend a whole day sitting, balanced on the edge wagging his tail furiously watching the end of the line back to me on each retrieve. When I'm fishing a canal people are always laughing at him, photographing him etc. They broke the mould with him all right. :lol:

Strangely, he sits in a pigeon hide all day without fuss or escapology sits on a peg fairly well as well, something my old dog couldn't do. The old one was constantly trying to creep through the net to be just that bit closer... :rolleyes:

Did you hear the tale of Gordie and his old dog Tosh? Lets just say an argument for fully barbless :whistling:

Cant stand them and would never use one, had a chap beating on the shoot a few years ago who had one on his young dog, he walked one way, the dog walked the other so rather then call it he gave it a belt on the collar , I have never heard a dog yelp so loud before, when I got chance to have a word out of others earshot I told him if he ever did that again I would strap the collar around his balls and let him have a belt at full power, I do not recall him using it again.

Just my opinion of course.

cringe.

a few trainers have said the only way is to beat it out of the dog and be on top of it every minute and they are actually probably right.

If this is the way you think then I am sorry but you probably shouldn't keep dogs.

EDIT : And you should probably ask real trainers not cloth caps

Edited by 955i

If this is the way you think then I am sorry but you probably shouldn't keep dogs.

EDIT : And you should probably ask real trainers not cloth caps

I only think it's probably the only way to stay on top of a hot spaniel, didn't say I did or approved. From memory don't you have a sled dog you can't let off the lead............

I only think it's probably the only way to stay on top of a hot spaniel, didn't say I did or approved. From memory don't you have a sled dog you can't let off the lead............

One should maybe open their eyes and ears more? hundreds of spaniel lads have trained hundreds of hot dogs without them. Collars are a tool for a very limited job and I am sure we will loose them from the ignorance of many

There are many ways to train dogs ( depending on the dog) . Some dogs do need to have a certain amount of fear installed in them and some already have in them . I have man handled dogs when needed as have every trainer I know. But it's when people loose their temper and lash out at a dog through their own frustrations that I think it becomes cruel . The electric collar is a good training aid when it's needed but like most I would try everything I know before using it.

One should maybe open their eyes and ears more? hundreds of spaniel lads have trained hundreds of hot dogs without them. Collars are a tool for a very limited job and I am sure we will loose them from the ignorance of many

Read again a collar was never mentioned.

No, I don't.

I have a dog that is fine off the lead thanks :good:

Not really al4x, the way to train a hot spaniel is not to let the bad habits develop and keep it focused on you and hunting for you. Easiest dogs to train I have had are ch x ch.

But I have used a collar on one particularly hard headed spaniel who would chase anything. It remains a horrible dog to work, completely self obsessed and looking only to please itself at the first opportunity. The collar made it workable, and I'm sorry but for all the "train with love" brigade, until you've had a hell raising, hard headed dog you have no idea what you can be up against.

The collar is a tool which provides instant correction, used correctly they can turn a dog around; very few dogs need it if trained properly but for the one exceptional dog that needs it, it is an invaluable tool.

Not really al4x, the way to train a hot spaniel is not to let the bad habits develop and keep it focused on you and hunting for you. Easiest dogs to train I have had are ch x ch.

But I have used a collar on one particularly hard headed spaniel who would chase anything. It remains a horrible dog to work, completely self obsessed and looking only to please itself at the first opportunity. The collar made it workable, and I'm sorry but for all the "train with love" brigade, until you've had a hell raising, hard headed dog you have no idea what you can be up against.

The collar is a tool which provides instant correction, used correctly they can turn a dog around; very few dogs need it if trained properly but for the one exceptional dog that needs it, it is an invaluable tool.

Well said, my thoughts are such dogs will just be killed if the collar is lost to us. The debate might well be is that a bad thing when some people later go on to breed from such trained dogs

The debate might well be is that a bad thing when some people later go on to breed from such trained dogs

Now that's a fair point, we try to breed for hard hunting yet biddable dogs. The dog referred to is one of the hardest hunting I have or have had some of the finds picking up have been exceptional. Many people have asked if I will breed from her, I won't but not for that reason (she fits intermittently and I don't know what causes it but won't take the risk of passing on something genetic). If I was less scrupulous and bred with a hard going dog I would be selling the same again.

Move them on, most are ok pets as obedience levels are good on a pet scale.

Once sterilised IMO, if an experienced and capable trainer needs one then I do not see them as breeding stock. We owe the dogs of now to the breeders of yesteryear, we should therefore pass on better to the future generations. With the potential of 5k in a litter its too tempting to breed rubbish

In Wales I guess they'd use the BEEP function instead, both methods work. I also used a collar that sprayed a small amount of citronella scented water, but that wasn't very effective.

These are totally different to a e-collar. I seriously doubt you could persuade a block head sheep killer that sheep shouldn't be tangled with because they beep and squirt scented stuff