problem with neighbours dog

thegazbo

I've heard this before, if you can, pick your dog up when it's been attacked and if the attacking dog continues and jumps up at you to get at your dog or even better goes for you then it's definitely an offence. Get the camera phone out every time you're out as well.

Jif squeezy lemon is handy for this sort of thing and perfect pocket size, when it gets too close or is menacing a good blast will be enough to stop it momentarily and divert it's attention to see if you can get control of the situation. It wont do any lasting harm so you don't end up in bother with the law.

Definitely file a report with the police and insist on a getting a record of this. Write to the council dog warden service too, make sure you have a written record of everything so you have something you can point back to.

Does the dog just snap or does it try to grip and keep hold?

Dalmatians can be a really weird breed, some are nice but some are just completely mental and wired up wrongly, there are 3 of them in my neighbourhood and 2 of them are just a waste of a good skin, they hiss and spit and are generally unpleasant dogs and can never be let off the lead, the other one is a great dog.

The Animals Act 1971 covers liability for damage done by animals as per below.

Liability for damage done by dangerous animals.

(1)Where any damage is caused by an animal which belongs to a dangerous species, any person who is a keeper of the animal is liable for the damage, except as otherwise provided by this Act.

(2)Where damage is caused by an animal which does not belong to a dangerous species, a keeper of the animal is liable for the damage, except as otherwise provided by this Act, if—

(a)the damage is of a kind which the animal, unless restrained, was likely to cause or which, if caused by the animal, was likely to be severe; and

(the likelihood of the damage or of its being severe was due to characteristics of the animal which are not normally found in animals of the same species or are not normally so found except at particular times or in particular circumstances; and

©those characteristics were known to that keeper or were at any time known to a person who at that time had charge of the animal as that keeper’s servant or, where that keeper is the head of a household, were known to another keeper of the animal who is a member of that household and under the age of sixteen.

Unfortunately civil action cannot be taken until damage has been caused, however make an attempt to prove your neighbor had previous knowledge that the dog was aggressive and you may have a case (sadly only once damage has been caused)

Edited by studley

Jif squeezy lemon is handy for this sort of thing and perfect pocket size, when it gets too close or is menacing a good blast will be enough to stop it momentarily and divert it's attention to see if you can get control of the situation. It wont do any lasting harm so you don't end up in bother with the law.

Definitely file a report with the police and insist on a getting a record of this. Write to the council dog warden service too, make sure you have a written record of everything so you have something you can point back to.

Dalmatians can be a really weird breed, some are nice but some are just completely mental and wired up wrongly, there are 3 of them in my neighbourhood and 2 of them are just a waste of a good skin, they hiss and spit and are generally unpleasant dogs and can never be let off the lead, the other one is a great dog.

the dog bites 2 or 3 times then runs off, it will then turn around and try again.

but it will only attack from the back.

I've just got home from walking the dog and he was out for a fight but because there was to many witnesses he disappeared off, but everyone is sick of it and I have told them all to start reporting it.

the next time he does it, which by the sound of things he will, demand his insurance details for his dog.

im guessing he probably has none, so let him know that you will be taking the dog to the vet and taking him to small claims court to cover the cost of it all.

dont forget to mention that you will also be claiming for the loss of earnings that you will incur for having to take the time to do it (up to £90 a day), all of the court fees (anywhere from £85 to £500) and to cover the cost of the dog being mentally traumatised by the ordeal and now being a shivering mess and not wanting to go out.

follow that up with a small claims court case (in a case like this it shouldnt cost you anymore than £30, a small price to pay for peace of mind IMHO), but offer him an alternative of him putting a muzzle on his dog instead of you continuing with any court proceedings (get it in writing)

My neighbour did this to a guy who lives on the housing estate up the road from us last year. its funny how when people realise that its going to start costing them a ridiculous amount of money, they start to see a little clearer.

It's probably only a matter of time till it bites a human. I know my nan had a similar problem with a dog attacking her dog.....the last time the dog went for it, she tried to pick up/seperate her dog and got badly bitten......My nan having a love for dogs requested that it wasn't destroyed, but it is now always seen with a muzzle on.

Radio 4 have just this second finished a very interesting debate on this very problem, bloke with your type of issue tried everything council, police, RSPCA, until the next door neighbours dog eventually broke through his fence, with his children in the garden, he ended up stabbing it multiple times with a garden fork, what a sad conclusion for all involved.

Have a look on the listen again.

Its not the dogs fault as he may not know any better if the owner is not bothered training him in any way

Has the Dalmatian been aggressive by barking and rushing in and snapping or has it actually bitten your dog or others.

I would take a copy of the laws regarding dog behaviour in a public place and give it to your neighbour along with a letter to him stating if you don’t keep it under control you will take the matter further. Otherwise I agree with the posts with the version of a `dog pepper spray` of sorts being used.

Although I know it does not make things any better if you are feeling a little intimidated and any children that you may have taking your own dog out for a walk.

the dog bites 2 or 3 times then runs off, it will then turn around and try again.

but it will only attack from the back.

I've just got home from walking the dog and he was out for a fight but because there was to many witnesses he disappeared off, but everyone is sick of it and I have told them all to start reporting it.

Try the lemon juice trick, it may be enough to distract the dog for just long enough for you and your dog to walk away. A good squeeze of the jif lemon will squirt a decent distance where using a deodorant means you, and your dog, have to get really close to be effective.

I'd hazard a guess that they are actually black and white cats. :)