Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

henry d

I have a Toller which have a bit of Chessie in them and I can certainly relate to the headstrong temprement which used to be a battle when she was younger :yes:

Azzurri, where'd you get that odd bit of info, from an Italian translation? Them's fightin' words for a toller owner - your libel, er confusion may stem from the fact that Chessies were known early on as "the tolling dog" by market hunters in their native waters off Maryland. Actually, Chessie blood's a dirty little secret in tollers - Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers - as they're predominantly goldie and farm collie, with a sprinkling of the odd spaniel gene thrown into the mix.

Noble1.jpg

So for the sake of not impugning a lovely little Canadian breed,

08Violet10-8.jpg

...please (please) keep the toller's very (very) distant Chessie lineage under wraps as best you can... :ninja:

MG

Edited by cracker

Azzurri, where'd you get that odd bit of info, from an Italian translation? Them's fightin' words for a toller owner - your libel, er confusion may stem from the fact that Chessies were known early on as "the tolling dog" by market hunters in their native waters off Maryland. Actually, Chessie blood's a dirty little secret in tollers - Nova Scotia duck tolling retrievers - as they're predominantly goldie and farm collie, with a sprinkling of the odd spaniel gene thrown into the mix.

Noble1.jpg

So for the sake of not impugning a lovely little Canadian breed,

08Violet10-8.jpg

...please (please) keep the toller's very (very) distant Chessie lineage under wraps as best you can... :ninja:

MG

Haha great post Cracker and I love those pics, great looking dog, much more tollerable than it's riotous (very) distant cousin :whistling:

Azzurri.

It may have been about standing out when I first thought about a ches, however I could stick with a spaniel and stand out, but they are not happy sitting still in the cold and wet. At the moment I need a dog for retrieving mainly with a few days beating and possible follow up of deer. I used to need a dog that did 30+ days beating through the season and some retrieving work and the possible follow up, and a spaniel covered all that with ease. Docking ban and a change of circumstances changed that.

If I get a ches I could have problems with a dog who is used to range when out shooting and this is not good in a beating line and add the chessie trait to be headstrong and I really do not fancy having to leg it around after a dog who is used to ranging but does not realise I do not want it to do that when beating.

A lab will do for that I just need to ensure it is a more heavily set bitch than most I see (if at all possible).

Thanks for all input guys :good:

I have always fancied trying one, but with the aggression issues, the lack of working blood lines in the UK.

Also the price they ask for them, you can buy two labs for the price of a good one.

I think I will be stinking with my Labs.

Labs don't stink, Chessies do. :lol:

But more to the point, AP, you could always import, as some of us do with Labs from the UK. 'Cause on this side, it's the "flipside" insofar as pricing: You can buy two Chessies for the price of a good (actually, good-pedigreed) Lab. Very reasonable price for a Chessie (if you like them sort of things) and hasn't really budged in nigh on 20 years. On this side.

Now the "mini-Chessies" a/k/a Boykins

Cracker-WhenTheGoosinsGood-March06.jpg

have gone up in price 5-6 fold since the KC gave them recognition five years or so ago - and somehow are twice the price though less than half the dog, physically, of a Chessie. Then again, Boykins don't stink, either... :ninja:

MG

Supply and demand, keep supply under the level of demand and prices rise. Surprised by the lab / Chesapeake divide your side Cracker none the less, is that because more of the labs are pet lines?

When I'm talking "good" Lab pedigree, Kent, I mean really good FTCh pedigrees - and as US Labs dominate US FTs, the pricing is sort of on a sliding scale vis-a-vis the pedigree. For example, a typical FTCh x FTCh breeding will produce $4000 puppies. That said, insofar as supply and demand, a "good" pedigree sprinkled with FTChs, but maybe a generation or two removed, can be had at a "bargain" at approximately at the same cost as a Chessie pup. These Labs also have all the health clearances of the parents andalso carry health guarantees of their own for 24-36 months. Can't do a whole lot better than that @£600 equivalent or so - and that's generally where I do my shopping for FT "underdogs." If you really want to talk underdogs in US trials, my last British Lab cost half that again.

MG

Labs don't stink, Chessies do. :lol:

But more to the point, AP, you could always import, as some of us do with Labs from the UK. 'Cause on this side, it's the "flipside" insofar as pricing: You can buy two Chessies for the price of a good (actually, good-pedigreed) Lab. Very reasonable price for a Chessie (if you like them sort of things) and hasn't really budged in nigh on 20 years. On this side.

Now the "mini-Chessies" a/k/a Boykins

Cracker-WhenTheGoosinsGood-March06.jpg

have gone up in price 5-6 fold since the KC gave them recognition five years or so ago - and somehow are twice the price though less than half the dog, physically, of a Chessie. Then again, Boykins don't stink, either... :ninja:

MG

That should of read, I think I will be sticking with my Labs... :lol:

I have three generation myself, as well as a few friends around me work pups/adults from my bitches.

Lovely to see dogs working well for other people that you have bred :)

Edited by Actionpigeons

When I'm talking "good" Lab pedigree, Kent, I mean really good FTCh pedigrees - and as US Labs dominate US FTs, the pricing is sort of on a sliding scale vis-a-vis the pedigree. For example, a typical FTCh x FTCh breeding will produce $4000 puppies. That said, insofar as supply and demand, a "good" pedigree sprinkled with FTChs, but maybe a generation or two removed, can be had at a "bargain" at approximately at the same cost as a Chessie pup. These Labs also have all the health clearances of the parents andalso carry health guarantees of their own for 24-36 months. Can't do a whole lot better than that @£600 equivalent or so - and that's generally where I do my shopping for FT "underdogs." If you really want to talk underdogs in US trials, my last British Lab cost half that again.

MG

So basically you were comparing top line expensive comp bred lab pups with cheap Chesapeakes in the hands of hunters. No kidding you pay more, you want too look at what your mob pay for our sheepdogs. I don't get "dog-sport" so your talking to the wrong chap