No beans, no peas, no shooting.

JDog

I spoke to the farm manager on one of my estates yesterday and he told me that he was not drilling any beans this year. This was a blow as I had some success on beans there last year including several days over 200.

Half an hour later I met an adjoining farmer who was out following the hunt and he told me that he was not growing any peas this year. This was a farm where I had had something more than modest success on peas for five years running.

I am now in the doldrums as a result of this news. PW members should therefore look forward in eager anticipation to my posts reporting my spring drilling scores over the next few weeks which will be something of the order of 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 and 2.

Don't dispare JDog, we have shot some pigeons on drilled barley this week most of which was decoyed off a return flightline. There crops were full of clover and various other grassland seeds. there still not bothered about the barley.

last year we looked forward to pea drillings and was mega dissapointed as the birds showed little intrest.

Get them bino's out and start scanning them grass paddocks :good:

Shame , I am in a similar position with rape this year with only one field between three farms.

I will have between 6-8 pea fields though and around 60 acres of beans that were winter drilled.

I am sure you will still find some opportunitys for a good bag.

I spoke to the farm manager on one of my estates yesterday and he told me that he was not drilling any beans this year. This was a blow as I had some success on beans there last year including several days over 200.

Half an hour later I met an adjoining farmer who was out following the hunt and he told me that he was not growing any peas this year. This was a farm where I had had something more than modest success on peas for five years running.

I am now in the doldrums as a result of this news. PW members should therefore look forward in eager anticipation to my posts reporting my spring drilling scores over the next few weeks which will be something of the order of 0, 0, 1, 0, 0 and 2.

In recent years peas and beans have been something of a disappointment. The modern machines drill them rather too well, deep in the ground and few left on the surface. Pigeons do seem to still like peas when they are just showing above ground and also when they are in flower. But they are not suicidal on them. I did have 1 good day last year on pea stubble, there were almost no peas left behind the combine but the pigeons, who had got used to feeding on the crop where it was a bit laid, didn't know this, and came to my decoys well. It got ploughed the next day.

The next 2 fields also had few peas left behind, over the next month a few birds built up on them, enough for a bag but not a bonaza. Bean stubble can still work, if left unploughed for a while.

At least, that is what I have found, in my area, in recent years!!

Good luck JD, I'm sure you will find something, somewhere.

Similar situation here regarding the lack of beans, my permissions used to grow hundreds of acres of the stuff but it's no longer lucrative to grow them unfortunately, with just a few grown mainly for cattle feed here.....a farm that hasn't grown peas for years late drilled some last year and we had some fantastic sport on them over drilling and again on the stubble but a 'guide' managed to bag the best fields with 4 or 5 guns out :( Growing some again this year so fingers crossed, everyone and their dog will be looking on them though!!

Keep your eyes out on drilled corn though, especially if there's some lumpy old ground on any of your farms ;)

I looked enviously at some land in Kent, for years. It was covered in pigeons every year when I walked my dogs over it. I finally managed to get permission the year before I was due to move to the other side of the country, but looked forward to a bumper season on it. The farmer sowed linseed for the first time ever and I didn't have a single good day on it.

I looked enviously at some land in Kent, for years. It was covered in pigeons every year when I walked my dogs over it. I finally managed to get permission the year before I was due to move to the other side of the country, but looked forward to a bumper season on it. The farmer sowed linseed for the first time ever and I didn't have a single good day on it.

Linseed is supposed to be good, I don't know, we don't have any on my stuff, but it's supposed to be good!! (shows how opinions/experiences/areas can change the game)

They will be soon on the buds and lost to all of us except those who have extensive beech woods . They will then turn to the clover fields that have been kept short and fertilised by the sheep. The spring drillings are so efficient these days none is left for the birds they then will be looking for spring rape. JDog you will still be able to find them around just keep looking.

dont dispare i have 200 acres of rape, and not had one shot over it this winter.

Isn't it odd, we've 400 acre of rape in this year, and we've shot well, nothing on the barley or wheat, lots of rabbits though.

We have spring beans going in soon for the first time I've been involved with the farm, be intereting to see what happens.

Edited by kyska

Well Kichrat .linseed is not brilliant weve had it for a few years now and you have a few good early days when its first put in then when it shoots and just before harvest. Theres no certainty with this crop u really take pot luck on whether its any good. I feel the pigeons just go to it for moisture and a change of grub and purely as its a short crop with easy pickings

We also have Peas going in this year for the first time in 30 years so am also hoping this proves fruitful.....

Edited by blasterjudd

Sorry I missed my reply

I WAS going to say, at least your scores are going up !

Waiting for the peas myself