Pigeons veering away tips

Charlie_79

i must have shot dum/thick pigeons last week was sat on a field that's ready to be set with pea's there no cover in the field just open space windy as help my cheap hide was getting blown all over only used it was a wall sat in front of the hide with me back to the hide facing my decoys just put out in any shape about 20 yards out in no camo just jeans and a green jumper still had a dozen in a hour befor i got **** off with wind blowing a gale it did slowed the pigeons down to make them easy to shoot lol

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont have a magnet i have quite a pigeon hotspot on rape dont know how to get them in to range as its a rape field and its over waist height and imo no point putting decoys out there lost of near by tree that the pigeons roost in and the field is surrounded by a beech hedge might ask someone to join me if they got a magnet on this field or the just set pees

I would look for spots that are still flat from where the pigeons have and still are feeding. I leave the tall rape alone as in my opinion I could actually do more damage to the crop than the pigeons. Its also essential to have a good dog for the birds that drop into the taller crops. Its not very often I use a magnet (although I have one) on drilling. The times I use one on drilling I would more than likely set it up on the dyke side or headland etc and not on the drillings. Its only to attract the birds that are unable to see the decoys on the crop to come and take a look.

the problem is the hotspot of rape the flatten eaten parts are only out from the hedge by about 15-20 yards and that ne just set pees is only 2 fields in a direct row away these two fields are owned by separate farms and the ones in the middle and the two middle fields that is in a direct line with the pee's and rape is owned by another farm that i don't currently have permission on so i recon a magnet is needed to drew them from the rape to the pea's

Dont know if this helps but , I recently due to my age have decided to lighten the load,so have opted for 24 fuds . Previously I used a combination of shells flocked and painted,full bodied again flocked and painted and the birds would often flare off,even when the rotary was taken in.Since I started using the fuds only, the pigeons are decoying much better.Now I dont know if its due to the fuds being the same colour/shade and uniformed.

Dont know if this helps but , I recently due to my age have decided to lighten the load,so have opted for 24 fuds . Previously I used a combination of shells flocked and painted,full bodied again flocked and painted and the birds would often flare off,even when the rotary was taken in.Since I started using the fuds only, the pigeons are decoying much better.Now I dont know if its due to the fuds being the same colour/shade and uniformed.

I also use a combination of fuds and flocked shells and seems to work well. I don't have a magnet but i have bouncers which proved to be absolutely useless so far...

Shine from the painted plastics possibly?

A couple of things Ive learnt over the years and it worked for me yesterday on a drilled bean field is I will after a rain shower try to get all the water off the backs of my decoys,also try and not sit directly infront of the pigeons landing focus point by that I mean if you have a V pattern for your decoys sit slightly to one side of the point of the pattern.

Outlander

A couple of things Ive learnt over the years and it worked for me yesterday on a drilled bean field is I will after a rain shower try to get all the water off the backs of my decoys,also try and not sit directly infront of the pigeons landing focus point by that I mean if you have a V pattern for your decoys sit slightly to one side of the point of the pattern.

Outlander

I'm not sure if either of those things really matter.

If I suffer from them pulling away I always change some thing ! normally pulling in any floaters or the magnet....reduce the number of things out front, go back to basics slowly removing one item at a time, watch what happens for three or four birds and keep taking things in until they ether don't come at all or land in the killing area waiting for me !

if I think they could be seeing me, I take my hide down and disappear over the other side of the field , crawl under a hedge and watch what happens.

its a learning game...the quicker you learn the bigger the bags going to be :yahoo:

Motty, I think shine CAN be off putting.

I was out on Saturday just gone, decoy on a pea drilling. In the distance I could see a heavy rain shower approaching, so decided to go back to the car for a bit taking my lunch and dog with me. Once the rain had stopped and the sun came out I did notice that the HH rubber decoys all shone like mirrors. I was about 400 yards away.

The flocked shells and the couple of dead birds were fine though.

I do know that when I used to do a bit of goose decoying in Scotland, that shine really did put the geese off.

I'm not sure if either of those things really matter.

Edited by Penelope

• 4 weeks later...

If the birds are not decoying and veering away ,I look at the hide is it providing enough cover especially behind the shooter . A branch or two snapped out of a elderberry bush or dead grass can make all the difference at times, think of the times you've walked away from your hide and the birds decoy perfectly to me it points to the birds seeing movement. If you watch someone decoying especially on a bright day more times than not you will see the gun barrels glinting as the shooter gets ready to shoot.

If we could all start off with twenty birds at the start of a session ( I realise that's not possible for most of us me included) there would be less talk of birds not decoying well. On rape in the colder months I've found that you might only get a hour or two when the birds will come to the field before they get fed up with being shot at , so by the time you have enough birds down it's all over for the day. Magnets glinting can be a problem a few weeks back I was on a rape field with two flight lines coming to the decoys , one line would decoy the other nearly all veered away before getting anywhere near in range , I ended up walking out and looking back at the pattern from the direction they were coming from and the motor on the magnet was glinting, I ended up rubbing mud on it , problem solved . I ended up with forty but it could and should have been nearer sixty

Not necessarily.

Quite right.But my point is,him being seen or moving will not be the cause.It's a quick way to find out and it saves all the upheavel of moving the rotary, flappers,shells etc.It could be a multitude of things but by taking himself out of the equasion is a good place to start.Quick and easy to do and will very often prove to be the problem.