Looking for a first dog.

demonwolf444

Wise choice of dog and breeding by the sounds of it. I feel there is a great amount to be said for a solid working line on the mums side for not creating too hot a hunting dog, too much red writing can be a hindrance to the average shooting bloke IMO. Hope it goes well for you, sure it will

As the guy who's bitch has whelped lives in the next village i can see the dogs whenever i like pretty much, and the owners are open to me coming to see them. I know she whelped yesterday. There are three bitches in the litter to choose from a healthy litter of nine, when i go and see them is there anything i could/should be looking out for, furthermore when would be the best time to pick one out.. and any tips on what i should be looking for then.. cheers guys.. fish out of water a bit!

As the guy who's bitch has whelped lives in the next village i can see the dogs whenever i like pretty much, and the owners are open to me coming to see them. I know she whelped yesterday. There are three bitches in the litter to choose from a healthy litter of nine, when i go and see them is there anything i could/should be looking out for, furthermore when would be the best time to pick one out.. and any tips on what i should be looking for then.. cheers guys.. fish out of water a bit!

Keep going to see them often you may be drawn to a particular pup for one reason or another. If you look on breezeleaf spaniels Web site, there is quite a good write up on how to pick a pup, looking at characteristics of dominant or submissive pups. Well worth a read.

The things to look for are before you even go, look at pedigrees and then ask the reason for breeding and why he chose the stud dog. The ideal is he bred from the dog so he could keep a pup rather than breeding for the £££ I'm not sure what health checks are applicable but find out and see whether they were done. Then see the bitch and whether you like the look of her and ideally the stud dog. After that the earliest its worth looking at pups is at 4 weeks and you will see which are the most alert and are doing best. If they are docked then they will have had an early vet check which will have highlighted hernias etc but otherwise make sure they are given the once over before you pay and collect. After that there is no science but why the better bred they are the more likely you are to get the pup you want

Been to see the pups today and picked one out an paid my deposit. Saw the mother and the pedigree of the father and all the documents, father was chosen for his temperament and train-ability, and good blood lines which i guess are good enough reasons as any . Happens that the person who's dog it is i have been shooting with before, just did not recognize his name, i have seen the mother working and she was good so far as my memory serves, I can go and see them whenever i like, the pups are docked not really short just a bit off the end which is my preference anyhow, KC reg and dew clawed.

Choosing one was really difficult, so just went with the one i liked, seemed good and strong, and were no obvious runts in the litter anyway. The owners are pleased that they know at least one of the pups is staying local and will be out on shoots they know of so yeh all good things. I'll upload a picture when i can.

Cheers guys. If anyone has any training books or surpluss to req, dog crates or anything let me know, as i may be interested. James.

• 2 weeks later...