springer training

Googleplex

my son has an 11 month old springer spaniel he's trained to certain extent but unfortunately with my son working 12 hours a day he cannot take him out training properly does anybody have any advice on how to get this dog properly trained for retrieval excetra he is also quite shy dog and loud bangs excetra making really nervous any advice greatly appreciated.

Dogs and clay grounds don't mix, especially ones already nervy. The dog must associate the bang with good things and YOU MUST be in full control of when and how often those bangs occur. My opinion and it sounds harsh is working 12 hrs a day means you aint going to achieve much, send it away for pro training or find it a new home (I said it was harsh but that's how I see it)

My es is just turned 1 year old, the advise I got was to make random banging noises like clatering shoes and dog bowls together to make loud banging noise. But I was doing that from when I got her last April, banging the food bowls might be good as it will accociat the loud bang with something good. I even used to bang things even when she slept, and the first time under gun I must admit I was quite nervous.

The dog and I was 50 yards away from gun my mate shot the gun in the air, and she never flickered, same for 30 yards, same for under the gun.

good luck!

As luck would have it we got to take him out yesterday on the land, We startd with a distant gu and not a flicker so we came closer my son had the dog and I had the gun , we got to aabout 10 meters apart and still nothing so we stood together and again nothing, I couldn't believe it, and yet at home if you approach him it puddle time on the floor, but we were over the mon that he didn't **** himself an dissappear over the horizon. So I suppose were half way there.

Clay ground with a couple of raw juicy meaty bones in the back, she'll soon ignor the bangs. Try Cap gun starter pistol, from a distance before meal times the gun will signal dinner, then work your way up starter pistol, dummy, starter pistol closer and closer. starter pistol as she walks by your side, bang, sit. eventually trained to drop to shot.

little at a time, always ***** your dogs reactions and try to think / plan out things that can incorperate the gun so they become comon place and to signal something is going to happen or something is required of the dog.

googleplex,

clay grounds and dogs does work,,i see it every week with trainers(pro dog trainers) taking everything from sprockers to labs up and down the clay ground at N.W.S.S .

I even took my spaniel up to the clay ground when he was six months old, I sat with him on the edge of the back of the van and let him listen to the bangs he sat there and did not flicker an eyelid,

once I could see he was fine with the bangs I put his lead on and gradually got closer to the first traps, then when he was fine with that I walked him through the whole clay ground on his lead,

after a couple of trips up and down the clay ground I eventually took him off the lead and made him walk to heel which he did fine and enjoyed,

take your time and don't rush the dog, mine is now 10 1/2 months old and has already done a couple of proper retrieves and he is coming on great, I even got told not to do that as it will damage his ears,

all dogs are different mate , do what suits yours,, and what keeps him happy but make sure you mix his training with play, don't listern to all the ARMCHAIR dog owners and ARMCHAIR shooters on here who jump down your throat and tell you everything you do is wrong,

just do what is best for YOUR DOG, if hes ready at 12months then hes ready,,if hes ready at 24 months then hes ready there is NO timescale as to when hes ready ,,only you will know that

good luck with the dog and another little tip is read a couple of gundog training books as they help but I have noticed every author thinks their way is best like on here

all the best Evo

Edited by evo

kent,,as said not all dogs are the same,,we have 2 sprockers that work very well picking up on our beat and they where both 11 months old and being trained by a dog handler/trainer,

your theory is not correct with all dogs and that includes mine

An awful lot of focus on gun shyness on a thread where the OP has now said a gun has been fired next to the dog with no ill effects.

To the OP, how is the dogs retrieving, since this was one of the things you asked originally?

kent,,as said not all dogs are the same,,we have 2 sprockers that work very well picking up on our beat and they where both 11 months old and being trained by a dog handler/trainer,

your theory is not correct with all dogs and that includes mine

point is all about your testing not conditioning it to accept the gunfire.

Must admit i think u are very lucky the gunshots went so well, with a nervy dog i would not have advised wot u have done walking in to shoot over its head on first outing. It worked this time next time may easily make a nervous dog 'shy' where u will ahve real problems.

As for the clay ground, i have never took a dog to 1 and wouldn't advise it either but each to their own. If done carefully and u know wot ur wanting achieve. But really can't see the point in making an older dog sit while countless shots are let off very near it. Yet see that quite often

But i also know folk who have gundogs for years and just bring them out and shoot over them with no gentle intro, yes it may work for some dogs but won't for others, i know 1 keeper who takes his 5 month old spaniels out picking up, have minimal training if any and they just learn on the job. I would strongly advise no one to do it but he has been doing this for years

A lot of folk worl 12hr shifts and still own gundogs, my advice would be to try and join a gundog club and get some 1-1 training lessons of a good trainer so u are working smarter. If u know wot ur doing its surprising how a few carefully planned exercises/drills can really bring ur dog on rather than a longer hap hazzard/ make it up as u go along approach