New Ford transit custom

sheene7

Does anybody own / driven one of the new transit customs ? My T5 transporter is due for changing in september , and I was looking at the new Ford as a possible replacement , they look similar in size to the VW and the adverts say they can do 42 mpg , I spoke to the local dealers this morning about having a demonstrator for a few days , but they will only take you out in it for an hour or so , I don't think you can get a good feel for the vehicle just driving about 30 miles. :/

So it would be good to hear from somebody who uses one daily .

I have just been given one as a new replacement works van, biggest pile of **** going, I hate it

its made to look good, but its cheap

silly things annoy me about it, the ignition does not light up at night, so struggle to get key in

and it needs to go in just right

interior light is naff if you need to do paperwork in van (which I do)

the clocks light up bright on their own, which has made me forget to turn the lights on quite a few times

it rattles like anything from the rear inside bit

no CD player, but a mini CD player, who ****** owns mini disc's, not me......

as a work van, not many cubby holes to put stuff, radio controls on steering wheel are naff

I'll add more if you want

stubby I must concur. a friend bought one from new six months ago and it's been nothing but trouble. the dealers have the van longer that they say and when it comes back faults still there.

the trouble is being a s/e chippy it's essential to have a van. dealer supplies a courtesy car only so he has to borrow or rent. I suggested changing dealer, but he is giving it one last go then

if the problems are still there he's returning it to ford as as unmerchantable quality. (that should be fun).

I have just been given one as a new replacement works van, biggest pile of **** going, I hate it

its made to look good, but its cheap

silly things annoy me about it, the ignition does not light up at night, so struggle to get key in

and it needs to go in just right

interior light is naff if you need to do paperwork in van (which I do)

the clocks light up bright on their own, which has made me forget to turn the lights on quite a few times

it rattles like anything from the rear inside bit

no CD player, but a mini CD player, who ****** owns mini disc's, not me......

as a work van, not many cubby holes to put stuff, radio controls on steering wheel are naff

I'll add more if you want

The more info the better , cheers !

I've not driven a Ford for years , as I always found them a bit heavy on fuel , but this new Transit caught my eye with the styling and alleged fuel economy , your experiences are putting me off though . Like I say , you can't beat hearing from people who use them everyday, be it good , bad or indifferent .

Thanks for the feedback so far :good:

VW every time for me Mr Sheen :good: i drive a new tranny for work and my Gaffer even said who bought it that it aint worth a round drinks!!!! :rolleyes: Like Stubby said they are pants everything rattles theres no storage compartments the one i drive is a 13 plate and sadly stuck with for another 2 years Roll on 2016 :lol:

I have had transit tippers van and connects for the last twenty years and to be honest i wouldn't change for anything we have tried all sorts of others and come back to transits for me they are the best vans on the road. The one i drive every day has aircon con heated seats and all the other bells and whistles

Got one on its way April. They are Lease hired so go back if it breaks, have them 3 years.

We have 3 nv200 in the fleet and have had nothing but trouble with them!!! All 3 have been back to Nissan more than once, but it's like anything you can get a good one or a bad fri afternoon one lol

In a 2011 dispatch ATM and it's been a good van but on the whole I would not buy a French car / van personally.

I've leased a fair few to customers, they seem to be well received. The fuel Economy on the econetic model is much better- this is coming from a business who used to run older 280 swb

They drive very well, plus to under seat storage is good - gives internal storage of 3mtr in a swb van.

Thanks for the replies ! Think I will give the transit a swerve :yes: Might have a look at the VW Amarok instead .

I have a SWB 2013 Transit (the previous model to this new one) and its been bullet proof in the 36,000 i've already done.It has plenty of space in the back,very comfortable to drive and averages around 33mpg.It came with heated front screen,air conditioning,6 speed gearbox and electronic stability program.

Its only real negative point is that although it returns good mpg for a 2.5t van-this is at a cost...its painfully slow even when you press the warp button*.Im utterly convinced Ford bolted a small travel hair drier onto the engine rather than a turbocharger.

*The warp button is actually labeled 'Eco' by Ford and when switched on the van is restricted to 68mph and also wont pull the skin off a rice pudding.

I have owned the previous transit for three years now and I went for the 140bhp because of my previous 85bhp was rubbish and now it's fully loaded with kit it's a lot better not perfect but better and returning a average of 38mpg around town. I was toying with the idea of changing it for the custom and rang my mate at ford and he said don't bother stick with my transit it's much better or go for a vw transporter if you can afford it. So I have stayed with my transit for now

VW doing £500 plus vat deposit contribution and the money at 1.1%.I would have gone for the transit custom if it came in an auto.

20140226_123740_zps319cb854.jpg

20140302_150341_zpsca2bd7cc.jpg

That looks nice ! Is that 1.1% on a lease deal or purchase ? The van I have now has been on contract hire through VW , but the boss wants to purchase our next vans so trying to find the best finance package as well.

Hi ya I own a self drive hire company and have the full range of new Eco transits and these vans get abused daily, never had a problem with any of them, tried over the years using other makes but always come back to transits, all vans have their likes and dislikes by many drivers but overall I have found value for money the transits are the best. Why don't you try hireling one for a couple of days this would be the best test you could have. Good luck