Recommend me an air rifle

double10

Hi all,

Currently I have a gamo whisper 12ft/lb springer .22 and I use it for rabbits, squirrel and targets. I think it's perfectly fine for targets, but I would like a pre charged perhaps for rabbits. I find the gamo is just too light so it jumps around when you fire and often the scope needs re calibration, also the barrel is a bit long and ungainly. Price range is a max of £400 say, which pcp air rifle 12ft/lb .22 for that can you recommend me?

cheers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Mr Mole said if you want charging gear with it you can knock about £100 off your budget so you would be in BSA Ultra or Hatsan AT44 territory for a new PCP or second hand you may land a single shot air arms 400 or something of that level. Again to Echo what Mole said £400 would buy you one hell of a decent springer probably with a scope as well thrown in.

Have a look on GUNSTAR loads on there. Or GUNTRADER & GUN WATCH.

There`s an HW 97KT with a stage 1 Sandwell Fieldsports tune for £295.

Also an AA S200 MK3 with scope and Silencer for £295.

There`s a few Hatsan AT 44s on there a few with Walnut Stocks.

A lot of gun for the money. I prefer the Walnut Stocked it`s better Balanced.

You get 2 x 10 shot mags. Air gauge. Walther match Barrel. So very Accurate.

www.abgunsmiths.co.uk Have a special offer on the Hatsan AT 44 - 10 W.

Brand new Ex Display Walnut Stocked with 12 months Edgar Brothers Warranty £325.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Hatsan AT44 is a good gun! I loved mine when I had it. I got it in 177 and my mate had one in 22 and after a while he swapped it for a 177 too. Great flat trajectory to 40 yards. A little heavy for standing shots, but with sticks are great. Reloading mechanism is nice with a side lever and rotary mag you can see how many you have left easily. Fairly quick and quiet too.

Obviously they are no latest Daystate, but they are great value for money.

816666B4-A94D-4C31-8C77-5ADE8DF610C7-545

Hatsan AT44 is a good gun! I loved mine when I had it. I got it in 177 and my mate had one in 22 and after a while he swapped it for a 177 too. Great flat trajectory to 40 yards. A little heavy for standing shots, but with sticks are great. Reloading mechanism is nice with a side lever and rotary mag you can see how many you have left easily. Fairly quick and quiet too.

Obviously they are no latest Daystate, but they are great value for money.

816666B4-A94D-4C31-8C77-5ADE8DF610C7-545

(Spoken in camp voice)... "Oh look ah him mossy oak! I prefer real wood myself...."

ng1.jpg

(Spoken in camp voice)... "Oh look ah him mossy oak! I prefer real wood myself...."

ng1.jpg

Nice!

Haha, I didn't particularly want the camo, but my RFD had it in his gunroom and I had a few hundred quids burning a hole in my pocket haha :-). PLus have a habbit of wanting to take said purchasses from RFD STRAIGHT to my perm and play rather than wait for one on order haha :-).

The real wood looks really nice though!

did find one for £315 incl extra mag and an air tank with connector but sod's law would have it the guy decided not to sell it. From studying my gamo today, I came to the conclusion that due to its light weight and high power, the reason for inaccuracy is due to the amount of kick after pulling the trigger but before the pellet leaves the muzzle, I assume this couldn't be an issue with a pcp gun could it?

RFDs vary enormously! could be anything from about £15-40, and then some charge a release fee as well! Best idea is to phone both shops and see how much it'll work out as. But my suspicion is that although they're on special offer, you'd spend as much as sourcing one locally, once you've included the postage and handling.

(BTW, No, you won't have the problem of recoil with a PCP. Recoil on a springer is caused by the spring being released and returning to an unsprung state. With a PCP this doesn't happen, as the pressure comes from a pre-charged cylinder. you might get the tiniest of shudders from some guns with a less than polished action, but it's negligible and won't affect the gun's performance.)

A.B. Gunsmiths usually charge £25 has do most RFDs around Manchester.

Arthur Branthwaite Gunsmiths 0161 485 1199.

Has Chris says have a ring round and have a good look at the figures.

Unless you go to a gun shop to buy a gun you will have RFD charges.

At £325 for a brand new Walnut stocked gun with a warranty will be very hard to beat.

£325 for the gun. £110 for a 3 filtered pump. Just leaves a Scope and Silencer.

If you phone and speak to Arthur he might throw in a Silencer or a Scope.

Good Luck

Russ.

did find one for £315 incl extra mag and an air tank with connector but sod's law would have it the guy decided not to sell it. From studying my gamo today, I came to the conclusion that due to its light weight and high power, the reason for inaccuracy is due to the amount of kick after pulling the trigger but before the pellet leaves the muzzle, I assume this couldn't be an issue with a pcp gun could it?

the biggest difference to the user is that you can look through the scope and see the shot land... a thing you can't really achieve with the scope jump on a springer. A nice novelty when doing targets, but also good for keeping your eye on the rabbit and reloading for a second shot or a second bunny without having to move your head.

The Hatsan does not charge to a high pressure (ie about 200 bar, best to fill to 190 mind). So a 232 bar 12 litre cylinder will keep you going for yonks and ages! 232 bars are being got rid of by us power crazed fools who have regulated guns that fill to 232 bar like the R10 and Super 10, so there are usually a few on the for sale pages!

Hi all,

Currently I have a gamo whisper 12ft/lb springer .22 and I use it for rabbits, squirrel and targets. I think it's perfectly fine for targets, but I would like a pre charged perhaps for rabbits. I find the gamo is just too light so it jumps around when you fire and often the scope needs re calibration, also the barrel is a bit long and ungainly. Price range is a max of £400 say, which pcp air rifle 12ft/lb .22 for that can you recommend me?

cheers

If you have decent permission and rabbits $400 will pick you up a very nice scoped up CZ 452 in .22 lr, just saying beats the heck out of a 12 ftlb air rifle. I see an airgun mail order advert in one of the comics I have here (bought last week while waiting for some profile cutting doing sat in Starbucks for an hour) says you can get a brand new HW95 springer 3.5-10x44 OA, IR gameking Scope, mounts, gunslip and 500 pellets £370 (so well within budget). There is no bunny that should be anything other than dead at sensible range with such a rig. Spend a bit later on having a v-mach conversion and it will be an awesome vermin gun within the bounds of any airgun. Second hand you could way better that, exactly how many bunnies are you wishing to shoot? over how much ground? Selling the existing might make things easier, having been there personally there is no point collecting such guns