plugster

I make that a ratio of kills of 1 in 4 shots. I think that's good shooting and about average for shooters. What do others achieve ?

Unless it was shooting at really high flighting birds, then I would say it was poor shooting. If it was over decoys, I would say that's a well below average ratio.

That doesn't mean the shooting wasn't enjoyable for the OP, though.

motty is absolutely correct it was very poor shooting when you consider the conditions, just enough wind to turn the majority of birds in text book fashion to present themselves beautifully over the kill zone and I just couldn't, no matter how hard I tried I just failed to keep the gun swinging and consequently missed behind !! the annoying thing was I knew exactly what I was doing after the first few shots but just had a mental block and struggled with it all day.

however on the plus side I forgot to add the two jackdaws I shot to the total so is it still 1 in 4?

motty is absolutely correct it was very poor shooting when you consider the conditions, just enough wind to turn the majority of birds in text book fashion to present themselves beautifully over the kill zone and I just couldn't, no matter how hard I tried I just failed to keep the gun swinging and consequently missed behind !! the annoying thing was I knew exactly what I was doing after the first few shots but just had a mental block and struggled with it all day.

however on the plus side I forgot to add the two jackdaws I shot to the total so is it still 1 in 4?

Bu**er how many shots you took or how many you killed you got out and did something you enjoyed and had some success at it. Yes it is good to want to do better and to improve but to just get out there and shoot is the joy.

On my perms the Rape has suffered badly with flea beetle and the attentions of the partridge eating the flea beetle so over 40% of the field is bare earth while what is left is not even 2cm tall. Around us we have four huge rape fields so that is where the pigeons go and sadly where I can not go. So switching guns to the .22lr and getting back into rabbit shooting.

NickB65 ,

your so right, doing something you enjoy is what its all about

Congatulations on getting 112 shots......

Well done.

cheers fella that's the first time in more than twenty years ive managed that, mind you that's only the second time ive spent all day in a pigeon hide in twenty years the first time was two weeks ago but I only managed 56 shots for 14

atb plugster

Just been looking at Plugster post and nobody said what they thought a decent average is, some said they would have been happy with 1 in 4 and then some not so happy. I would been with the boys who wont have been happy. I am not a good shot by no means but over decoys most of you who shoot a lot of pigeons would average 2 out of 3 or higher. In woods or shooting them on there flight lines is different you shoot what you are capital of , but over decoys they are roughly the same for most of us, if I have got any distance to walk with my gear I will take 50 shells and out of that I would hope to shoot 30 to 35 if I used them all I would carry them back to my car and take another box if I intended to stay but nowadays I only go for the afternoon as my ole back get stiff siting about for to long. We all have P B and for the guys who are in the 60 to 70 mark hope that one day every thing will go right and they will get the magic ton. to do it you would have to do better than 1 in 4 as to fire 400 plus shots this day and age would take some doing. When I shot my first 100 bag I had 6 boxes of shells and after I had used 100 I knew I had about 70 so I knew if I carried on shooting as I was I would be close in getting there and when I finished I had 106 for 150 cartridges, but im sure Plugster had a good and enjoyable day and if he go a bit more often his average will only get better good luck to him.

Just been looking at Plugster post and nobody said what they thought a decent average is, some said they would have been happy with 1 in 4 and then some not so happy. I would been with the boys who wont have been happy. I am not a good shot by no means but over decoys most of you who shoot a lot of pigeons would average 2 out of 3 or higher. In woods or shooting them on there flight lines is different you shoot what you are capital of , but over decoys they are roughly the same for most of us, if I have got any distance to walk with my gear I will take 50 shells and out of that I would hope to shoot 30 to 35 if I used them all I would carry them back to my car and take another box if I intended to stay but nowadays I only go for the afternoon as my ole back get stiff siting about for to long. We all have P B and for the guys who are in the 60 to 70 mark hope that one day every thing will go right and they will get the magic ton. to do it you would have to do better than 1 in 4 as to fire 400 plus shots this day and age would take some doing. When I shot my first 100 bag I had 6 boxes of shells and after I had used 100 I knew I had about 70 so I knew if I carried on shooting as I was I would be close in getting there and when I finished I had 106 for 150 cartridges, but im sure Plugster had a good and enjoyable day and if he go a bit more often his average will only get better good luck to him.

I guess what is a good ratio is down to what a shooter normally gets around , I mean if you usually shoot 8-1 and shoot 6-1 for the day I would say you should be happy.

For me personally if the birds are decoying well I hate to shoot worse than 2-1 and usually average a little less than that , of course lots will also depend on what birds you take on .

As always getting out and enjoying it is the main thing , and I think the way my pigeon shooting has been of late I would perhaps be happy to shoot 112 -0 :lol:

Yes I know what your saying Fenboy that is about enjoying the day, but its even more enjoyable when you knock a few down rather than moan to yourself for keep missing. Another thing that people might agree or disagree is you need more shooting skill with a magnet out than with static decoys, when they are drawn in to a magnet there confused and going from side to side when they come in there still shootable but a bit harder than just having dead pigeons out with no magnet, when they come in then they know where there going and don't seem as nervous as when coming in to a magnet so making hitting them less hard.

The important thing is clean kills and enjoying your sport. Practice does help with ratios. I occasionally have a count up during a slow period and it's usually around 2-2.5 to 1. If or when I have bad days I just think i'm doing my bit for conservation and cartridge sales. But the important thing is your still fit enough to be there so enjoy the day. Many less fortunate would love to have 122 shots for 27.

Yes I know what your saying Fenboy that is about enjoying the day, but its even more enjoyable when you knock a few down rather than moan to yourself for keep missing. Another thing that people might agree or disagree is you need more shooting skill with a magnet out than with static decoys, when they are drawn in to a magnet there confused and going from side to side when they come in there still shootable but a bit harder than just having dead pigeons out with no magnet, when they come in then they know where there going and don't seem as nervous as when coming in to a magnet so making hitting them less hard.

I absolutely agree , that more marksmanship is needed to shoot good bags over a magnet.

The thing is though using the magnet may well get you more shots even though chances are they will be more difficult .

I had a day like that a couple of years ago, a proper bad day probably worse than yours mate. Couldn't hit a thing.

End of the day had a pigeon come in straight in front at about 20yrds, flared to land, pointed, blotted it out, fired both barrels, missed! It flew (slowly) over my head.............. I stood up and literally threw my gun at it! Guess what.......... I MISSED! Packed up, went home and sold my (scratched) gun.

I feel your pain brother!