Top Gun.....Top Man

marsh man

Morning All........I have been reading the posts on here a few months now and there has been a lot of talk about lack of pigeons, not hungry, too mild ,too much rape, ect. ect ect. but one man keep coming up with the goods on a regular basis and that is JDOG . I am sure if he was in another area he would be getting pigeons where other people would be saying there isn't much about. I don't know the person , but I met a chap who he took out for the day and he was saying what a nice genuine chap he is. To get pigeons on a regular basis like he do needs a lot of work in looking ,field craft , setting up and shooting well...so if I had to vote for the Top Gun it would be JDOG by a mile.

Morning All........I have been reading the posts on here a few months now and there has been a lot of talk about lack of pigeons, not hungry, too mild ,too much rape, ect. ect ect. but one man keep coming up with the goods on a regular basis and that is JDOG . I am sure if he was in another area he would be getting pigeons where other people would be saying there isn't much about. I don't know the person , but I met a chap who he took out for the day and he was saying what a nice genuine chap he is. To get pigeons on a regular basis like he do needs a lot of work in looking ,field craft , setting up and shooting well...so if I had to vote for the Top Gun it would be JDOG by a mile.

You obviously don't read all the posts in the picture section do you,there is one poster who controls pigeons,his name slips my mind at the moment :lol: you should have a look .

I would agree JDog seems a very nice chap , not met him in person yet but have had several conversations via PM with him and his thoughts on most subjects tend to sit well with my own.

Having said that he also seems a fairly modest type so do not think he will be keen of being put on a pedestal .

I am also sure there are plenty of other very good pigeon shooters on the forum , but at the end of the day you do need the pigeon about to make regular bags and for those of us with limited land to shoot it is always going to be difficult .

JDog does make some very good bags , but what I like is he seems equally happy writing about days where he has shot 20 as he is 200.

For me I would agree although ive not met either of them they could certainly teach me a thing or two about decoying and probably other types of shooting aswell the twl mentioned would have to be PIGEON CONTROLLER AND JDOG and as stated im sure both could teach us all a thing or two

really!! if there isn't any birds in your area more importantly on the farms you shoot on you aint gonna do didly squat no matter who you are, I,m not slagging anybody off by the way just stating a fact

I have been reading this forum for a while now and posting occasionally if I think I can help. It seems to me there are at least half a dozen members who really know what they are talking about JDOG being one of them as for being a nice bloke I will have to take your word for that as I have not had the pleasure of meeting him. There is also a fair bit of ********

posted which does the newcomers to the sport no good at all. I have been shooting pigeon for around 45 years now and apart from the flappers and whirlys and new gadgets very little has changed. I used to make hide poles and floaters from hazel sticks and and cradles were made from fence straining wire. I am more than happy to pass on the knowledge I have gained over the years but many things cannot be taught but will come with experience.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with JDog at the recent shooting show and being a true gent he bought me a coffee and we had a chat about the art of Pigeon Shooting. I found him to be very knowledgable about our sport , he asked the right questions and gave the right answers to our brief discussion. In my opinion he is one of the number of excellent pigeon shooters that we have inputting on this forum and give the number of birds in his area he is more that adequate in reducing the numbers.

p.s.

JDog is that alright and is the cheque in the post????????????????

I had the pleasure of meeting up with JDog at the recent shooting show and being a true gent he bought me a coffee and we had a chat about the art of Pigeon Shooting. I found him to be very knowledgable about our sport , he asked the right questions and gave the right answers to our brief discussion. In my opinion he is one of the number of excellent pigeon shooters that we have inputting on this forum and give the number of birds in his area he is more that adequate in reducing the numbers.

p.s.

JDog is that alright and is the cheque in the post? ???? ???? ???? ???

no you wont get a cheque....his flat cap has just had a litter and you will be getting one of those !!

Hi Guys.......Looking at some of the other posts I agree 100% no one can get pigeons if there are no pigeons on your ground at all, but to be a sucsesful decoyer is a combination of skills, ex. looking at fields the right time of day ,setting up where the birds are and not where its easy to get to, using the wind to your advantage, reading the birds reaction when they commit to the decoys, and so on, and so on. These people who get pigeons on a regular basis know all that and a lot more, there is a section in Archie Coats book about advanced decoying where he tries different ways to get a few birds when things are quiet ,to know all this takes years in a hide and people like Jdog, Pigeon Controller ,and a lot of other guys on this site have done it, that is what I meant when I said he could get pigeons when other people with less experance would not be able to. i hold my hand up if I offended any body but that was never my intension .I was just giving him credit for the bags he get and helping other guys .My second choice would have been Pigeon Controller if he smiled a bit more ,no I am only joking in Norfolk he would be known as a good ole boy, I would love to get half he gets and so would a lot of other people.

Hi Guys.......Looking at some of the other posts I agree 100% no one can get pigeons if there are no pigeons on your ground at all, but to be a sucsesful decoyer is a combination of skills, ex. looking at fields the right time of day ,setting up where the birds are and not where its easy to get to, using the wind to your advantage, reading the birds reaction when they commit to the decoys, and so on, and so on. These people who get pigeons on a regular basis know all that and a lot more, there is a section in Archie Coats book about advanced decoying where he tries different ways to get a few birds when things are quiet ,to know all this takes years in a hide and people like Jdog, Pigeon Controller ,and a lot of other guys on this site have done it, that is what I meant when I said he could get pigeons when other people with less experance would not be able to. i hold my hand up if I offended any body but that was never my intension .I was just giving him credit for the bags he get and helping other guys .My second choice would have been Pigeon Controller if he smiled a bit more ,no I am only joking in Norfolk he would be known as a good ole boy, I would love to get half he gets and so would a lot of other people.

[/quote

I am smiling its just the Tash that hide it I really am a happy chappy

Good post marsh man and I agree with everything you said. I think we had it slightly easier years ago as there were not so many pigeon shooters about I used to shoot over many thousands of acres and could pretty much be sure of finding a decent feed of pigeons to shoot any time I chose (at the right time of year that is) now I have a lot less land but what I do have I have to myself and take pleasure in taking people out shooting.