Is clay shooting a help or hinderance ??

dead-eye-dick

Do you think shooting at clays is a help or a hinderance when shooting live quarry ??  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think shooting at clays is a help or a hinderance when shooting live quarry ??

• Good practice for the real thing
    • Makes no real diffrence
    • So diffrent that it takes a few shoots to get back into it.

I shoot clays about once a week. Yesterday I had a mornings pheasent shooting, I noticed a significant improvement, hitting a woodcock, a very high pigeon and a few L&Rs on one drive. I was in the pound seat but still, I was shooting very well, undoubtedly next time i shoot i wond hit anything!

I have some duck flighting next week so I will tell you what happens!

:lol: I find that after a clay shoot my pigeon shooting often takes time to get back into and likewise i find it hard to hit clays after weeks of pigeon shooting.

I think clays are a good thing to learn basic shooting techniques on but find them to be detrimental to my everyday shooting ie pigeons.

:yp:

I think it lulls you into a false sence of security, you get to know the way a clay flys and looks.

When you get onto the field you kind-of feel confidant that you know just how much lead to give and how far away the target is, I for one, seem to be away behind, until I swallow my pride and adjust my shooting.

:lol: :yp: :lol:

I find that game (and pigeons), usually require less lead than most Sporting Clays, and that too much live quarry shooting will take the edge off my scores.

Thats why most of my pigeon shooting is outside of the main clay shooting summer season - it's great fun shooting woodies in freezing weather but not so clays, where every missed bird dents your average...!!!

I think it makes you feel confident with the gun, but its not a substitute for the "real thing".

Good Sporting layouts should vary direction and speed, to assimilate live quarry shooting, but most don,t.

I don,t think it can turn you into, a good live quarry shooter.

It should give you the experience and technique, to adjust your lead to the target , but only more "live" experience will really improve your shooting.

I shoot skeet, and sporting at least once a week, and use about 4 clubs so as to vary the sporting layouts, I pigeon shoot about twice a week and my best skeet scores seem to be if I shoot the day after pigeon shooting, clays are great for practice, but there is no substitute for the real thing and the unpredictability offered,

I also use a different gun for clays and pigeon,

cheers Kdubya

For a beginner to shooting, clays should be shot only and you should get tuiton. I was shooting clays and after about half a dozen lessons your man said i should try out for some teams - this guy used to be a pro clay pigeon shooter. I chose not to, but I kept up the lessons for a bit longer. Amazingly now though I have not actually shot clays for 4 years.

For me (many of you will disagree I suppose?) but the knowledge I gained in these lessons the technique etc.. means that even now 8 years on from my first clay lessons I still shoot pretty damn well. To be honest I was worried that my shooting would not have held up, sure I could shoot pigeons and walked up pheasants, but recently when I got an invite to a driven shoot :yp: :o I was dead nervous!! Shooting the first bird with my first shot I guess did wonders for my confidence, if I had missed it who knows maybe I wouldn't have shot so well. But I ended up the day with 7 left and rights, and the picker up was well chuffed with retrieving all the birds. The shooting that day was of a high standard - 2.85 carts per pheasant, but I did better than that and I am sure that of the total bag which was 300 with 9 guns shooting I must have shot about 50. Its true I did have some good pegs but for 80 cartridges, you can't complain at my ratio!!!

Now I just have to work on getting another invite :lol::lol::lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Shot pigeons with a former FITASC and English sporting champion, without doubt he's the best pigeon shot I have seen. He rarely misses any pigeon within 65 yard and absolutely stones every bird.

He is convinced that clay shooting and pigeon shooting certainly benefit each other, although in many ways they differ, I have to agree.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is mental application when pigeon shooting, this I feel is where clay shooters do well, especially towards the end of a long hot or cold day when the wheels often come off due to lack of physical and mental stamina.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is mental application when pigeon shooting, this I feel is where clay shooters do well, especially towards the end of a long hot or cold day when the wheels often come off due to lack of physical and mental stamina.

A good post that supergame especially the last point. Makes a lot of sense that.

:/