External wall insulation grant yes or no?

johnnythefox70

Im thinking of having it done on the government grant scheme but some one told me dont do it because it can affect your house price (ie reduce the price of your house!) what i want to know is whats the pros n cons of this insulation?

Forgot to add my house is solid wall no cavity and has the very nice victorian red bricks so am a bit unsure if it will spoil the aesthetics of the building and once its started theres no going back.

Edited by johnnythefox70

I was reading on the net the other day about this subject, Cavity Wall Insulation..

There are loads of houses out there at the minute having their walls opened up to get it out.

It is very expensive as they have to break it up and sort of Hoover it out, the damp is affecting the whole house, the brickwork has to be opened up, its solid, So you cannot just suck it out the hole it went into, oh Lor.

Fixing is easy if you know how. Get some threaded bar, drill a hole, fill with resin, push bar into hole, leave until the resin goes off and then bolt what ever you're trying to fix onto the wall.

thats all well and good if you have some knocking around and not on a bounus system of payment and have a given time to fix a 500 w halogen flood light, and what a mess you will get if your house goes up in flame all that toxic stuff given off, must be firemans nightmare

If it is solid walls why does it need to be external?

We are having ours done GRATIS through local council/SSE as our house is timber frame and cavity fill is not a viable option.

If it was me, in theory I'd sooner have it applied internally. In reality its more tricky. You can only insulate up to internal dividing walls that abut the exterior which leaves a potential cold bridge and there's the sheer logistical hassle of removing and reinstating fixtures, fittings and electricals, especially in the kitchen and bathroom. Externally is far easier. I wouldn't trust the job to low cost jobbing chancers though. Any surface treatment or coating applied to the outside of a building must either be fully breathable or fully weather proof. If its impermeable and water gets past it, it will hold that water next to the masonry and prevent evaporation causing damp problems. It happens all the time on solid wall buildings which have been rendered with unsuitable lime free cement render. Its too brittle so it cracks, water gets through and lies against the masonry and festers.

I live in a 250 year old farmhouse, solid walls, no insulation of any sort, no central heating, only an oil burning rayburn and a woodburner fire. No grants available because neither of us are on benefits :( . If you can get it done, I'd say go ahead.

I looked it up and find that as I use oil to heat my place I am not entitled to the full grant but if I was on gas or electric then I could get it what is the logic in that.

Technically we heat with electric as we have storage heaters, though they only really provide background heat. The woodburner is what really heats the place. Still not entitled to any grants. Annoying when you see people with quite modern houses getting it. Will cost me a lot over the years to bring this place up to a better standard but will never be a modern house. Still love it though. Thankfully we have some woodland so fuel is cheap.