Pigeons veering away tips

Charlie_79

Hi everyone just a quick question, I was out pigeon shooting today and I couldn't seem to stop the pigeons veering away from the pattern at the last minute ?, I know that some of it could be down to the fact that they were just not interested but I just wanted to know if anyone has any little tips or secrets they would like to reveal.

My setup was very simple today it was a horseshoe of full bodies (aprox 15 -20) with a bouncer at the open end of the "U" I tried moving the bouncer around but it didn't do much.

I made sure the "U" was very wide to try and draw the birds in.

I was thinking about adding say 3 bouncers/floaters and setting them back a good 50yards back from the opening of the "U" one on each side and one in the middle

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I set my hide up in front of a very big oak tree and was fully loaded with camo, the only thing I can think of is tht my hide net is a bit too see through for my liking, I'm on the look out for another or at the moment,

Because it is a little see through they might have seen bits of my carrying equipment etc

They didn't like the look of something, could have been your flask in the hide to one of your pigeons looking undesirable at the last minute..

Did you move at all before they deviated ???

I didn't realise pigeons are scared of flasks.

Hi everyone just a quick question, I was out pigeon shooting today and I couldn't seem to stop the pigeons veering away from the pattern at the last minute ?, I know that some of it could be down to the fact that they were just not interested but I just wanted to know if anyone has any little tips or secrets they would like to reveal.

My setup was very simple today it was a horseshoe of full bodies (aprox 15 -20) with a bouncer at the open end of the "U" I tried moving the bouncer around but it didn't do much.

I was thinking about adding say 3 bouncers/floaters and setting them back a good 50yards back from the opening of the "U" one on each side and one in the middle

Sometimes, no matter what you do, pigeons will veer away from a setup at the last minute. It may be instinct telling them that something is not quite right. I have pigeons do this sometimes in my pattern, but sometimes it's too late for them and they're in range.

Sometimes, no matter what you do, pigeons will veer away from a setup at the last minute. It may be instinct telling them that something is not quite right. I have pigeons do this sometimes in my pattern, but sometimes it's too late for them and they're in range.

Totally agree with this.

sometimes that's just the way it is!

I had the same problem today, using 9 FUD and 4 full body... i keept changing the pattern and i managed to made the birds land into the decoys...

A little off topic i know, last summer i was watching through binoculars two guys decoying, they were under a flight line but the pigeons were flaring. What i could see from my position was the sun glinting on the arms of their magnet, it was like tiny mirrors. I did think about driving over and telling them what i could see, but after 15 minutes they took the magnet in, after that, pigeons were dropping in to the decoys freely. I know the OP wasnt using a magnet, but it does show how picky the birds can be.

A little off topic i know, last summer i was watching through binoculars two guys decoying, they were under a flight line but the pigeons were flaring. What i could see from my position was the sun glinting on the arms of their magnet, it was like tiny mirrors. I did think about driving over and telling them what i could see, but after 15 minutes they took the magnet in, after that, pigeons were dropping in to the decoys freely. I know the OP wasnt using a magnet, but it does show how picky the birds can be.

Painted my magnet with green stove paint. :)

From what you've said I would guess at your floater.if you have it at the opening of your U the birds don't like to pass .I don't like or use them any more but if I was I would put it 10-15 yds to the side and same on the other side.

As for your net as long as it breaks up your shape it's fine especially as your in front of a tree.Try to sit still and only move when the birds are in your zone,practice getting up and mounting the gun quickly and smoothly.

Hth

Fielddweller

A perfectly sensible observation. That may be what happened to me yesterday.

Last year I watched two people decoying in the summer through my binoculars. Birds were flaring well before the pattern and I believe it was due to the reflection of a pair of outsize sunglasses perched on top of one man's head.

Yesterday a very slow day shooting over rape, as I shot birds they where added to the pattern the odd bird still came in ok. Until I put one shot bird on the ground with wings out stretched simulating movement/landing, Pigeons coming to the pattern all of a sudden jinked away? folded wings up put pigeon on a cradle birds came back in.

If they are veering away sharply they are being frightened by some thing.

If they are easing away and drifting away they are just not committing.

If your on rape try a blob formation with your decoys. Lots of decoys all

tight together. That's often how they feed on rape. Move your floaters about.

I found last week they were really committed. This week they were very hard to

Get in. The rape is now higher and the birds seem to be going in to spring mode

round here. My rape shooting looks like it may be over unless it gets cold out.

Good luck DP

If they are veering away sharply they are being frightened by some thing.

If they are easing away and drifting away they are just not committing.

If your on rape try a blob formation with your decoys. Lots of decoys all

tight together. That's often how they feed on rape. Move your floaters about.

I found last week they were really committed. This week they were very hard to

Get in. The rape is now higher and the birds seem to be going in to spring mode

round here. My rape shooting looks like it may be over unless it gets cold out.

Good luck DP

Why?

I am going off bouncers as I feel that they often inhibit incoming birds if they are not in exactly the right place. As an aside, the pigeons today decoyed much better once the rotary had been taken in.

If you watch natural bird patterns they will not overfly lifting birds. If you place your flapper,bouncer, angels at the front of the pattern they are unlikely to land but veer off. If you reverse the process and place them at the rear of the pattern they will come close and even land if you let them. The next time you are out try it and see.