First Field Visit From Kent Police Today

belly47

Whilst out shooting today with Worzel Gummidge ( pw member) we had our first encounter with kent police.

the long and the short of it was that a couple dog walking ( on private field ) were taking an interest in wozels land rover and moaning about us shooting. she marched up to our hide and started telling us that it is illegal to shoot where we were and that she had phoned the police who had confirmed the same to her.

we replied that's fine im sure it will all be sorted when they turn up, she seemed to get more agitated as it was obvious we was not concerned by her, she then asked if we had permission and demanded to see proof, I replied I do have permission but do not have to prove to you that we can be here.

she was even less pleased when we asked if she had permission to walk her dog and could we see the proof. so off she went swearing away to all and sundry.

now we had two choices, do we pack up and leave to save hassle(and look guilty in the process) or remain and see what happens as we know we are ok to be there.

we decided on the latter and carried on when the farmer turned up and said he had received a complaint we explained it all to him and his comment was "she is a nutter, crack on boys"

10 minutes later the law arrived, so we came out the hide and after showing them that our guns were empty spent the next few minutes having a chat about shooting and decoys etc. they checked our details and made a note of our names for future reference in case the women complains again they can tell her that they know who we are and that we have a right to be there.

basically the police were absolutely first class, never at any point did they seem to suggest that we should not be there or anything of the sort, after they took our details it was hand shakes all round and wished us luck for the rest of the day.

wonder what mrs anti shooting lady made of that i wonder !!!!

Was it near a new housing estate ? People from them seem to think they bought the surrounding fields when they bought the link-detached. I had an angry woman confront me on the Isle of Grain, complaining about the poor suffering pigeons, ranting on about being a vegetarian.

Our issues was not so simple we had just arrived at the golf course and as i was checking the area for un wanted golfers, even though we had checked in with the club and and Police control room, this male jumped over the gate and started walking towards me he was wearing a hoody and jeans and he walked up and said "POLICE are you allowed to be here" i asked to see his warrant card which he said that it was in his car, i said thats fine ill wait, so off he went to his car and came back with it he said with attitude there you go, so it seemed ok i said "Yes sir if you like to check with your control room you will see i have checked in and if you would like to read this letter it clearly states im allowed to be here", then all he said was right answer and turned around and walked off, i have no issues being checked but somthing about it didnt seem right and the attitude was all wrong.

cheers Phil

Was it near a new housing estate ? People from them seem to think they bought the surrounding fields when they bought the link-detached. I had an angry woman confront me on the Isle of Grain, complaining about the poor suffering pigeons, ranting on about being a vegetarian.

There are a couple of houses about 300 yds behind us where we sit in the hide but no estates.

Me and Belly reckon its the same stuck up lady who was rude to us a few weeks ago, complaining we shouldn't walk around with our guns while she is walking her dog.

And she also tried to blame us for killing a badger that was obviously run over by a car, hence the caved in head and being next to a road, lol

I did take the dog for a long walk yesterday around the permission hoping to bump into her and gloat but I couldn't find her, shame.

As Belly said, the farmer and the cops were brilliant, however its still puts a bit of a dampener on your day, especially after shooting naf all as well!

Worzel

Have a chat with the farmer first to gain his support and then read her the riot act next time she comes on with the dog, trespass can become criminal in many ways not least if she interferes with your lawful activity of crop protection. Hopefully she will get the hint following this occasion

I got permission to shoot on a national park and believe me you have to be so careful dealing the general public,people do turn up in locations that they are not suppose to be,the way I try to combat this is I always position my truck in plain view and place inside the windscreen a notice say (Shooting in Progress be Aware), and together with my name,this way it prevents the general public from being taken by surprise,also I don't dispatch and try not shoot whilst Joe public is in view,I also follow my own 300 mtr from public rights of way rule when set up in hide.If Joe public looks likely to encounter me I also let them know of my presence by standing out of hide and un-camouflaging my face with gun pointing down,and as always be very polite and friendly, all this effort believe me do's pay off.Just one final note always tell the relevant people were and when you will be on there land and your intentions,ferreting/shooting ect. Happy Hunting.

Our issues was not so simple we had just arrived at the golf course and as i was checking the area for un wanted golfers, even though we had checked in with the club and and Police control room, this male jumped over the gate and started walking towards me he was wearing a hoody and jeans and he walked up and said "POLICE are you allowed to be here" i asked to see his warrant card which he said that it was in his car, i said thats fine ill wait, so off he went to his car and came back with it he said with attitude there you go, so it seemed ok i said "Yes sir if you like to check with your control room you will see i have checked in and if you would like to read this letter it clearly states im allowed to be here", then all he said was right answer and turned around and walked off, i have no issues being checked but somthing about it didnt seem right and the attitude was all wrong.

cheers Phil

Was he a special? They can have an attitude sometimes.

There are a couple of houses about 300 yds behind us where we sit in the hide but no estates.

Me and Belly reckon its the same stuck up lady who was rude to us a few weeks ago, complaining we shouldn't walk around with our guns while she is walking her dog.

And she also tried to blame us for killing a badger that was obviously run over by a car, hence the caved in head and being next to a road, lol

I did take the dog for a long walk yesterday around the permission hoping to bump into her and gloat but I couldn't find her, shame.

As Belly said, the farmer and the cops were brilliant, however its still puts a bit of a dampener on your day, especially after shooting naf all as well!

Worzel

Well handled, the public think the "Right to roam" legislation gives them permission to go anywhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Well done guys for keeping your cool and not being put off from what you were perfectly entitled to do. It amazes me the distorted world an increasing number of people live in. More often than not as they stand there telling you that you can't do this or that, arguing that black is white etc., they are the ones actually commiting an offence through trespass (aggravated you could argue as their rant is designed to try to intimidate you out of your activity) whilst having themselves often broken down a (repaired!) barrier to access private land...or are 300yds or more from a footpath....Or you've just watched them run their dog off the lead through a field of ewes about to lamb (I love National Parks and the increased visitor numbers!).

You handled it well because you refused to be drawn into defending your actions but demanded an explanation as to what she was doing. It puts her on the back foot and leaves her nowhere to go because she has NO EXCUSE. She'll still whinge that you've harrassed her, or you were very agressive ....and sneak off to tell tales to the farmer that you are bad and nasty men who were mean to her..............it's the cowardliness of it all that I find sickening.