Does anyone here work with stainless?

Lord Geordie

Hi Chaps.

My old man is looking for a griddle for his BBQ. He is looking for a griddle 14" deep by 9" wide to fit the thing. He has looked online but they are all too deep to fit. Only needs a lip on 3 sides, so perhaps bend the back and front up and weld a side on?

Does anyone on here work with stainless who can perhaps weld up a pan to said dimensions please? If so how much? He needs an idea of cost if I cant find one in the meantime?

Thanks!

Have you thought about the fact it will warp during high temperatures? And almost certainly not go back to its original shape before you go to any expense!

It won't be really high temps! It is to act as a warmer! Silly duffer dropped the cast one :oops:

He is getting on now and struggling with motor functions. Was a radio, radar tech in the RAF and at one point could fix anything. Now the ravages of time have taken their toll. I was down there today sorting his roof, and fixing the shed after some little scrote had his petrol mover and strimmer away :angry:

He was making dinner for us both today and dropped the cast iron griddle. He got quite upset as it's all getting to him.

I told him I would try and sort another for him.

Just wish some people would go to work for a living and not prey on those who do!

Still, doing things for him gives me great pleasure! As I get to spend quality time with him :D

Edited by Lord Geordie

Needs to be TIG Welded Mate, not ordinary steel, it has Chrome content.

you can weld it with MMA with stainless rods (good outdoors in the wind) or MIG with stainless wire (faster if clean up does not have to be perfectly done). TIG just needs less clean up time and creates a neater bead. For these purposes I doubt it matters about looking perfect and re-grained.

Have you thought about the fact it will warp during high temperatures? And almost certainly not go back to its original shape before you go to any expense!

I doubt it, none of the stainless on my bbq has warped and i've had it very very hot!

Have you got a picture of what it is you need? I've got a few stainless bits on my bbq and might be able to offer advice but got no stainless left

I work with stainless, The price in materials is high but should have an offcut to work with cutting and working is harder to guillotine without warpage on smaller strips to start with. I am assuming you just want a three sided tray as a hot plate and not a griddle with roundbar?, matt its fabricating the part that could warp as when finished artical the thing is warming and cooling in a uniform fashion so goes back without warpage but fabricating stainless it can warp atb wayne

Edited by mereside